The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

15 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I was a sucker and bought Animal Crossing. And I don't get its popularity (at least not yet). My theory is for a lot of people it's the first game of its kind they're playing. Whereas I play lots of different games and this is similar to several I've played. You gather stuff and learn recipes and build stuff then you gather new stuff and learn new recipes to build cooler stuff.

What I don't really get though, is why it is more popular than Stardew Valley. Stardew Valley is better, imo. It has more humor in it, and you can kill some things.

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Stardew is exactly why I've held off on getting Animal Crossing. I just started Summer of year 8 on my farm. 

Funny because my girlfriend consistently hogs the Switch to play Stardew but she also badly wants Animal Crossing at the moment. I'll have to relay your thoughts.

2 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Funny because my girlfriend consistently hogs the Switch to play Stardew but she also badly wants Animal Crossing at the moment. I'll have to relay your thoughts.

I found this to be a good description although I have a friend who loves Animal Crossing and couldn't get into Stardew Valley - although, I think she doesn't like to be challenged in a game. She won't play any fighting games. With Animal Crossing there isn't really any challenge. With Stardew Valley there is some, and you have to use your brain occasionally, and if you want to make a s#!t ton of money you have to figure out the best way to go about it. Animal Crossing is more wandering around catching things and I think eventually planting lots of fruit trees. But as far as I know so far, I think fruit trees are the only real farming you can do. And there aren't levels of fruit trees as far as I'm aware.

"Active Member. There's really nothing to achieve in Animal Crossing, so you'd get bored easily, but the game isn't meant for you to be impatient. It's not a boring game because the purpose of it is to simulate a fantasy life where you can live out your days by catching fish, bugs, and interacting with animal citizens."

I find I'm already bored of Animal Crossing and I'm on day 3. Admittedly I got bored of Stardew Valley somewhat quickly as well but it took a lot longer, maybe 2 months? And for me 2 months is a fairly long time to keep playing the same game. I dunno what it is but I have less attention span as I get older. I think as a kid I didn't think about the formula of games as much. Now I know it's just a skin and I'll get to the end game and I think too much about the "point"  instead of just enjoying it.

But with Animal Crossing I'm pretty sure I figured out what the end game is gonna be already and it doesn't really appeal to me. Still giving it a few more days to change my mind though. I do find this real time aspect of it interesting though since I've never seen it before. I did get excited when I woke up this morning to see what the island would look like when I logged in. Then it took me about 20 minutes to do everything I really needed to do for the day unless I just want to make some more $.

^ I can't believe how long this post is - but I'm currently putting off getting some work done.

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...

@SilentTreatmentI'm huge into Warzone (have been since early May). I could probably talk your ear off LOL.

• Rebirth is fun for a few rounds, but it kind of just feels like a big TDM to me, so I kind of lost interest after the first couple of days. Its current structure feels a bit too gimmicky for my lasting attention.
  • I still have an absolute blast playing WZ with a few buddies of mine, but I do think it's at a pretty low point right now after the Cold Water integration. Some pretty disappointing glitches/exploits, rampant hacker problems (still), the broken MAC-10, silent nerfs. The hacking is about as bad as I've ever experienced. If it wasn't for playing with my friends then I probably wouldn't bother with the game anymore, if I'm honest. I used to be able to do solos and random squads and have fun but I just can't do it anymore.
  • I used to not mind the SBMM, but now I downright despite it. It's remarkably inconsistent and nobody understands how it works because Activision has released virtually no details other than an effective 'lol trust us.' And ever since it was discovered that the game actively manipulates a player's accuracy based on skill-level as part of the SBMM, I've grown to dislike it even more. Competitive FPS games should not force an entire player base to operate under a set of constantly changing, uncontrollable balancing tools. If people want to sweat it out against good players then there should be a ranked mode. Otherwise, I think it devalues the game's integrity.
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

A little bit of Fortnite, a little bit of Rocket League, a little bit of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and a little bit of Smash Bros. Ultimate. 

I did buy the OG Final Fantasy 7 for the first time this week, so I'm excited to dive into it and see what all the fuss is about. Also, Hades is on sale, so I'm thinking about picking that up, too. 

On 12/21/2020 at 2:12 PM, Enhance said:

@SilentTreatmentI'm huge into Warzone (have been since early May). I could probably talk your ear off LOL.

• Rebirth is fun for a few rounds, but it kind of just feels like a big TDM to me, so I kind of lost interest after the first couple of days. Its current structure feels a bit too gimmicky for my lasting attention.
  • I still have an absolute blast playing WZ with a few buddies of mine, but I do think it's at a pretty low point right now after the Cold Water integration. Some pretty disappointing glitches/exploits, rampant hacker problems (still), the broken MAC-10, silent nerfs. The hacking is about as bad as I've ever experienced. If it wasn't for playing with my friends then I probably wouldn't bother with the game anymore, if I'm honest. I used to be able to do solos and random squads and have fun but I just can't do it anymore.
  • I used to not mind the SBMM, but now I downright despite it. It's remarkably inconsistent and nobody understands how it works because Activision has released virtually no details other than an effective 'lol trust us.' And ever since it was discovered that the game actively manipulates a player's accuracy based on skill-level as part of the SBMM, I've grown to dislike it even more. Competitive FPS games should not force an entire player base to operate under a set of constantly changing, uncontrollable balancing tools. If people want to sweat it out against good players then there should be a ranked mode. Otherwise, I think it devalues the game's integrity.

It did get old on rebirth I've changed my tune since I last logged in here. I too have noticed the hackers and aim bots alot. Treyarch is my favorite COD studio by far, and im hoping things can get better. I guess they can only go as far as Activision lets them.

Have been playing COD (Modern Warfare) steadily since it came out.  I never play Warzone though as I can't stand all the running around just to get to some action so I stick to the smaller maps/6 on 6 modes.  I went ahead and bought Cold War and to me it's terrible so will likely be selling it whenever I get around to it.  Very disappointing.

Anyone get a hold of a PS5 yet???  Unreal that they are still so hard to come by.