The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Been playing 7 Days to Die a lot. Pretty fun.

Also started playing on a Wrath era (illegal) WoW server.

Thoughts?

Ever since they announced those vanilla servers (did they end up officially bringing those back?), I thought about getting back into it, but really the 'peak' WoW era for me was WotLK and BC. I'm also just generally concerned it's a misguided attempt on my part to try to recapture my interest in the game.

30 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Thoughts?

Ever since they announced those vanilla servers (did they end up officially bringing those back?), I thought about getting back into it, but really the 'peak' WoW era for me was WotLK and BC. I'm also just generally concerned it's a misguided attempt on my part to try to recapture my interest in the game.

It’s been fun so far but I’ve been doing it with a group of 3 people I know. I’m definitely going to try vanilla. I started playing when BC was already out, before the Sunwell Plateau patch. BC is my fav, then Wrath. I still liked it with Cat but I quit in the middle of it. I still have played each expansion for 2-4 weeks. Not sure why. It’s probably been etertaining enough for 1 month of $15 though. I imagine vanilla will be too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Investing in upgrading your rig ain't cheap, y'all.

I'm about to graduate and I've been dragging my feet on upgrading hardware forever, so I decided I'd do it as a reward to myself. New CPU/GPU/mobo with a RAM upgrade to boot. The nice thing is it came with some freebies and rebates to take a bite out of the cost.

The new lineup:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 (replacing the AMD FX-8350 that this rig came with)

GPU: MSI Armor MK2 RX 580 (replacing my GTX 660 that also came with the rig)

Mobo: ASRock AB350 (came free with the Ryzen and needed to upgrade to handle the DDR4 RAM)

RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB DDR4 3000 (replacing the 8GB DDR3 I have on my current board which according to Windows speed test was actually clocking in at ~600 MHz - yikes)

All told it cost me a pretty penny but I didn't realize how outdated a lot of this stuff had become by now.

Got the GPU in, RAM is here. Mobo and CPU should be here by the end of the week. Super excited to get everything installed and see how zippy things are afterwards.

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:36 AM, Enhance said:

Thoughts?

I'm gonna play it. Pretty excited actually. They're opening the servers up in August. The beta just started 2 weeks ago.

• 4 weeks later...

11 hours ago, Elaida said:

Replaying Fire Emblem Binding Blade and Path of Radiance in anticipation of Three Houses in a month.  FFXIV: Shadowbringers drops next Friday.  

Jealous. All I have is Blazing Sword (and the mobile game). It's insane how expensive Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are on the secondhand market. 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:25 PM, Cdog923 said:

Jealous. All I have is Blazing Sword (and the mobile game). It's insane how expensive Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are on the secondhand market. 

They are my original copies from when they first came out.  And yeah it's pretty spendy, hope they never get damaged or break. 

• Fire 1

I've been playing Cadence of Hyrule for about a week now. It's based on a game called Crypt of the Necrodancer; a dungeon rouge crawler where the idea is that you have to move and attack to the beat of the music on a randomly generated map. The developers of the original CotN game went to Nintendo and asked to use Link and Zelda as DLC characters in the original game, and Nintendo was so impressed that they commissioned a whole new game, and gave the developers of CotN the full use of the franchise. It doesn't play anything like a traditional Zelda game, but I have had an immense amount of fun with it so far. My biggest complaint is that it's short: I finished the main game in about 8 hours. There is replayability in a few modes (I've been gritting my teeth through Permadeath), but I am hoping for an expansion or two to expand the runtime. 

27 minutes ago, Elaida said:

They are my original copies from when they first came out.  And yeah it's pretty spendy, hope they never get damaged or break. 

Really jealous now. I wish Nintendo had put them out on the Virtual Console, or even port them onto the Switch. 

• Fire 1

Shameless plug for Games Done Quick. It's a biannual speedrunning convention where people come together to play all manner of different games from mainstream to incredibly obscure and see how fast they can finish them. They have different categories depending on what exactly you have to do to complete a run and whether you can use glitches to save time.

The whole thing is done to showcase runners ability but more importantly they have a running counter for continual donations that go to charity. This time proceeds are going to Doctors without Borders. Donations can be used to add extra games to the schedule, add more difficult tasks or choose specific characters or names in games.

Right now I'm watching a run of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 where the donations chose Shrek as the skater.

Hope that's not too confusing. Basically it's nerdy but a ton of fun. If you're interested you can watch on their website or on their Twitch channel. The whole thing is a week long, 24 hours a day, running through next Saturday.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Shameless plug for Games Done Quick. It's a biannual speedrunning convention where people come together to play all manner of different games from mainstream to incredibly obscure and see how fast they can finish them. They have different categories depending on what exactly you have to do to complete a run and whether you can use glitches to save time.

The whole thing is done to showcase runners ability but more importantly they have a running counter for continual donations that go to charity. This time proceeds are going to Doctors without Borders. Donations can be used to add extra games to the schedule, add more difficult tasks or choose specific characters or names in games.

Right now I'm watching a run of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 where the donations chose Shrek as the skater.

Hope that's not too confusing. Basically it's nerdy but a ton of fun. If you're interested you can watch on their website or on their Twitch channel. The whole thing is a week long, 24 hours a day, running through next Saturday.

I love GDQ; one of my favorite speedruns of all time is when a guy got to Mike Tyson in Punch Out! while blindfolded: 

• Plus1 1
On 6/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, Cdog923 said:

I love GDQ; one of my favorite speedruns of all time is when a guy got to Mike Tyson in Punch Out! while blindfolded:  

Boy have I got some good news for you... Watched this one myself earlier today. Oddly the website lets Twitch videos embed but the video wouldn't play. Link should work.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/443965863?t=7h46m18s

• Fire 1