Is Bo an upper-echelon coach?

in 2007, Nebraska was 5-7. In Bo's first year or 2008, we had 9 wins including the bowl win. Last year, we got to double digit wins with the obvious stomping of Zona in the Holiday Bowl. Next year, I don't see us winning anything short of 11 games (could be lowballing it). So say we win 12 games? Win the Big 12? When is Bo considered among the great coaches? Let me remind you Nick Saban took a 6-7 Bama team to 7-6, 12-2, and then 14-0 as national champs.

I thought I learned everything I needed to know last year. He had a team with high expectations suffer massive injuries and drop a couple to teams they should have rolled. Most coaches would have lost their teams, but instead bo thrived. I have no doubt Bo is an upper tier coach.

Hard to make an argument for upper echelon when your offense sucks so bad.

Don’t get me wrong, I solidly support team Pelini. I just think we need a bit of improvement in the scoring department before we hoist him up on a raised pedestal and throw flower petals at his feet.

I think Bo is doing a fine job so far, but the fact remains, he hasn't beat a top 10-20 team yet, and the offense is in worse shape than when he arrived, but that could prove to be an anomaly. Let's see how this season plays out. If the Huskers take a step up, then I think you can say Bo is knocking on the doorstep of the upper echelon. A little premature at this point though, if you ask me.

I agree with everyone so far. I think we need to see more Head Coach work from Pellini. As a Def Coordinator, I'd rank him very high(with the defenses at Neb, OU and LSU), but he needs to have atleast a couple more great seasons under his belt before we put him with the best.

Time will tell. I think at worst he is a great defensive coordinator. I think the direction of the program over the next few years will answer your question. My guess is yes, Bo is an upper echelon coach.

That sounds on the money to me. He's a DC the quality of TO as an OC.

If he fixes the other side of the ball to a reasonable consistent good to great he's in the TO/Devaney league.

Personally I would like to see him win something before we compare him to Nebraska's greatest coaches.

He is a great defensive mind. Will he become an offensive threat is the question. I think he will, but still a long ways to go.

• Fire 1

It's a tough question that I would like to answer with another question. If he had a kick-a$$ OC that took care of the offense. Does he become looked at like an Top tier coach? I mean, the offense isn't too hot. Is that a result of him, or Watson? Some of the great defenses we had under TO ... was that because of TO? Yet, TO was an upper-echelon coach.

I think Bo is on his way. Maybe a few more years of experience. Or if he gets a hot, up and coming OC, he gets there quicker.

Personally I would like to see him win something before we compare him to Nebraska's greatest coaches.

He is a great defensive mind. Will he become an offensive threat is the question. I think he will, but still a long ways to go.

Exactly. He looks like he's on the right track, but I'd rather see proof than potential.

in 2007, Nebraska was 5-7. In Bo's first year or 2008, we had 9 wins including the bowl win. Last year, we got to double digit wins with the obvious stomping of Zona in the Holiday Bowl. Next year, I don't see us winning anything short of 11 games (could be lowballing it). So say we win 12 games? Win the Big 12? When is Bo considered among the great coaches? Let me remind you Nick Saban took a 6-7 Bama team to 7-6, 12-2, and then 14-0 as national champs.

Remember that we went 8-4 and 9-5 after Callahan had a year in the system. It looked like things were picking up; we came off a 21-7 loss in the Big 12 CCG against Oklahoma, followed by a close loss in the bowl to Auburn. We were thinking we could've been a 10, even 11 win team that year. And everyone was thinking...okay, 8-4, 9-5. Now it's 10+ win territory. We're going to win 10-12 games this year and challenge for the NCG yearly.

Instead...everything fell apart.

It's dangerous making projections like that.

We're in 9 win territory right now. From here, it's much easier to fall back down than to improve or even just to hold steady. Don't take that as granted, as much as Bo's regime is in its infancy. Sustained long term success will always be hard to find...if we keep making unrealistic predictions, we'll always be disappointed.

• Fire 2