I posted a link some dozens of posts back that showed proper brewing temps of coffee. I have a "cheat sheet" on my office wall from my Bodum presser that tells me to brew it at the same temp. That temp? 195-205 degrees.

You don't have to believe me. Go to several local coffee shops in your area and have them stick a thermometer in their joe. Or just google proper brewing temperature for coffee and read for yourself.

These standards haven't changed since McDonald's was found guilty, and if Leibeck vs. McDonald's was really showing us what reckless disregard for customer safety was, you wouldn't see vendors brewing and serving coffee at these temps today. Clearly??? they are, which you would find if you did some simple legwork, so something is wonky with the assertion that McDonald's was reckless.

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong when it comes to chemistry. Clearly you're the expert here. But give me some credit for being, at least in this conversation, "the expert" in coffee. I could dismiss your chemistry information as easily as you're dismissing my knowledge of coffee preparation, but that wouldn't make me right. It doesn't matter how much I try to ignore it, chemistry is what it is, and you're right about what you're saying (near as I can tell). Same goes for coffee - I know my coffee, and have for years.

I'm hardly an expert..I'm pretty sure my Ex. is teaching this level of science to her eighth graders on the Reservation.

I really don't want to say this.

But the only thing I can gather from most of your posts, is that you have trouble distinguishing between "Brewing Temperature" and "Serving Temperature"

I'm very sorry if I'm wrong, you probably KNOW the difference, but brain farts can cause us to mix them up sometimes... I'll still respect your coffee knowledge either way, but when one of your "facts" is that the cute Barrister BREWS it at 220F, it makes all of your other "Legwork" (Facts) extremely suspect.

Turns out I actually have one of those "French Press" thingies..I bought it a couple months ago at IKEA so I naturally assumed it was some sort of Swedish Press (FÖRSTÅ).

I've only used it with Boiling water, which according to one of your links, is about 7 to 17 degrees too high for optimum flavor. but with my taste buds, I doubt I'll notice the difference...But I'll try if it ever gets below 90 out here before 5AM again.

:thumbs

It's 8:30 PM and 103F right now. :madash

All this goes to prove one thing - McDonald's needs to drop coffee and start serving ice-cold beer. Problem solved.

Next, I solve the issue of world peace. No, no, no - no need to thank me. I but live to serve (well, other than coffee - I won't serve that now).

As long as they don't BREW it..At those temps, they'll kill all the yeasties.

And..Not that I don't enjoy our neighbors to the South, but can you do anything to distract the Mexicans and put them in ...I mean TO...put them TO work at that Gulf Oil Spill?

Cold Beers?

You think you would see me cry at spilling scalding hot coffee between my hind legs, you should see me cry over spilled beer.

But the only thing I can gather from most of your posts, is that you have trouble distinguishing between "Brewing Temperature" and "Serving Temperature"

I'm very sorry if I'm wrong, you probably KNOW the difference, but brain farts can cause us to mix them up sometimes... I'll still respect your coffee knowledge either way, but when one of your "facts" is that the cute Barrister BREWS it at 220F, it makes all of your other "Legwork" (Facts) extremely suspect.

Turns out I actually have one of those "French Press" thingies..I bought it a couple months ago at IKEA so I naturally assumed it was some sort of Swedish Press (FÖRSTÅ).

I've only used it with Boiling water, which according to one of your links, is about 7 to 17 degrees too high for optimum flavor. but with my taste buds, I doubt I'll notice the difference...But I'll try if it ever gets below 90 out here before 5AM again.

I get why you say the bold above. I'm talking a lot about brewing and not a lot about serving. The focus of that is the pour-over, which takes 210 degree water and pours it straight through the grounds into the cup, which is then put directly into my hands. It's also heaven in a cup, and the best thing you can have at a coffee shop. That best illustrates my point about the safety issue of giving someone coffee at or near 180 degrees, and it's a real-world, today example. That's why I keep saying that.

We're certainly at a point where we're not going to change minds, and we're just mulling over chemistry and types of coffee served. I'll talk coffee all day long, but the conversation is dwindling down.

• 3 years later...

Wow..700 burn victims?

I had no idea it wwas that high.

I only get coffee to go when I'm on a long road trip..But then I usually add chocolate and/or vanilla to it and maybe a couple of ice cubes if no tough guys are watching..Then my Son usually hogs it.

Resurecting ancient threads before the offseason are we?

I get why you say the bold above. I'm talking a lot about brewing and not a lot about serving. The focus of that is the pour-over, which takes 210 degree water and pours it straight through the grounds into the cup, which is then put directly into my hands. It's also heaven in a cup, and the best thing you can have at a coffee shop. That best illustrates my point about the safety issue of giving someone coffee at or near 180 degrees, and it's a real-world, today example. That's why I keep saying that.

Yikes!!!

You must have well calloused hands from something.

I posted a link some dozens of posts back that showed proper brewing temps of coffee. I have a "cheat sheet" on my office wall from my Bodum presser that tells me to brew it at the same temp. That temp? 195-205 degrees. You don't have to believe me. Go to several local coffee shops in your area and have them stick a thermometer in their joe. Or just google proper brewing temperature for coffee and read for yourself. These standards haven't changed since McDonald's was found guilty, and if Leibeck vs. McDonald's was really showing us what reckless disregard for customer safety was, you wouldn't see vendors brewing and serving coffee at these temps today. Clearly they are, ....

Actually I'd be a little surprised if coffee vendors did change their practices of serving coffee that hot.. It's almost like the posted speed limit on the freeways I use to go to work..(except I doubt there's a posted temp for coffee).. We're not sposed to go over 65..but at least 70% of us are going 80..And the motorcycle cops go 110 so they can pull over the people going 90.

I reserve a special hatred for the moving speedbumps going under 70..(they're the ones yaking away on their cell phones more often than not)..