The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

I'm playing through AC: Odyssey right now. I think it's an improved game from Origins and I'm really enjoying the gameplay/story.

One significant thing I don't like - it feels like they're subtly trying to incentivize micro-transactions. The game's current state requires a lot of resources and drachmae (i.e. gold) in order to upgrade your character's gear and ship. You can get this by doing missions and clearing question mark locations around the map but you can spend hours clearing these question marks only to gain enough resources for a couple upgrades.

Surprise, surprise: you can buy "Time-Savers" in the Helix Store to avoid the time commitment associated with gathering resources.

Fortunately, they've announced that they're going to be lowering the amount of resources necessary for upgrades within the next month or so.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I did a full replay of the series last year but I had never done the Citadel DLC or Leviathan, so those were incredible treats.

Leviathan was very fun, but the Citadel is right up there with Lair of the Shadow Broker in terms of one of my favorite pieces of DLC for any game. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:06 PM, Enhance said:

I'm playing through AC: Odyssey right now. I think it's an improved game from Origins and I'm really enjoying the gameplay/story.

One significant thing I don't like - it feels like they're subtly trying to incentivize micro-transactions. The game's current state requires a lot of resources and drachmae (i.e. gold) in order to upgrade your character's gear and ship. You can get this by doing missions and clearing question mark locations around the map but you can spend hours clearing these question marks only to gain enough resources for a couple upgrades.

Surprise, surprise: you can buy "Time-Savers" in the Helix Store to avoid the time commitment associated with gathering resources.

Fortunately, they've announced that they're going to be lowering the amount of resources necessary for upgrades within the next month or so.

So, I've beaten the main game and done all of the secondary quests/challenges. Now, I'm in this weird phase of not really having anything to do except weekly/daily quests because they bumped the max level up from 50 to 70. The quests contain just simple, rinse and repeat objectives, and it takes a lot of XP to move up to the new levels past 50. I'm sort of teetering out on my interest which is disappointing because they have a lot of DLC planned for the next couple months.

They also haven't implemented any sort of a new game plus feature yet which I was hoping would happen sooner than later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I discovered the dystopian bliss that is 'Frostpunk'. It's on Steam for a sawbuck...and it's a steampunk survival SimCity type of game. Mine/manage resources, keep what may be the last human civilization from freezing to death, as well as rioting, getting sick, etc., send scouting missions out to see what's going on in the world. 

It's fun...but my gawd is it bleak AF.

10 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I discovered the dystopian bliss that is 'Frostpunk'. It's on Steam for a sawbuck...and it's a steampunk survival SimCity type of game. Mine/manage resources, keep what may be the last human civilization from freezing to death, as well as rioting, getting sick, etc., send scouting missions out to see what's going on in the world. 

It's fun...but my gawd is it bleak AF.

No joke, that sounds awesome; sounds like something Bethesda could do with a Simcity-type Fallout (if they recover from how badly '76 is being received).

On 1/5/2019 at 10:52 AM, Cdog923 said:

No joke, that sounds awesome; sounds like something Bethesda could do with a Simcity-type Fallout (if they recover from how badly '76 is being received).

It's an indie dev, so when it goes on sale on Steam next time, throw them your money. 

And I think this setting would be good for a HBO-type of series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. I never played it before but I'm on an RPG/fantasy kick in life right now (just rewatched all the LoTR movies, reading the Wheel of Time series).

I'm having a lot of fun with it. Definitely a more laissez faire RPG from the developers - there are virtually no quest markers, the quest 'log' doesn't really tell you what to do or where to go next for a quest (it just keeps track of what you did or what you learned) and there isn't much guidance for where you should or shouldn't go. Basically, if you stumble into an area too high level, keep exploring and come back later. The combat is also pretty fun and engaging even though it's turn based.

My only two knocks are it appears several changes have been made to the game in the last 3-4 years that haven't been accounted for (i.e. certain crafting recipes no longer produce what online guides say they will) and gear you could actually use or want never seems to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

Anybody ever heard of GDQ?

It's pretty much the height of video game nerddom but it's also amazing.

Yup, it's where some of the past indie gems have come from. 

---

BTW, I highly suggest taking a spin through the Anthem demo this weekend if you're a fan of co-op PvE games. 

It's an amalgam of Destiny, Warframe, Monster Hunter World, Mass Effect, and the Division, but without any PvP aspects. 

• You can explore on your own to hunt monsters (some of which are quite large and require a full squad of four people to help) for resources
  • You can do missions to further the story together
  • Your experience and buffs stay with the pilot--you instead wear one of four suits (Javelins), that correspond to Tank, Finesse/Sharpshooter, Spellcaster, or general/non-class specific tropes. 
  • Special abilities can stack (there are specials called primers and detonators, IIRC) so if you coordinate with your squad, you can deal bonus damage during boss/strong enemy encounters. 
  • Damage is shown in numbers, loot follows conventional grey/green/blue/purple/gold color systems from other games. 
  • No paid DLC. Only specialized cosmetics for your Javelin will be available for purchase. 
  • No PvP on the year one roadmap. 

Granted, the game isn't perfect, and they're still fine-tuning things...but it was fun and the story seemed somewhat interesting (though the passive narrative choice leaves something to be desired).