SIGNED S Daimion Stafford

What I find very puzzling is that the staff seems to be cooling on him on the basis that he won't be here in the Spring?

Really? We are letting a guy like this get away from us because he could miss spring practices? I feel there's gotta be more to that and would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

two things: first, missing spring practice makes it difficult for him to contribute significantly in his first year and this staff expects their juco transfers to be early impact players. second, the kid should have finished up at semester if he'd taken care of business. the fact that he didn't hold up his end of the bargain is not a good sign to the staff that he's the type of player they can count on, and it's pretty obvious that this staff places a high value on kids that are motivated.

With Pelini's policy, if he's taking other visits etc, isn't he not a commit? I thought Pelini's commitment policy was "you're either with us or against us."

i don't know about being "against us", but this staff has been clear that it expects its commits to not take other visits or they will no longer be considered commits and not be guaranteed a scholarship.

Don't get too crazy guys. Just because he opens it up doesn't mean anything other then there are new options on the table and they need to be reviewed. I don't think we can assume he's gone until we here how his visits go.

he's quoted as saying he would love to stay in Cali and that he grew up cheering for the trojans. He's gone guys. Not a huge problem though.

When was the last time that a recruit opened up his recruitment and stuck with his original school?

What I find very puzzling is that the staff seems to be cooling on him on the basis that he won't be here in the Spring?

Really? We are letting a guy like this get away from us because he could miss spring practices? I feel there's gotta be more to that and would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

two things: first, missing spring practice makes it difficult for him to contribute significantly in his first year and this staff expects their juco transfers to be early impact players. second, the kid should have finished up at semester if he'd taken care of business. the fact that he didn't hold up his end of the bargain is not a good sign to the staff that he's the type of player they can count on, and it's pretty obvious that this staff places a high value on kids that are motivated.

I get what you are saying Dylan, but the Lavonte David example proves your first point to be somewhat irrelevent.

From what I am hearing, this is not too big of a deal; and like I was saying earlier: we are very well stocked at safety. Our starters this year are a junior and a sophomore. This kid being a juco does not make that big of a difference in our future depth.

I wonder if the staff is on another recruit and there is more to the story than any of us know? We are filling up and getting highschool kids, normally, is the priority. Also, it is a priviledge to get an offer for free tuition and a college education, but you also have to earn it. I don't know what is going on with the grades, but if it is a motivation issue...... move on, if not, I hope he makes it where ever he decides to go.

He officially has 3 finalists. Florida, USC, and Nebraska. I'd put a lot of money he ends up at USC. NEXT!

kiss him goodbye..... people were getting real high on him too

i am sick of our staff finding these guys and doing all the work and then other programs looking at what we see and offering... in essence i'm tired of nebraska being a minor farm recruiting team for the other guys

number 2 i hope it comes a time soon when nebraska will be THEE place to go and not get dropped when some other school comes calling.....

its gonna happen i know but it still sucks

Didn't Spurrier say when he was coaching at Florida when asked how they go about choosing which recruits to offer and he said whoever Nebraska had offered? But that's what you get when you aren't in a recruiting hotbed, you have to go out before the other schools to get their attention, and most of them end up choosing the home school anyway.

I get what you are saying Dylan, but the Lavonte David example proves your first point to be somewhat irrelevent.

From what I am hearing, this is not too big of a deal; and like I was saying earlier: we are very well stocked at safety. Our starters this year are a junior and a sophomore. This kid being a juco does not make that big of a difference in our future depth.

lavonte is a pretty unique talent and even he only got to start early because of injuries to our top two linebackers. he's had to learn the system on the fly and this has left him out of position on many occasions. yes, he has made a ton of plays (and probably deserves consideration for league defensive player of the year), but his mental lapses are also a big part of why our run defense has struggled at times.

no matter how talented stafford is, it would be difficult for him to become proficient enough at the defense to step right in with only fall practice under his belt. this is particularly true when we have pretty good returning safeties in osborne and smith (not to mention cooper and jackson waiting in the wings). perhaps he could give cassidy a run at peso.

i truly hope he's awesome and that he is an impact newcomer, i'm just saying that arriving in the fall is not an ideal situation and could easily explain the staff cooling on him (if they actually have), particularly when early eligibility was something he had direct control over.

lavonte is a pretty unique talent and even he only got to start early because of injuries to our top two linebackers. he's had to learn the system on the fly and this has left him out of position on many occasions. yes, he has made a ton of plays (and probably deserves consideration for league defensive player of the year), but his mental lapses are also a big part of why our run defense has struggled at times.

no matter how talented stafford is, it would be difficult for him to become proficient enough at the defense to step right in with only fall practice under his belt. this is particularly true when we have pretty good returning safeties in osborne and smith (not to mention cooper and jackson waiting in the wings). perhaps he could give cassidy a run at peso.

i truly hope he's awesome and that he is an impact newcomer, i'm just saying that arriving in the fall is not an ideal situation and could easily explain the staff cooling on him (if they actually have), particularly when early eligibility was something he had direct control over.

I dont disagree with you at all Dylan, what I learned this evening was that him graduating in December was actually a stipulation on his scholarship offer from the start. But we have had juco kids step right in and play. Gomes and David are both example. Regardless of injuries, David would have found his way onto the field. Him not graduating this winter made it an equal parting of the ways for both parties. He claimed that the NU coaches "lost his number," yet he talks to TMart once a week. :facepalm: The kid could have lied a bit better don't you think?

So, who takes this kid's spot? We are still out on a lot of talented prospects. I'd like a DT or WR over another DB. We got some great DB recruits in this class already.

I think that we should take some more of Indianas awesome recruits. :sarcasm