Two Big-12 Series Remaining

Glad my 1-3 expectation was avoided. Of course Nebraska has still lost something like 45 of their last 60 conference games, which is totally unacceptable and gets just about any coach anywhere else fired. . .

It got doc fired, right?

Not yet, but he's not in his 8th year as a head coach, either, nor was he handed a top 10 quality team. If Doc fails again this year, I won't be broken up if he gets canned.

Nor did he make the Elite 8 in 2005, or win the programs 1st game ever there.

Larry Coker won a national title in 2001. Where is he now? Things sure went south once he could no longer ride the coattails of Butch Davis. We are almost 6 years removed from the College World Series, no more Van Horn recruits, no more pitchers taught by Rob Childress (no, not asking for Rob to come back as head coach, he's more valuable as an assistant IMO, just like Anderson). Nebraska will never reach the CWS again, and will be lucky to host a regional, but even if they did all we would have to look forward to are further losses to teams like San Francisco, Oral Roberts and Manhattan (combined score of those three regional losses: 17-2, not even competitive against the dregs of our own regional). 2006 and 2008 both lost their mental edge completely in the months of May and June. The combined efforts of 2007, '09 and '10 manages to come out to 2 games above .500. Thank god we scheduled Southeast Missouri State this year, although if we faced them in a regional at home, I shudder to think of what the outcome would be. Bottom line: Mike Anderson sucks as a head coach, without Rob Childress to hold his hand, he has dropped off the map entirely in 5 seasons. He has not proven that he has the ability to instill any mental toughness in his own recruits, nor has he ever shown he can build/rebuild a program. The problems that plagued his teams at the end of '06 and '08 have begun to show up in February and stick around the entire season the last two years, not surprising considering they did not have players like Johnny Dorn who experienced superior coaching under Rob Childress. I am reminded of what Lyons said over in another thread. His own players on this year's team call Anderson a "complete jackass." Anderson proved them right when he kept Farst on the bench for his last game at Haymarket park until the final half-inning. A guy who worked his ass off, team (and possibly conference?) leader in batting average a year ago and had been playing well through the last 10 or so games of this season. Gets benched in his last game in Lincoln. Whatever MA's motives were, it was a classless move, but not the first one he's made (talk to Jake Mort when his family came for "Jake Mort Day" to see their guy. . .ride the pine the whole game.)

Ah well, baseball season's over so I'm going to go drink a lot and watch tapes of old football games for 3 months :wasted Take 'er easy.