Beebe to give big 12 members with one foot out the door an ultimatum.

Interesting....What do you think?

Plus, there's a blurb by Kelly and ND's independence.

What gets lost in all this expansion frenzy is that NU isn't just considering the Big Ten for athletics alone. The bigger picture in all of this is improving NU's overall status as an academic institution. I've read from many Big 10 fans that when Penn St. first joined the Big 10, they were at the bottom of the totem pole academically, but because they joined the Big 10, their academic profile shot up the ranks and now they're better off than they've ever been thanks in large part to the CIC. The CIC is a goldmine and Chancellor Perlman knows this. Perlman is a scholar, so his interest in the Big Ten is about academic prestige. Research is where the $ is at and the Big Ten gets large chunks of those research-related contracts in both public and private sectors. This is the REAL reason why NU is considering the Big Ten. In the end, Perlman will have the final say whether we go or not. I'd be shocked if he turned down the offer.

The athletic side of the Big Ten opportunity is just icing on the cake for NU. Being a member of the CIC would be the grand slam for the university as a whole.

It may get lost by us, but someone will pay attention to this factor. It may not all be positive, though. Right now, the U educates most any in-state kid who can graduate high school and find his or her way to Lincoln. If we start excluding in-state kids for scholars from out of state who can post 30 or above on the ACT or 1300 + on the SAT (or whatever is a good score on those tests), lawmakers may get upset. We would benefit somewhat from these graduating brainiacs, but I suspect some smartie who comes to Lincoln from Dallas, for a program we are strong in, will graduate and high-tail it for a big city somewhere. Nebraska is not the center of industry in the U.S. There are other colleges in Nebraska for in-staters, but is there enough room? I would doubt we forego the invitation based on this, but who knows? The good news is high schools would probably get better in their attempt to qualify kids for the new and improved NU. **This is just a thought. I really don't know what I am talking about.**

What gets lost is all of our records against conference opponents will go from a typical 62-30-1 to something like 3-2. There's a lot of history against those old big 8 schools that will be rendered somewhat irrelevant if we move. I hope this conference changing carousel lets Nebraska off soon. :rollin

This is where Nebraska's Innovation Campus (aka Research Park) comes into play over the next 20 years. The potential of Research Park will help keep UNL graduates in the state since one of its many objectives is to create job growth in Nebraska.

I can't comment on the effects of the admittance standards at UNL if they were to join the Big Ten. I've heard that they'd have to subscribe to the same policies that the other Big Ten members do. What it all entails, I'm not exactly sure? With that in mind, UNK and UNO would likely see an increase in their enrollments for those who can't make it into the UNL system under the Big Ten. How much overflow could UNK and UNO handle? I don't know, but I imagine they'd find a way to make it work?

Just to give you some figures behind the REAL reason why NU is considering the move to the Big Ten as I mentioned in my previous post, here's what the current numbers are in both athletics and academics.

Presently

Big Ten Athletics TV Revenue = $242 million/yr. divided by 11 schools ($22 million/school/yr.)

CIC Academic Membership = $6 billion/yr. divided by 12 schools ($500 million/school/yr.) **There are 12 members of the CIC. U. of Chicago is that 12th member, but doesn't participate in Big Ten athletics.**

If you're wondering where I'm getting the $6 billion figure for the CIC, here it is.

This article makes a future projection of what the Big Ten could be making in TV revenue for athletics if it expanded to 16 teams. As for the split among 17 CIC members, I'll leave it blank since I couldn't find any projections for such. However I would assume that they'd be eligible for even more research grants with 5 additional members to carry the added load. It's just a matter of how much more money that would mean? Needless to say, it's still a whole lot of money no matter how you choose to look at it.

Future Projection

Big Ten Athletics TV Revenue = $640 million/yr. divided by 16 schools ($40 million/school/yr.)

CIC Academic Membership = ???

The financial benefits for joining the Big Ten academically speaking blows the TV revenue figures for athletics out of the water. If Nebraska were to join the Big Ten, then it'd be like being invited to an exclusive restaurant where the CIC = the 5 course meal, while Big Ten athletics = dessert.

Delany's business model for college football...

Beebe's business model for college football...

Love the screen name or whatever you call it if it is for the Foppa I'm thinking of. I only know of one....and he wore #21.

post-764-127398146545.jpg

:koolaid2:

Delany's business model for college football...

Beebe's business model for college football...

Love the screen name or whatever you call it if it is for the Foppa I'm thinking of. I only know of one....and he wore #21.

post-764-127398146545.jpg

:koolaid2:

PETER THE GREAT!!! Sorry to derail the thread.....I just miss watching Foppa play. He is truly missed in the NHL and on my favorite hockey team. Thanks for the reminder, Husker Foppa!

Beebe can't give any ultimatums. He can chirp all he wants (and he is chirping cuz he's scared) but he and his minions in the South are just trying to control the damage and do spin control. Everyone sees it.

UT will likely be fine in all of this as well as they're little brother in Oklahoma. Beebe will probably be okay once he is punted from his spot (after the fact) because he is really just an extended staff member of UT anyway.

What would be funny is if NU/MU/CU bolt AND the ACC/Pac-10 alliance happens instead of the Big 12/Pac-10. The ACC alliance could me more attractive if the Big 12 is without those 3 schools because Arkansas is not foolish and won't leave. U$C is as arrogant or worse than Texas. The Pac-10/ACC deal would deliver both coasts and CU would deliver what it can capture of the Denver market, which historically isn't much.

I wonder if Stanford would be "persuaded" to let UT join this time.

If that happens, there goes the alliance with OU because I can't see Stanford, let alone the rest of the Pac-10 wanting a non AAU school.

There is too much cronyism and politics to have UT/OU/ATM/Okie Lite and the like "switch". I think they're all one school. UT could go it alone if it wanted to money-wise but let's not forget the politics.

The KU/KSU political part might be too much to tackle also.

Beebe will send the Big XII to its grave. The other schools will not stand for the South's arrogant control of the conference like this long term.

I think Beebe will take the Big XII down, but other schools don't seem to care that much. Again at the last meetings there was an 11-1 vote in favor of moving the CCG down to JerryDome, with Nebraska again being the lone dissenting vote.

For as much as these other schools like to complain about the South, they don't seem to have the ability to stand up to them.