the sporting news breaks down the seasons qb battles

I just wish Zac Lee would keep his head up when he runs and try to make people miss.

Completing passes would be nice too.

Not picking on you, just everyone who thinks Lee should be our qb. Summarizing your post, you don't think Lee runs well or passes well, do I have that right? He is a quarterback. If he is unable to perform those two duties effectively, he should be relieved of them. I am tired of the sophomore, too early to start him, needs time to develop mumbo jumbo. Martinez was the California player of the year. Lee was lightly, if at all, recruited. Yeah yeah, he was more serious about baseball. He played football at St. Ignatious Prep in San Francisco. If he was blowing up there, he would have had offers from all over. You can't hide at a large Catholic school in a major metro area. Martinez is a winner. He has fall camp to get ready. We have a couple cupcakes to feed on early. Some people are comfortable in the spotlight, some aren't. The Chinese send 14 yr old gymnasts out in front of the world and they do fine. Last year, Lee proved he doesn't have it. Does anyone not remember last year? We were begging for someone with decent qb skills so we could get rid of Lee. I will support whoever the coaches send out to take snaps. I'm betting it won't be Zac Lee.

I just wish Zac Lee would keep his head up when he runs and try to make people miss.

Not picking on you, just everyone who thinks Lee should be our qb. Summarizing your post, you don't think Lee runs well or passes well, do I have that right? He is a quarterback. If he is unable to perform those two duties effectively, he should be relieved of them. I am tired of the sophomore, too early to start him, needs time to develop mumbo jumbo. Martinez was the California player of the year. Lee was lightly, if at all, recruited. Yeah yeah, he was more serious about baseball. He played football at St. Ignatious Prep in San Francisco. If he was blowing up there, he would have had offers from all over. You can't hide at a large Catholic school in a major metro area. Martinez is a winner. He has fall camp to get ready. We have a couple cupcakes to feed on early. Some people are comfortable in the spotlight, some aren't. The Chinese send 14 yr old gymnasts out in front of the world and they do fine. Last year, Lee proved he doesn't have it. Does anyone not remember last year? We were begging for someone with decent qb skills so we could get rid of Lee. I will support whoever the coaches send out to take snaps. I'm betting it won't be Zac Lee.

With all this Lee bashing you don't even acknowledge the fact that for 8 out of the 10 games he started he was hurt. I'm fine if you think one of the other two is a better option, but give Lee credit where it is due playing injured takes a lot of guts. The courage he displayed playing while hurt undoubtedly won the frespect of his peers.

Every account that I have read says that Lee is the best passer of the bunch. He is a decent runner when healthy, and I feel like he has the best leadership skills which is absolutly crutial at the quarterback position.

Here is hoping Lee will recover and show us that most of what was wrong last year was directly related to injury.

:wtf

In almost every game last year, Lee performed like someone who broke into the locker room, tied up the starting qb and ran onto the field in the starter's place. He looked bad because he was bad. He wasn't hurt THAT badly. Did you ever see him in pain? Was his arm ever hanging lifeless at his side? (Insert joke here) We are in serious trouble again if he starts!

What I want to know is, since I didn't get to see the spring game, what makes everyone think Martinez can't handle the job? The writer of the article seems to believe TMart was impressive this spring, yet most on this board don't see that ability considering what's been posted. For me to think TMart or even Cody or Kody won't be the starter, the surgeon would have to not only fixed Lee's tendon, but attached Joe Montana's arm to Zac's shoulder.

I'm sticking to my Zac won't be the starter this year stance. :cop:

what are you talking about? seriously? are you drunk? is this a joke?

You have a wild amount of faith in 'anyone other than Lee.' The writer of an article thinks Taylor shows promise...interesting logic.

You realize if we're going to have a run next year, we can't have mistakes from the point man. With a freshman or a sophomore quarterback, mistakes and growing pains are what we are going to get. Even if Taylor Martinez is Terrelle Pryor - which he isn't, nearly - there would still be those green rookie mistakes at this stage in his career. Like Green's pick six against Baylor. Those guys, if they get into the game, they're going to be as overgeeked up as Lee was last year.

Lee's getting the system down and cooling his nerves hopefully. We'll see a calmer and more composed QB in the pocket this year, is my prediction. With another year, Lee will only get better. The other guys? They still need to get decent.

Wrong. I have no faith in Lee! Lee never made a mistake?, come on! People who are mistake prone make mistakes, those that are not usually don't. You can't say a sophomore will make mistakes just because they are young. You also are only guessing that they will freak out in a game. Your statements about Lee being composed and more settled conspicuously have the words hopefully and prediction attached to them. As for my logic, I said I hadn't seen Martinez in the spring game so I couldn't comment. I just heard a lot of good things in the paper and from coaches. Also, no one called out the writer I was making note of to say he was wrong about Martinez impressing with both arm and feet. Lee has never impressed me with either.

With all this Lee bashing you don't even acknowledge the fact that for 8 out of the 10 games he started he was hurt. I'm fine if you think one of the other two is a better option, but give Lee credit where it is due playing injured takes a lot of guts. The courage he displayed playing while hurt undoubtedly won the frespect of his peers.

Every account that I have read says that Lee is the best passer of the bunch. He is a decent runner when healthy, and I feel like he has the best leadership skills which is absolutly crutial at the quarterback position.

Well, the guy sucked in 10 out of 10 games. That makes two where the injury was not a factor. Also, not one person on this board could see evidence of an injury during the season. Just because you need surgery doesn't mean you can't play without pain or effectively. Also, how did that tendon in his arm affect his legs? Every account? What does that mean? You want my account? As a guy who saw every ball he threw last season, I feel like I can weigh in. Lee stinks as a passer. Weren't you watching? What has Zac Lee ever led that offense to? We are in trouble if he is the best leader we have. It has been months since the last game. People have been projecting the wishful thinking that maybe the injury was what kept him from playing well onto what they saw last year and have created a memory that isn't accurate. Go back and read some Lee threads from last season, you'll probably find yourself bashing Lee in there.

Well, the guy sucked in 10 out of 10 games. That makes two where the injury was not a factor. Also, not one person on this board could see evidence of an injury during the season. Just because you need surgery doesn't mean you can't play without pain or effectively. Also, how did that tendon in his arm affect his legs? Every account? What does that mean? You want my account? As a guy who saw every ball he threw last season, I feel like I can weigh in. Lee stinks as a passer. Weren't you watching? What has Zac Lee ever led that offense to? We are in trouble if he is the best leader we have. It has been months since the last game. People have been projecting the wishful thinking that maybe the injury was what kept him from playing well onto what they saw last year and have created a memory that isn't accurate. Go back and read some Lee threads from last season, you'll probably find yourself bashing Lee in there.

I'm not here to say Lee is great but he is BY FAR THE BEST PASSER of the QBs on our roster. My issues with him last year mostly stemmed from him locking onto one receiver or holding the ball too long. When he had the time, he made very accurate throws, especially on deep balls.

I was apart of the Lee bashing as well but I also realize we can't afford to make big mistakes like turning the ball over and Lee is probably the best at managing the game.

I'm not here to say Lee is great but he is BY FAR THE BEST PASSER of the QBs on our roster. My issues with him last year mostly stemmed from him locking onto one receiver or holding the ball too long. When he had the time, he made very accurate throws, especially on deep balls.

I was apart of the Lee bashing as well but I also realize we can't afford to make big mistakes like turning the ball over and Lee is probably the best at managing the game.

and that is the point. we don't need a high risk/high reward qb with our defense. we need a guy who can sustain a drive and keep the defense off of the field. it is about ball control, and field position. we need an offense that can score 24 points, and then rely on the defense to do its job.

it is not like when cosgrove would tell callahan that if the offense scored over 70 points, he might be able to guarantee a win.

Captain K, haven't you figured out that this is a conspiracy against you? There is no other logical explanation.

Even a crappy one?

I think Zac Lee is far from "crappy" to be honest.

He did his part in an almost successful season last year. He made the play that got us in range for the "game winning" field goal against Texas on a zone read. He wasn't the one who kicked the ball out of bounds on kick off. He didn't horse-collar tackle Shipley for a 15 yarder after his single crucial catch in the game. He wasn't on the field when Texas kicked the game winning field goal with a fraction of a second left.

Let's face it, he played Big 12 Championship calibre football with an injured O-line and an injured elbow.

Now he's entering his 5th and final year of his college football career. He has irreplacable on-the-field experience -- something none of our other QBs have and something every top team wants. He's a seasoned veteran, and our senior guy.

The future looks bright for Zac Lee and Nebraska's offense. They're going to be so much better than last year it won't even be funny, especially if what we're hearing about the O-line becoming much more developed and physical is true.

I promise, someone other than Lee is the qb next season. At least we better hope so!

I will support whoever the coaches send out to take snaps. I'm betting it won't be Zac Lee.

When was the last time a returning starter QB didn't start his senior season? Not a very safe bet considering it almost never happens.

I think everyone on the board saw the effects lf the injury, we just didn't know he was hurt and mistakd it for lack of talent. On to your second point you're correct a tendon in your arm is highly unlikely to effect your legs. However if the injury is painful it will make you avoid contact. Which I believe we saw Zac run back to the line of scrimmage and duck his head as if he were afraid to get hit.

If you're injured, it changes how you play. Bottom line. Especially if we're talking about a QB with a freakin' elbow injury.

Also to all this talk about Lee ducking for cover every time he's going to get hit: he's a drop-back passer. He's smart to put his head down. You guys act like every Nebraska QB should be able to make the first guy miss every time like they're Tommie Frazier or something. Cool!

Captain K, haven't you figured out that this is a conspiracy against you? There is no other logical explanation.

I guess so. Like I've said before, I've only seen the other qb's in limited action. My point is Lee is not a Division 1 quarterback and it is hard to believe that there isn't a better athlete/qb in the group we have. I am not stating that we do have better, I just don't want to ride the same horse as last year. I can't believe I'm alone on this. All of the talk about Lee managing the game etc is malarkey. I love how he took control and inspired the team against ISU. There's a real winner for you. To assume that a younger guy will make mistakes is just that - an assumption. I'm sticking with Lee being replaced. If he starts we lose a game or two because of his lack of effectiveness.

I guess so. Like I've said before, I've only seen the other qb's in limited action. My point is Lee is not a Division 1 quarterback and it is hard to believe that there isn't a better athlete/qb in the group we have. I am not stating that we do have better, I just don't want to ride the same horse as last year. I can't believe I'm alone on this. All of the talk about Lee managing the game etc is malarkey. I love how he took control and inspired the team against ISU. There's a real winner for you. To assume that a younger guy will make mistakes is just that - an assumption. I'm sticking with Lee being replaced. If he starts we lose a game or two because of his lack of effectiveness.

I take offense to this comment. Why is your evaluation that he isn't even a division 1 QB? All the coaches and players think he is capable to lead the team to great things. What do you see in his playing they Watson, Bo, and TO are missing?

I don't think anyone disagrees that Lee needs to perform better this year. If he does not show improvement after he is healed, I guarantee he will be benched and replaced by Green or Martinez. By the way, I see Martinez as our starting QB in 2011.

Apparently I can't win this argument. I know I didn't lose it though! There's not much reason to think Lee will be any better. The O-line improving would be the biggest help. Barney is still coaching them though. Sorry, but I will continue to discount the injury thing. I promise to resurrect this thread come the first game next season. I'll either stand triumphant or eat crow. If Lee is the starter, I know what the offense will be eating next year. :madash

I think we'll see a lot of Martinez even if Lee is the starter, considering what Bo and Wats have let slip out thus far in media interviews. It's a possibility that we could see a multi-QB system.

Martinez is fresh, inexperienced, but he's also good at some things that Zac Lee isn't. We've all heard him compared to Eric Crouch. He's a role-player that you can bring in during certain situations. He's the secret weapon that can be unleashed.

He'll get his playing time.