WR Stanley Jean-Baptiste

nice to see a WR in the mix..... i can understand why we aren't WR-U but you'd think some guys would like to come on over and be legends... its not like we haven't thrown the ball when we've had the talent around (by the way how does that make our WRs feel now knowing that the OC has changed some our Offensive stratigy because basicly they suck.... :facepalm: exceot for you Niles :corndance and maybe you Kinnie)

Unless there is reason to believe that the offensive line wasn't giving adequate time or passing lanes to a QB that was already playing at a high level, then an improved offensive line isn't likely to make an impact on QB play. There are times, especially with quarterbacks that don't move around in the pocket well or whom don't throw outside the hashes well, when an offensive line giving up 2 seconds or less will have a direct impact on QB play. However, contrary to traditional thinking, many stats often attributed to lineman in that regard have a far better correlation with the QB himself. Sacks are the most common statistic in that regard. Even when QBs change teams, their sack rate tends to hold rather steady. Traditionally we place the blame on the offensive lineman for a sack, when in actuality the QB controls most of the factors that would lead to a sack.

If a QB showed high aptitude when given time, then the improvement of the offensive line would allow him to showcase that more consistently. However, most of our QB issues are independent of the offensive line. Our QBs are slow in the pocket. Their drops are too slow, their reads are too slow, and they tend to hold onto the ball too long (talking specifically Cody and Zac......Martinez has his own issues). I know a lot of people have changed opinion on Zac since the injury revelation, but I'm not one of them. My notes from the Florida Atlantic game are full of things that Zac really didn't do well. His stats look good because of the level of competition. The passing windows were huge and he often had 4 receivers open. He missed the proper window more times than not, often throwing players into zones and out of bounds. It is a classic example showcasing that completion percentage does not equal passing accuracy. His completion percentage may have been high, but he was not putting the ball where it needed to be put, when it needed to be put there.

That said, I'm of the opinion that despite the injuries, Zac improved as a QB as the season went on. He still has a lot of work to do, however.

None of that means the offensive line doesn't need to improve, because they do in a huge way. Where we should see improvement there and indirectly help the QB is in areas like not committing fouls and in the running game. So, so often last year we were a block away in the running game. Often poor technique just killed us. For example, I can think of at least two personal foul calls last year that were a result of poor cut blocking. One was against OU (iirc) where an interior lineman was attempting to block a LB, whiffed, and his moment rolled him into a blocked defender. The other I can't recall the game at the moment, but a missed cut block caused an inadvertent leg whip on a defender. We use a lot of cut blocks in this offense, particular on backside zone blocks and our execution of those blocks really needs to improve. That's just one example, of many. The plays were often there, though, but the execution did not always follow.

More experience, a deeper, healthier unit, and dare I say a potentially more talented offensive line should indeed help the offense as a whole. I expect a big turnaround in this offense this year, not the least of which being what should be an improved offensive line. There's really no reason that this offense can't get back to the 425-450 yards per game level.

Man, brophog, that's dang near a book. But a good read nonetheless. A little off topic, but a good read on the offense. Now I myself am a little ADD, so I'm kinda surprised I could concentrate long enough to comprehend all that, but good job.

As for Jean-Baptiste, he's got the measurables to be a good one. Good to know he grew up in SEC country, hopefully that mean's he's a baller. He's got a sweet name, and if he can be as good as Mo was or I think Kinnie will be, it'd be a great catch, especially considering he'll be here a full four years. Let's just hope he picks up the offense and, to get on Gilmore's good side, KNOWS HOW TO BLOCK! :) . This eases some of my concern at WR, although I'd still love another gamebreaker-type.

nice to see a WR in the mix..... i can understand why we aren't WR-U but you'd think some guys would like to come on over and be legends... its not like we haven't thrown the ball when we've had the talent around (by the way how does that make our WRs feel now knowing that the OC has changed some our Offensive stratigy because basicly they suck.... :facepalm: exceot for you Niles :corndance and maybe you Kinnie)

Unless there is reason to believe that the offensive line wasn't giving adequate time or passing lanes to a QB that was already playing at a high level, then an improved offensive line isn't likely to make an impact on QB play. There are times, especially with quarterbacks that don't move around in the pocket well or whom don't throw outside the hashes well, when an offensive line giving up 2 seconds or less will have a direct impact on QB play. However, contrary to traditional thinking, many stats often attributed to lineman in that regard have a far better correlation with the QB himself. Sacks are the most common statistic in that regard. Even when QBs change teams, their sack rate tends to hold rather steady. Traditionally we place the blame on the offensive lineman for a sack, when in actuality the QB controls most of the factors that would lead to a sack.

If a QB showed high aptitude when given time, then the improvement of the offensive line would allow him to showcase that more consistently. However, most of our QB issues are independent of the offensive line. Our QBs are slow in the pocket. Their drops are too slow, their reads are too slow, and they tend to hold onto the ball too long (talking specifically Cody and Zac......Martinez has his own issues). I know a lot of people have changed opinion on Zac since the injury revelation, but I'm not one of them. My notes from the Florida Atlantic game are full of things that Zac really didn't do well. His stats look good because of the level of competition. The passing windows were huge and he often had 4 receivers open. He missed the proper window more times than not, often throwing players into zones and out of bounds. It is a classic example showcasing that completion percentage does not equal passing accuracy. His completion percentage may have been high, but he was not putting the ball where it needed to be put, when it needed to be put there.

That said, I'm of the opinion that despite the injuries, Zac improved as a QB as the season went on. He still has a lot of work to do, however.

None of that means the offensive line doesn't need to improve, because they do in a huge way. Where we should see improvement there and indirectly help the QB is in areas like not committing fouls and in the running game. So, so often last year we were a block away in the running game. Often poor technique just killed us. For example, I can think of at least two personal foul calls last year that were a result of poor cut blocking. One was against OU (iirc) where an interior lineman was attempting to block a LB, whiffed, and his moment rolled him into a blocked defender. The other I can't recall the game at the moment, but a missed cut block caused an inadvertent leg whip on a defender. We use a lot of cut blocks in this offense, particular on backside zone blocks and our execution of those blocks really needs to improve. That's just one example, of many. The plays were often there, though, but the execution did not always follow.

More experience, a deeper, healthier unit, and dare I say a potentially more talented offensive line should indeed help the offense as a whole. I expect a big turnaround in this offense this year, not the least of which being what should be an improved offensive line. There's really no reason that this offense can't get back to the 425-450 yards per game level.

Man, brophog, that's dang near a book. But a good read nonetheless. A little off topic, but a good read on the offense. Now I myself am a little ADD, so I'm kinda surprised I could concentrate long enough to comprehend all that, but good job.

As for Jean-Baptiste, he's got the measurables to be a good one. Good to know he grew up in SEC country, hopefully that mean's he's a baller. He's got a sweet name, and if he can be as good as Mo was or I think Kinnie will be, it'd be a great catch, especially considering he'll be here a full four years. Let's just hope he picks up the offense and, to get on Gilmore's good side, KNOWS HOW TO BLOCK! :) . This eases some of my concern at WR, although I'd still love another gamebreaker-type.

read he was originally committed to colorado..........

:facepalm:

So if he is part of the 2010 class has he been evaluated yet was hoping he would be a 3 star just so it would push us over the edge and drop Miz zhity below us in the final rankings just because I dont like them that much!!!! Not sure if Rivals goes back and updates stuff like that but it would be nice.

... I doubt they'll go back and update the rankings. He would have been a high 3* or low 4* based on his measurables and catching ability, but I highly doubt we'll ever see the stars next to his name... this kid is a diamond in the rough though and with or withou Rivals, Scout, or ESPN's opinion... he sends us over Mizzou's class... our class was better... our coaches will develop our talent better... so we beat Mizzou fair and square...

This 2011 class is looking like it's gonna end with at least 10 :star :star :star :star and if Aaron has a good senior season and he comes our way he's very apt to bump up to a :star :star :star :star :star by the end of the season... I predict in February we'll sign 12-15 :star :star :star :star and one :star :star :star :star :star

• Fire 1

Us not getting Owa probably help make this possible

Wow, great catch aspeedlin. That's a very unique way to look at it. I definitely welcome a gamer at receiver. I think if we strike gold in this class at DE, that would be good. But I'm confident that Allen, Meredith, Williams can get the job done. And I hope Ankrah is as much of a beast as everyone says he is... that would make a lot of people forget Owa.

What a steal!! I predict he will be the sleeper of the 2010 class!!!

Can we go back and revote on who is going to be the first of the 2010 class to score a TD??? I vote for SJB!!!

3rd and 3 from our 45 yard line. Play action pass for 55 yards, game no. 1 against WKU. Booyah!!!!

Ok, I will put away my crystal ball.

Given his rather strange circumstances I don't know if SJB gets a ranking but if Heard makes grades we could end-up moving-up a couple notches in the final rivals 2010 class-rankings(the one that doesn't include all the SEC's academic casualties).

I like that we're getting him in for the Fall. Wouldn't expect him to see more than mop-up but he'll get his feet wet in the system and could compete for a starting job in '11. For all the drama we had I'd say we ended up with a very salty crew of wr's for the class of 2010. I like Bell and Enunwa better than Carter and Terry. Tyler Evans is a quality athlete with Ivy League smarts that could surprise. Now we have a guy with height and speed in SJB, nice haul.