The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

Probably going to pick up "the last of us" tonight for PS3!

I've been seeing a lot of people tweeting and facebook statuses about this game.

One guy that I follow on twitter even said there is one part of the game where he had man tears going......I might have to Redbox this game

just bought my copy today. Haven't started it yet, but the guy at gamestop said it was one of the most incredible games to date. I think i'll like it because i was a fan of the uncharted series. The biggest things i look for in a game, are graphics, as in how realistic the surroundings and people look. The attention to detail in the environment and surroundings is what developers have been making a push toward. I mean hell you can hear the sound of a can rollings around the road, or the wind blowing leaves, it's getting awesome! The other thing i look for is a real juicy campaign. I love a story and i love watching interactions just as much as i do playing the game. I like about a 75/25 ratio of playing to watching a scene. If you watched some of the trailer for this game, you can literally see the fear and horror in the girl's face multiple times. Characters in games are getting emotions like never before. I'm really excited for the future of games. Next up is a ps4 and watch dogs will be first on my list. I watched a few trailers and my lord the detail is ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Starcraft 2...

havent had time to play much for the last month or so but started again...I'm getting better. I'm doing some good things, it's all about the process. There are some builds I wish I could have back but for the most part I'm doing some good things. You just gotta execute.

Played WoW for years, but got burned out. I refuse to go back to it. Thought about trying SC2, but not really an RTS fan. (Though I haven't given it a fair chance) I played SWTOR for a while and enjoyed it. I think I might give it another shot.

Whats nice is that other than WoW and EVE (which is a whole different animal than any other MMO ever released), every other MMO is pretty much some version of Free to Play. Tera and Neverwinter are both pretty good. More of an action combat game, no 'tab targeting' in either of them, all targeting is done by reticule. And Tera can even be set up to play with a gamepad, if you have the patience to map out eveything yourself.

^^Grats!

Played WoW for years, but got burned out. I refuse to go back to it. Thought about trying SC2, but not really an RTS fan. (Though I haven't given it a fair chance) I played SWTOR for a while and enjoyed it. I think I might give it another shot.

Whats nice is that other than WoW and EVE (which is a whole different animal than any other MMO ever released), every other MMO is pretty much some version of Free to Play. Tera and Neverwinter are both pretty good. More of an action combat game, no 'tab targeting' in either of them, all targeting is done by reticule. And Tera can even be set up to play with a gamepad, if you have the patience to map out eveything yourself.

FTP is why I was thinking of giving SWTOR a shot, but they limit you a lot with what you can do. I remember a bunch of folks leaving SWTOR to play Tera. It looked interesting, but not for me. I was just reading on Reddit how some guy in EVE had a 9k$ ship or something that got destroyed. (I don't know anything about EVE, but that seems crazy.)

Right now I''m keeping tabs on the Steam summer sale after hearing a ton about it. Just got Left 4 Dead 2 for 5 bucks lol. The deals are pretty crazy. Example: Bioshock Infinite for $30, Borderlands 2 for $10, etc. Just looking for something to kill time until the new consoles come out.

http://store.steampowered.com/

^^Grats!

FTP is why I was thinking of giving SWTOR a shot, but they limit you a lot with what you can do. I remember a bunch of folks leaving SWTOR to play Tera. It looked interesting, but not for me. I was just reading on Reddit how some guy in EVE had a 9k$ ship or something that got destroyed. (I don't know anything about EVE, but that seems crazy.)

Right now I''m keeping tabs on the Steam summer sale after hearing a ton about it. Just got Left 4 Dead 2 for 5 bucks lol. The deals are pretty crazy. Example: Bioshock Infinite for $30, Borderlands 2 for $10, etc. Just looking for something to kill time until the new consoles come out.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Money values in EVE that get thrown around are pretty much theoretical. There is a way to spend real money and convert it into ISK(the in game money) but I would be 99% sure that what you read about was made from ingame money. EVE is a space 'sandbox' game. I like it, but its certainly not for everyone.

You might also look at Rift, it just went F2P and looks like you get all the content without spending money.

The Steam sales can be crazy. I love them, and spend entirely too much money on them. They keep me with a backlog of games to play.

Rift is ok, but unless they did a lot with the content since I played it last year, it's really just a "blah" game. It's neat that your classes can combo as tank/dps, tank/heals, etc, but there just wasn't enough at the end of the day to keep me interested.

The FTP SWTOR is equally uninteresting. I loved it when it first came out, and played it until they went FTP, then I stopped, because it just became crap, even if you were paying for it...

I got GW2 four months ago, and I'm still entertained.

As to current MMO options,

I dropped out of SWTOR before it went F2P, and doubt I ever touch it again.

Never played Rift, but have looked at it. I might give it a run sooner or later.

GW2 I have played a bunch, and plan on going back to at some point. Its Buy-to-Play instead of F2P, buy once, buy no sub fees.

Tera is pretty cool, I played it awhile, but it gets pretty group focused as you level, and I didn't have a standing group to play with. I would play again.

Neverwinter has great combat, but sub-par graphics. It looks like its about 10 years old, even though its brand new. It is fun, though. And the Foundry that gives players the ability to build their own content.

The Secret World is another Buy to Play, that I picked up on a Steam sale, buy really havnt gotten around to doing much with yet. It looks really neat though.

EVE. A totally different animal than anything else out there. You fly spaceships around and do whatever the hell you want. Be a miner, a trader, an industrialist, a combat pilot and fly everything from small ships to massive capital ships, or even pirates, and prey on other players. Very little is forbidden, pretty much the only real violations are 'hacks' to the game. Lie, cheat and steal from other players is allowed, and even encouraged. There is no level system. You gain skills 'Matrix Style' by injecting them into your brain, and they train in real time. Anywhere from a few minuets to a couple of weeks. It has a subscription fee, but expansions are all free.

Just finished playing Tomb Raider. I thought it was a really fun twist on the series, really breaking the mold from what all the other games were like.

My only real complaint is the theatricality of it all. There are far too many immense structure collapses and death-defying falls for my liking. I'm not looking for realism in a game, but when she is constantly surviving exploding bridges, collapsing towers or falling walkways, it becomes the same old song and dance. I would have enjoyed more puzzles or a few more explorable tombs as opposed to Lara surviving another building falling apart.

Just finished The Last Of Us. WOW. WHAT A GAME!!!! Naughty Dog in my opinion is the best game producer out there. The amount of detail that's put into this game is unbelievable. It is so cool what video games are capable of, and i honestly believe The Last Of Us is one of those games that is the best on the market right now. I've played and beaten a lot of games, but this was just gripping. I had the biggest smile on my face when i finished it. Cannot praise it enough. I just saw the other day that it cost more money to make GTA5 then it did two blockbuster movies. I can't remember which two, but that's just crazy! I'm not sure the cost to produce this game, but the market for games is going to be unreal if these producers continue this kind of work. Especially with the new consols and it already looks like watch dogs is going to be wicked awesome. Anyways anyone with a PS3 should get this game ASAP. You won't be disappointed.

• Fire 1

I've been thinking about getting The Last of Us too, might wait for awhile though. Trying to budget and I just bought a bunch of used games. (Game Room downtown Lincoln is pretty fantastic.) Pikmin, Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi, Hot Shots Golf Fore. Thats a lot of nostalgia combined with backlog of stuff that I've wanted to play for me. Gamecube was awesome. Been playing those all weekend.

Tonight: Starcraft. Try to get out of Silver League now. My macro pretty much sucks (compared to what it should be) and my micro is horrific. But I'm miles ahead of where I used to be at least.