DT Jeff Worthy

last minute but didnt know who he was or had their eye on him?? really? cmon the guy was impressive in the state. and as far as the lower level competition comment. oh yeah. ask anyone in the area. they will laugh and say you mean powder puff football? its that bad guys and thats why my perception is hard to break.

last minute but didnt know who he was or had their eye on him?? really? cmon the guy was impressive in the state. and as far as the lower level competition comment. oh yeah. ask anyone in the area. they will laugh and say you mean powder puff football? its that bad guys and thats why my perception is hard to break.

It was by circumstance that they decided to offer him a scholarship at the last minute because it depended on whether other possible recruits would be signing with us or not, hence staying within the scholarship limit. That whole scenario went down to the wire just before National Letter of Intent Day. But the weeks leading up to LOI day, the coaches let it be known that whether he walked on or was offered a scholly in the end, that they'd be using him as an ATH and not a QB.

like i said before, its not complete doubt, the situation could be a freak one and he somehow got recruited and convinced to go to Whittier Christian. Its that bad...especially when servite is down the road. The possibility of this being a good player looking great cause of competition is decent. My point being fools gold. I hope he's great. i hope our staff is right. all im saying if there is one that i could look at and say wait a minute then it would be this one. along with Aaron at La Mirada. i think anyone in the country would fall in love with those numbers and give him a look so im not suprised about USC. thats fine. but look ive seen the top dogs in cali play. Lakewood, Poly, mater dei, coronoa centenniel, mission viejo, OLU, De La Salle, all of them. They've had some special players and those numbers are freakish and dont happen in their divisions. look at his tape, hes absolutely mad handling every single lineman, and making them look like rag dolls. Obviously hes a good player, but i think the whole california perception might have people all excited when they dont know about the situation. and the whole coaches being right on everything, cmon give me a break you're gonna tell me that they're right 100%? most of the time sure, but this one has the potential to be the one.

remember bronson marsh was a very good qb in the state of nebraska but now they dont even want him to play qb and he has good enough measurables.

ok off the top of my head im not sure what the lowest division is but they're close. Look you guys would be skeptical in the state of nebraska and so would everyone else if a d lineman played in one of the lowest divisions and dominated. I love his measurables, and speed. no question about it. Nike camps are great but i know a lot of kids who couldnt play at san diego st and went to those camps so im not too sold on that one. You would have to throw this kid in the elite all star game in california to prove to me he is "Worthy" of this attention.

Look its not that i want to hate and bash on this kid, i want him to be great and hope nothing but the best for him. i hate being proved wrong but i would love for this staff and this kid to do that. I'm rooting for him now. But id probably take the other guys on the board first

We've beaten this to death so I'm done after this. No one recruited him to go to WC....that's silly. He "choose" to go there for the religious aspects of the education. He could have gone to LaHabra very easily. You need to get off the WC thing. No one is comparing them to Servite and the other schools you site. I'm on Cali and I've seen them all upclose as well.

Bottom-line, the kid is 6'4 280, plays basketball, is athletic, and has a lot of swagger to him. Is WC a power - no. But they've helped develop a kid who by the time it's done, will have offers from pretty close to all the major confernces in the nation - Big 12 included. He's humbled that the Huskers have offered him.

It was by circumstance that they decided to offer him a scholarship at the last minute because it depended on whether other possible recruits would be signing with us or not, hence staying within the scholarship limit. That whole scenario went down to the wire just before National Letter of Intent Day. But the weeks leading up to LOI day, the coaches let it be known that whether he walked on or they offered him a scholly in the end, that they'd be using him as an ATH and not a QB.

And thats all fine, but im not talking about his situation when it comes to schollie, walk on or any of that.. my point being is that in that state, he was the top qb, or at least one of them. He was impressive in his tape just like the Worthy kid. But turns out the position he looked good playing wont be the one he'll be playing at nebraska. because they dont feel he's good enough. Cause if they did thats what he would be. for sure QB. That same outlook is mine on Worthy, I cant project a kid who doesnt play anyone. If the kid had to deal with 6ft3in 260 lbs or more lineman with talent and great coaching like in the upper divisions in Cali, then im 100% N. but since he is not, i cannot fully fall under the trap that he is this great prospect.

It was by circumstance that they decided to offer him a scholarship at the last minute because it depended on whether other possible recruits would be signing with us or not, hence staying within the scholarship limit. That whole scenario went down to the wire just before National Letter of Intent Day. But the weeks leading up to LOI day, the coaches let it be known that whether he walked on or they offered him a scholly in the end, that they'd be using him as an ATH and not a QB.

And thats all fine, but im not talking about his situation when it comes to schollie, walk on or any of that.. my point being is that in that state, he was the top qb, or at least one of them. He was impressive in his tape just like the Worthy kid. But turns out the position he looked good playing wont be the one he'll be playing at nebraska. because they dont feel he's good enough. Cause if they did thats what he would be. for sure QB. That same outlook is mine on Worthy, I cant project a kid who doesnt play anyone. If the kid had to deal with 6ft3in 260 lbs or more lineman with talent and great coaching like in the upper divisions in Cali, then im 100% N. but since he is not, i cannot fully fall under the trap that he is this great prospect.

To quote myself again:

This is just one of those instances where you either have faith in the staff or you don't.

It's that simple. I understand where you're coming from, but in the end, it's not up to us, is it?

Like I said before, I'm not going to question the defensive staff on what to look for in recruits. Especially a defensive staff that any other program would kill to have.

of course its not up to us, I mean they know what they're doing for the most part obviously. My point on this was not to say this kid shouldnt deserve anything and that there is no way he will be great. but i saw all these suh comparisons and well thats foolish. my point was to ease everyone off this kid and understand the full situation cause from my perspective just by lookin at it, it looks like a bad call. now i dont know the kid and it would be so sick if he was that good. then bring him on board and lets get some more.but someone needed to calm down those comments about how good he looks cause he plays nobody and when it comes to evaluation time, that will be his biggest knock and rightfully so, its apart of the process

of course its not up to us, I mean they know what they're doing for the most part obviously. My point on this was not to say this kid shouldnt deserve anything and that there is no way he will be great. but i saw all these suh comparisons and well thats foolish. my point was to ease everyone off this kid and understand the full situation cause from my perspective just by lookin at it, it looks like a bad call. now i dont know the kid and it would be so sick if he was that good. then bring him on board and lets get some more.but someone needed to calm down those comments about how good he looks cause he plays nobody and when it comes to evaluation time, that will be his biggest knock and rightfully so, its apart of the process

It's cool. The Suh comparison was made with the disclaimer that he looked like a HS (High School) version of Suh in those films. It didn't mean that I'm expecting him to be like or that he'll ever be like Suh. It was the way he was playing on film that drew such a comparison. The use of his hands when disengaging blockers, the numerous plays of him running a player down after he got past the line of scrimmage, along with a couple of pass break-up plays here and there. It was very Suh-like.

His level of competition was irrelevant at first glance. That wasn't my intention when I made that comparison. I think you took the Suh comparison too literally, but it's all good. I was just curious why you were so adamant in downplaying the kids film in multiple posts. We've all said our piece and I'm okay with leaving it at that. ;)

like i said before, its not complete doubt, the situation could be a freak one and he somehow got recruited and convinced to go to Whittier Christian. Its that bad...especially when servite is down the road. The possibility of this being a good player looking great cause of competition is decent. My point being fools gold. I hope he's great. i hope our staff is right. all im saying if there is one that i could look at and say wait a minute then it would be this one. along with Aaron at La Mirada. i think anyone in the country would fall in love with those numbers and give him a look so im not suprised about USC. thats fine. but look ive seen the top dogs in cali play. Lakewood, Poly, mater dei, coronoa centenniel, mission viejo, OLU, De La Salle, all of them. They've had some special players and those numbers are freakish and dont happen in their divisions. look at his tape, hes absolutely mad handling every single lineman, and making them look like rag dolls. Obviously hes a good player, but i think the whole california perception might have people all excited when they dont know about the situation. and the whole coaches being right on everything, cmon give me a break you're gonna tell me that they're right 100%? most of the time sure, but this one has the potential to be the one.

remember bronson marsh was a very good qb in the state of nebraska but now they dont even want him to play qb and he has good enough measurables.

Jared Crick came from Cozad, Nebraska. Far from the biggest class in the state, and just one among many small high school players to be successful at Nebraska.

Sometimes, great things come from small towns, and sometimes it's worth it to go off the beaten path to find a diamond in the rough. Is that the case here? Who knows, it's far too early to tell. However, I don't think you can simply dismiss his potential based upon the level of competition he plays or the high school he attends.

• Fire 1

It's cool. The Suh comparison was made with the disclaimer that he looked like a HS (High School) version of Suh in those films. It didn't mean that I'm expecting him to be like or that he'll ever be like Suh. It was the way he was playing on film that drew such a comparison. The use of his hands when disengaging blockers, the numerous plays of him running a player down after he got past the line of scrimmage, along with a couple of pass break-up plays here and there. It was very Suh-like.

His level of competition was irrelevant at first glance. That wasn't my intention when I made that comparison. I think you took the Suh comparison too literally, but it's all good. I was just curious why you were so adamant in downplaying the kids film in multiple posts. We've all said our piece and I'm okay with leaving it at that. ;)

its obvious that he has suh movements and techniques and i didnt take it too literal. i knew but i had to ease the kool aid cause it was a big question mark just based off what i know. hope this kid is the diamond in the rough for us

I have grown a little tired of the "trust the coaches" argument. It's like when the little boy calls the little girl ugly and she goes: "i know you are but what am i" - It's not really a valid argument one way or the other. This is a good discussion, but I haven't really heard anything valid supporting his offer. Vince certainly questions the level of competition. He's got good measurables, and I guess he beat 6 out of 7 guys in one on one at a camp. Not really that convincing one way or the other.

My main issue with this one is it's another DT recruit. That makes 11 DT offers now? We'll probably take 2-3. Kevin Williams has already committed, I'm assuming Kenny Mack will take another one of those spots. That leaves us with MAYBE 1-2 spots open, probably just the 1 since some of our DE players will be moving inside. Is there not a more "sure" bet among the list of Suh lovers?

It just seems like the risk/reward is high/low. If he was a 6'7" 345lb offensive linemen that runs a 4.9 40 but plays football on a dirt field in the prairie then I could see the reward being a little higher for the risk associated. But this is just another DL recruit with some good stats garnered amongst low competition. I'd rather stretch for something with a little more upside. This just seems like an Al Davis pick. All numbers, no production.

I completely agree with you but have a couple points to make....

It is harder to get elite talent at DT than any other position. Special DTs are very few and far between. I am not saying this kid is elite or special but I am explaining why we've offered some many DTs when we only play to take 2-3. As kids commit, we will "rescind" offers for lack of a better term. We no longer have a shot at Quincy Russell which probably explains this offer. At this point, no one knows what's going on with Kenny Mack and it wouldn't surprise me if we are no longer pursuing him.

I feel like we have a decent shot a getting:

Isiah Norton

Gerrand Johnson

Gabriel Wright (probably a long shot)

Mickey Johnson (probably a long shot)

Christian Heyword (probably a long shot)

That doesn't leave a ton of options at a position where we hope to take 2-3. In the end, this might not even mean a thing if we get the guys highest on our board but we have to offer kids like this when the numbers tell us to do so. Just for fun.....the coaches know what they are doing :lol:

I have grown a little tired of the "trust the coaches" argument. It's like when the little boy calls the little girl ugly and she goes: "i know you are but what am i" - It's not really a valid argument one way or the other. This is a good discussion, but I haven't really heard anything valid supporting his offer. Vince certainly questions the level of competition. He's got good measurables, and I guess he beat 6 out of 7 guys in one on one at a camp. Not really that convincing one way or the other.

My main issue with this one is it's another DT recruit. That makes 11 DT offers now? We'll probably take 2-3. Kevin Williams has already committed, I'm assuming Kenny Mack will take another one of those spots. That leaves us with MAYBE 1-2 spots open, probably just the 1 since some of our DE players will be moving inside. Is there not a more "sure" bet among the list of Suh lovers?

It just seems like the risk/reward is high/low. If he was a 6'7" 345lb offensive linemen that runs a 4.9 40 but plays football on a dirt field in the prairie then I could see the reward being a little higher for the risk associated. But this is just another DL recruit with some good stats garnered amongst low competition. I'd rather stretch for something with a little more upside. This just seems like an Al Davis pick. All numbers, no production.

The recruiting breakdown of random schools below according to Rivals. Now Rivals will only show up to 100 offers in a general search. But if you modify the search by position and then add up all the different position offers, there is a chance that it'll reflect more than 100 total offers. Tennessee is one of those examples in 2010 where they had more than 100 offers. Needless to say I wasn't really interested in getting an exact count for offers, so if you see 100, it means that there were AT LEAST 100 offers for that particular year. Afterwards I showed how many were DT offers.

Take into account that I have no idea what each team's depth chart at the DT position looks like, except for Nebraska.

Nebraska

100 - 2010 - 16 DT

100 - 2011 - 11 DT

Alabama

100 - 2010 - 10 DT

100 - 2011 - 13 DT

Florida

100 - 2010 - 11 DT

86 - 2011 - 4 DT

USC

74 - 2010 - 9 DT

77 - 2011 - 6 DT

Tennessee

100 - 2010 - 22 DT

100 - 2011 - 8 DT

Oklahoma

100 - 2010 - 15 DT

71 - 2011 - 9 DT

Arkansas

100 - 2010 - 27 DT

100 - 2011 - 10 DT

Clemson

100 - 2010 - 14 DT

85 - 2011 - 10 DT

Oklahoma St.

100 - 2010 - 10 DT

57 - 2011 - 10 DT

Stanford

100 - 2010 - 11 DT

100 - 2011 - 6 DT

UCLA

100 - 2010 - 22 DT

75 - 2011 - 4 DT

Even though I don't have Kansas listed above, Turner Gill has 26 OL offers for 2011.

BTW, here is what Callahan's offers list looked like:

100 - 2005 - 12 DT

100 - 2006 - 13 DT

100 - 2007 - 17 DT

100 - 2008 - 12 DT

Just trying to show that we're not the only school that offers a lot at one position. Also note that a lot of those schools also offer at least 100 kids a year like we do.

I don't really want to make this into and discussion regarding offer counts because we all know NU offers more than about 90% of teams out there...fyi below is 2010's.

But the fact that we have a lot of offers out is exactly my point. We don't need to stretch to find a DT. With the reputation our line has earned, that is the last position we should be looking for a diamond in the rough at. Sure, there are cases where they have worked out (so please don't respond with a huge list people :)) but there are a lot more where they haven't. We shouldn't have any problem getting a verbal from at least 1 of Gabriel Wright, Todd Peat, Mickey Johnson, Isiah Norton or Heyward, Johnson, etc. Before the year is over we'll probably add another Rivals250 DT recruit or two to that list as well. Crick will have nearly as much visibility as Suh by the time the season gets going - look to see some pretty impressive DT recruits knocking at our door. Why potentially stretch now when you don't have to?

2010 offers

Nebraska - 193

Kansas - 181

Colorado - 178

K-State - 148

Iowa St - 145

Texas Tech - 133

Oklahoma St - 132

Baylor - 131

Oklahoma - 119

Missouri - 116

Texas A&M - 96

Texas - 33

I don't really want to make this into and discussion regarding offer counts because we all know NU offers more than about 90% of teams out there...fyi below is 2010's.

But the fact that we have a lot of offers out is exactly my point. We don't need to stretch to find a DT. With the reputation our line has earned, that is the last position we should be looking for a diamond in the rough at. Sure, there are cases where they have worked out (so please don't respond with a huge list people :)) but there are a lot more where they haven't. We shouldn't have any problem getting a verbal from at least 1 of Gabriel Wright, Todd Peat, Mickey Johnson, Isiah Norton or Heyward, Johnson, etc. Before the year is over we'll probably add another Rivals250 DT recruit or two to that list as well. Crick will have nearly as much visibility as Suh by the time the season gets going - look to see some pretty impressive DT recruits knocking at our door. Why potentially stretch now when you don't have to?

2010 offers

Nebraska - 193

Kansas - 181

Colorado - 178

K-State - 148

Iowa St - 145

Texas Tech - 133

Oklahoma St - 132

Baylor - 131

Oklahoma - 119

Missouri - 116

Texas A&M - 96

Texas - 33

Fair enough. I'm just not concerned with the amount of offers we dole out a year. So long as the staff meets their scholarship numbers at the end of each recruiting cycle, then it's all good. In other words, the end result is what matters most to me.

I can't question the staff's recruiting system because I have no clue what their system entails? I'm obviously not privy to it. I can't even pretend to know how they go about it. I can guess with the best of you, but that's about it.

As far as how the staff evaluates talent? That's a whole other animal. Again, I'm not going to pretend to know what the staff looks for when it comes to the finer details of breaking down recruiting film. I'm not a scout and scouting talent is not my area of expertise.

To sum it up, I don't question the staff on these matters because I haven't the first clue how to fairly critique something that I have no experience with? And I'm okay with that. I'd much rather be a fan and just accept my role as such.