The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

Had to send my new Switch in for repair immediately, so ya know, that sucks. Turns out my left Joy-Con was defective out of the box; the thumbstick didn't click. Found out when I couldn't run in Fortnite. They said they needed the console sent in as well to verify it's not a connection issue, which is unfortunate because it's almost assuredly not. I bought various wired Pro controllers to use instead, too... :( (Got one official Pro and this Crash one and this Zelda BOTW one from Gamestop, which look pretty sick IMO).

Been pretty into Steam since I picked up some games during the Summer sale. Visited my old college buddy the other day and we did some gaming - he turned me onto Dead by Daylight, which is a blast. Pick it up if you can afford to next time it's on sale. Let me know if you want to play - it's very teamwork-based.

Also played through Spec Ops: The Line, which had been on my list forever. Pretty short third-person shooter, but an excellent storyline and great looking game nonetheless. 

GF and I have been doing some gaming lately as well. She really likes to watch DBD but gets a bit too anxious to play. I'm still going to make her at some point. As far as good local co-op games, we've been playing Castle Crashers, Battleblock Theater, Hidden in Plain Sight and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime on Steam. She made me get her Don't Starve as well.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:32 PM, Moiraine said:

Getting back into World of Warcraft for the new expansion. I've done this for the past 4 expansions (Cataclysm, Pandas, Warlords, Legion): Get it, play it obsessively for a month, get bored, quit. Wait for next expansion. Repeat. I don't learn my lesson because the nastalgia's too strong and I still have a couple friends who play it.

I do the same thing! I dont ever really quit playing. I just consider my time away a hiatus! 

I got back on in legion since I took a break after panda land. Im pumped for the new expansion!

LOL. This thread is 8 years old. Several posters that I don't really see posting, anymore. 

I'm still playing Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1. We have an xbox1. I've been playing Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain a decent amount, since it was free on last months xbox gold dealio. 

I read an article last week about a group of gamers that is keeping the NCAA 14 College Football game current by going through each college teams' roster and making the player profiles for each new player. I still have that game, fruitlessly hoping for a backwards compatibilty that will never happer because Sam Keller.

55 minutes ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

LOL. This thread is 8 years old. Several posters that I don't really see posting, anymore. 

I'm still playing Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1. We have an xbox1. I've been playing Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain a decent amount, since it was free on last months xbox gold dealio. 

I read an article last week about a group of gamers that is keeping the NCAA 14 College Football game current by going through each college teams' roster and making the player profiles for each new player. I still have that game, fruitlessly hoping for a backwards compatibilty that will never happer because Sam Keller.

I've helped that group out from time to time keeping Nebraska updated. Their rosters are great, but for some reason they think Tristan Gebbia is faster than Adrian Martinez this year. 

On 7/7/2018 at 9:32 PM, Moiraine said:

Getting back into World of Warcraft for the new expansion. I've done this for the past 4 expansions (Cataclysm, Pandas, Warlords, Legion): Get it, play it obsessively for a month, get bored, quit. Wait for next expansion. Repeat. I don't learn my lesson because the nastalgia's too strong and I still have a couple friends who play it.

I did the same thing with WotLK, Cata and MoP. Never got to Warlords or Legion but my dad is still obsessively playing WoW and has almost exclusively done so for the last ~12 years (I aspire to be a 60-year-old gamer too :lol:). Pretty incredible on his behalf.

Part of the reason I don't go back now is because of time but I also don't know anyone who plays it anymore, which is a real bummer because I have so many great nostalgic memories. A couple of us thought about going back when they announced the vanilla servers but ultimately decided it wouldn't be the same as it was when we were all younger.

17 hours ago, Lonestar_Husker said:

I've thought about rolling back around to BF1 (PC). I haven't played since the French DLC so I've missed a lot.

Last month, on a whim, I got back into BF4 and I've been playing that whenever I get a chance. I forgot how much fun and how good that game is and there's still a pretty large player base on PC; at least, large enough that there are multiple options and active servers still.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I did the same thing with WotLK, Cata and MoP. Never got to Warlords or Legion but my dad is still obsessively playing WoW and has almost exclusively done so for the last ~12 years (I aspire to be a 60-year-old gamer too :lol:). Pretty incredible on his behalf.

Part of the reason I don't go back now is because of time but I also don't know anyone who plays it anymore, which is a real bummer because I have so many great nostalgic memories. A couple of us thought about going back when they announced the vanilla servers but ultimately decided it wouldn't be the same as it was when we were all younger.

Luckily I know 2 people from when I started (2007) who still played and they are in a raiding guild that has a weekly casual run, so I'm gonna decide this fall if I have time for it.

I really think the dungeon queues did a lot of damage to the social aspect of the game. I used to have to find people on my server to do a dungeon with and then if we got along and they were good players I kept playing with them. I levelled with a group of 5-6 players all the way to 70. I made some friends that I still talk to on Facebook. With the dungeon queues you go in, rarely talk to anyone, and never see them again. They're convenient but they take away an important part of the game.

21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I really think the dungeon queues did a lot of damage to the social aspect of the game.

I agree 100%. If I had a dollar for every time I typed the phrase 'LFM (insert dungeon/raid here) need (tank/healer)'...

I think Blizzard has made a lot of changes over the years one could label as time-saving and arguably 'improvements,' but they took away a ton of character and some of elements that made the game so memorable. I started playing in the summer of 2005 (shortly after it came out) and spent multiple summers, sleepovers and even an occasional 'sick day' from school playing WoW. I spent hours farming ghost mushrooms and avoiding being ganked in the Hinterlands to try to make a little gold, played Alterac Valley matches that lasted for hours, ran everywhere by foot for months because it used to take so long to level up to 40 when you could get your first mount...

Now, entire quest lines, territories, experiences and personality are lost for the sake of timeliness and end game. I get it but it still makes it super disheartening. I remember when I last played MoP I leveled up a Shaman from 1-90 and skipped entire zones that I remember spending days trying to clear back in the early 2000's to try and level up. But, now, those areas are largely forgotten because people zoom up the leveling ladder so quickly.

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

I've thought about rolling back around to BF1 (PC). I haven't played since the French DLC so I've missed a lot.

Last month, on a whim, I got back into BF4 and I've been playing that whenever I get a chance. I forgot how much fun and how good that game is and there's still a pretty large player base on PC; at least, large enough that there are multiple options and active servers still.

Yeah, BF4 is still really active on the xbox, too. There is a latency issue with that game for me. I thought it would have been solved with the addition of South American servers. It's better than it was, but BF1 performs better for me. The only map anyone plays anymore is Siege of Shanghai, so I get bored fast, but I really enjoy flying helicopters.

The newer BF1 maps are really good. I don't care for the dlc weapons, though. 

On 7/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, Lonestar_Husker said:

Yeah, BF4 is still really active on the xbox, too. There is a latency issue with that game for me. I thought it would have been solved with the addition of South American servers. It's better than it was, but BF1 performs better for me. The only map anyone plays anymore is Siege of Shanghai, so I get bored fast, but I really enjoy flying helicopters.

The newer BF1 maps are really good. I don't care for the dlc weapons, though. 

Out of curiosity, what part of the country/world do you live in and are you using a hardline connection to your xbox or going off of WiFi? Being in the Midwest (specifically, Omaha) it seems that many of the servers offer a strong ping for me. I'm guessing things are a little bit different on the XBOX though since I know many console games don't have server browsers and don't show you pings. Often times, you're at the mercy of the matchmaking system.

You're spot on about Siege of Shaghai though. It's incessant. That, Lancang Dam and Golmud Railway are constantly popping up. I like all those maps just fine but seems like a lot of the servers are constantly placing those on repeat whereas other maps I really like (Pearl Market, Silk Road, Paracel Storm) don't show up as often.

52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Out of curiosity, what part of the country/world do you live in and are you using a hardline connection to your xbox or going off of WiFi? Being in the Midwest (specifically, Omaha) it seems that many of the servers offer a strong ping for me. I'm guessing things are a little bit different on the XBOX though since I know many console games don't have server browsers and don't show you pings. Often times, you're at the mercy of the matchmaking system.

You're spot on about Siege of Shaghai though. It's incessant. That, Lancang Dam and Golmud Railway are constantly popping up. I like all those maps just fine but seems like a lot of the servers are constantly placing those on repeat whereas other maps I really like (Pearl Market, Silk Road, Paracel Storm) don't show up as often.

I live in Keller, Texas. It's just northeast of Fort Worth. I grew up in Omaha.

There is a server browse option. You can customize game mode, number of open slots in a server, maps desired and region. A ping gauge is shown in the form of bars like on your cell phone. This is one area where BF1 is better than BF4. I rented a server for my platoon in BF4 and we could customize a lot of match parameters, but a region lock was not available. BF1 servers feature a ping ceiling, where a server can be set to block or kick players at a set ping level of the renter's choice. If your ping is too high, you can't join the server. It seems to make a big difference. Rubberbanding is non-existent and I rarely get take damage behind cover in BF1. 

• 2 weeks later...