Frank the Tank blogger still thinks NU is a Big Ten lock

Nexus

If all of this goes down don't you think every major conference will benefit from tv money? I'm assuming the 4 superconferences built so expansion for the other 2 means more bargaining power with even the cable channels like ESPN/ABC...

So who does the SEC target? ACC? Does ACC merge with what's left of Big East? What about MWC/WAC? Could they have a share in all this with Utah, Boise, TCU, BYU and then a possible Kansas/KSU merger? Who's going to be the 4th conference after the SEC takes their picks?

And this is such a great offseason!

I think the Pac10, Big10, ACC, and SEC will be the four conferences left standing. The Big12 and Big East will cease to exist and the MWC, WAC, MAAC will be left to pick up the scrapes.

@Fro - I get what you're saying now. I thought it was a discussion of the relative worth of both schools, but I misread your intent.

I think we're both going to the Big 10 Superconference, and it's going to be great. Think of the CIC benefits, the cachet of rubbing elbows with four of the top six football schools of all time, and the money. Think of how competitive Missouri would be in football and basketball walking in the door. Nice, huh? :thumbs

@Fro - I get what you're saying now. I thought it was a discussion of the relative worth of both schools, but I misread your intent.

I think we're both going to the Big 10 Superconference, and it's going to be great. Think of the CIC benefits, the cachet of rubbing elbows with four of the top six football schools of all time, and the money. Think of how competitive Missouri would be in football and basketball walking in the door. Nice, huh? :thumbs

I am excited about the possibility. The school and programs can benifit greatly from the increased money. Looking back years from now I hope that if the move is made I can say, wow that was really the beginning of something great.

Now what I'm wondering is if the Big 10 and the Pac10 both bull rush to expand, the SEC will have to follow suit. Three super conferences. Then what happens? How far is this train going to travel before it's over?

If both the Pac-10 and the Big 10 expand to 16 teams, the SEC will definitely follow suit. I can't imagine them sitting on their hands and not making an offer to Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. That would be foolish on their part. They would also have to look at teams like Miami and Florida St, and they'd have leverage over the ACC with that fat contract they just signed with ESPN.

IF this all goes down, the four superconferences of 16 teams each is the most likely outcome. That will so utterly change the landscape of college football that we may as well start over from scratch. Death to the BCS, death/irrelevance to the NCAA, irrelevance to the WAC, C-USA, MAC, etc. It's going to be a hell of a ride for the next several months.

If the pac10 scenario plays out I still don't see where the 4th superconference will be...

My guess would be a mash up of ACC and Big East. The population base is far greater in that part of the country than in the Midwest and Mountain regions.

Fro, I have no data to dispute your numbers so even accepting them as fact, the bottom line is that the national cachet of Nebraska makes them a HUGE target. We are a branded name, and our overall revenue is among the tops in the NCAA. No matter how you slice it, Nebraska is a major player in this game.

Certainly on a national scale in football Nebraska's name is more prominent than anyone else in the North. That really can't be debated. As for what we all bring to the table... there are various ways to look at it, and you can make an argument in favor of Missouri as well as Nebraska. Regardless, I think both are attractive to the Big 10, and I think both "get invited" to the Big 10.

With the announcement of the Pac-10 offer to half the Big 12, I think it only more likely that Missouri and Nebraska end up in the Big 10. Once we're there, does it really matter who they wanted more? Especially when we all know they want Notre Dame most of all?

I wasnt debating NU's worth. More like a numbers laced rant at the dumb*** Ill. fan who is making stuff up. Nebraska brings the bucks Knappy. I was just showing the numbers are not skewed like he claims. As I said, NU is a national product. They more than make up for the small footprint with a great number of fans. as stated they would bring more than their share of revunue. Not at all a knock buddy. I just try to point examples to the board. I could have done it with MU/KU since he claims they bring in more $$ from TV, but I thought with it being a husker board and all... ;)

I just think he was mad because Ill. dropped the MU game since they kept losing and now there is talk of it being a conference game :nutz;)

I guess I don't quite get the numbers for TV revenue. How much does the Big 10 network cost subscribers? I thought that if it was not included in your basic (or premium) cable, it was an additional amount per month. If NU has a large national fan base and a small population base in state, would it not bring a tremendous amount of revenue to the Big 10 from Texas, California, Arizona, Colorado, etc?

So the sec grabs miami, fsu, vatech, gatech?

and the ACC becomes: BC, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, nc, ncstate, virginia, wake, wvu, south florida, louisville, cincy, uconn, pitt/syracuse, then what east carolina and USF? Of course if this were the case Skip Holtz probably made a lateral move from ECU to USF and Ruffin McNeal ending up at ECU was a huge deal for him!

So the sec grabs miami, fsu, vatech, gatech?

and the ACC becomes: BC, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, nc, ncstate, virginia, wake, wvu, south florida, louisville, cincy, uconn, pitt/syracuse, then what east carolina and USF? Of course if this were the case Skip Holtz probably made a lateral move from ECU to USF and Ruffin McNeal ending up at ECU was a huge deal for him!

For all the SEC possibilities, in case you haven't already, check this thread out.

Fro, I have no data to dispute your numbers so even accepting them as fact, the bottom line is that the national cachet of Nebraska makes them a HUGE target. We are a branded name, and our overall revenue is among the tops in the NCAA. No matter how you slice it, Nebraska is a major player in this game.

Certainly on a national scale in football Nebraska's name is more prominent than anyone else in the North. That really can't be debated. As for what we all bring to the table... there are various ways to look at it, and you can make an argument in favor of Missouri as well as Nebraska. Regardless, I think both are attractive to the Big 10, and I think both "get invited" to the Big 10.

With the announcement of the Pac-10 offer to half the Big 12, I think it only more likely that Missouri and Nebraska end up in the Big 10. Once we're there, does it really matter who they wanted more? Especially when we all know they want Notre Dame most of all?

I wasnt debating NU's worth. More like a numbers laced rant at the dumb*** Ill. fan who is making stuff up. Nebraska brings the bucks Knappy. I was just showing the numbers are not skewed like he claims. As I said, NU is a national product. They more than make up for the small footprint with a great number of fans. as stated they would bring more than their share of revunue. Not at all a knock buddy. I just try to point examples to the board. I could have done it with MU/KU since he claims they bring in more $$ from TV, but I thought with it being a husker board and all... ;)

I just think he was mad because Ill. dropped the MU game since they kept losing and now there is talk of it being a conference game :nutz;)

I guess I don't quite get the numbers for TV revenue. How much does the Big 10 network cost subscribers? I thought that if it was not included in your basic (or premium) cable, it was an additional amount per month. If NU has a large national fan base and a small population base in state, would it not bring a tremendous amount of revenue to the Big 10 from Texas, California, Arizona, Colorado, etc?

The network, in this case the BTN, would be included within a package from your provider. Like ESPN Classic and ESPN U. It would be paired and available to most cable subscribers in the footprint. National subscribers are very simular, with the exception that the channels are not always availble and ussually would be in a even higher tier of channels. Channels work out a tier fee schedule with the cable companies. Because of the deals the channel, BTN in this case, works out with the cable companies they normally would recieve $.70 to .80 cents per household in the footprint. The non-footprint (national) household would earn about $.05 to .10 per the deal for the network. The reason the footprint makes more is within the deal with the cable company. For example, the BTN, should NE join, could go to Cox and say, We have what you want, pony up. Where as in say, Alabama their cable company would not be put in the same situation. They could tell the BTN, we will carry your channel, but only pay X amount. The cable company stands to make more in ad rev with a channel that hits the local footprint, so they are willing to pay more. As far as the premium you pay your provider for those extra channels, that is split between all the channels you get with the tier and the cable company. Make sense??

And you are right that Nebraska would bring in money. If expansion was only about increased funds per the home states, NU would be out. There is no way the state alone could generate enough funds to increase the per team payout. However we all know that there are more husker fans than just those in NE. So all the fans that will pay the premiums to get the channel make Nebraska viable source of TV income. Its safe to say that NE could generate more funds easily than other teams being taked about if they had a large home state. As it stands they are profitable for the BTN on NE fans alone and because of their name they add to the likelyhood that CFB fans, would consider picking up the channel.

I took this quote from a story in the Pittsburgh Tribune

If the 2.2 million households in Missouri started earning the Big Ten Network the 70-cent basic-tier fee rather than the 10-cent out-of-region pay, that would equal potentially an extra $1.5 million per month

saying basically that even though many Missourians can now get the BTN, that if MU were in the Big10, the BTN could charge the footprint fee instead of national fee and that would result in an extra 1.5 mill a month. Thats why the footprint fees are important. But not the final say. Because as I stated above, NE carries lots of fans nationwide. Enough people would generate the out-of-region pay for the BTN that NE would make more than their fair share of the cut in money. It would just take alot of fans in CA, AZ, TX & CO to generate the funds that a large footprint state could. Like the example in my first post that 14 out-of region husker fans make the BTN $.70 and one guy in Omaha would make $.70 also.

I hope that answers your questions.

The network, in this case the BTN, would be included within a package from your provider. Like ESPN Classic and ESPN U. It would be paired and available to most cable subscribers in the footprint. National subscribers are very simular, with the exception that the channels are not always availble and ussually would be in a even higher tier of channels. Channels work out a tier fee schedule with the cable companies. Because of the deals the channel, BTN in this case, works out with the cable companies they normally would recieve $.70 to .80 cents per household in the footprint. The non-footprint (national) household would earn about $.05 to .10 per the deal for the network. The reason the footprint makes more is within the deal with the cable company. For example, the BTN, should NE join, could go to Cox and say, We have what you want, pony up. Where as in say, Alabama their cable company would not be put in the same situation. They could tell the BTN, we will carry your channel, but only pay X amount. The cable company stands to make more in ad rev with a channel that hits the local footprint, so they are willing to pay more. As far as the premium you pay your provider for those extra channels, that is split between at the channels you get with the tier and the cable company. Make sense??

And you are right that Nebraska would bring in money. If expansion was only about increased funds per the home states, NU would be out. There is no way the state alone could generate enough funds to increase the per team payout. However we all know that there are more husker fans than just those in NE. So all the fans that will pay the premiums to get the channel make Nebraska viable source of TV income. Its safe to say that NE could generate more funds easily than other teams being taked about if they had a large home state. As it stands they are profitable for the BTN on NE fans alone and because of their name they add to the likelyhood that CFB fans, would consider picking up the channel.

If the 2.2 million households in Missouri started earning the Big Ten Network the 70-cent basic-tier fee rather than the 10-cent out-of-region pay, that would equal potentially an extra $1.5 million per month

saying basically that even though many Missourians can now get the BTN, that if MU were in the Big10, the BTN could charge the footprint fee instead of national fee and that would result in an extra 1.5 mill a month. Thats why the footprint fees are important. But not the final say. Because as I stated above, NE carries lots of fans nationwide. Enough people would generate the out-of-region pay for the BTN that NE would make more than their fair share of the cut in money. It would just take alot of fans in CA, AZ, TX & CO to generate the funds that a large footprint state could. Like the example in my first post that 14 out-of region husker fans make the BTN $.70 and one guy in Omaha would make $.70 also.

My head hurts...........

The network, in this case the BTN, would be included within a package from your provider. Like ESPN Classic and ESPN U. It would be paired and available to most cable subscribers in the footprint. National subscribers are very simular, with the exception that the channels are not always availble and ussually would be in a even higher tier of channels. Channels work out a tier fee schedule with the cable companies. Because of the deals the channel, BTN in this case, works out with the cable companies they normally would recieve $.70 to .80 cents per household in the footprint. The non-footprint (national) household would earn about $.05 to .10 per the deal for the network. The reason the footprint makes more is within the deal with the cable company. For example, the BTN, should NE join, could go to Cox and say, We have what you want, pony up. Where as in say, Alabama their cable company would not be put in the same situation. They could tell the BTN, we will carry your channel, but only pay X amount. The cable company stands to make more in ad rev with a channel that hits the local footprint, so they are willing to pay more. As far as the premium you pay your provider for those extra channels, that is split between all the channels you get with the tier and the cable company. Make sense??

Gotcha, that makes sense now. I was thinking that out of the footprint, a cable provider might make it a "pay per view" type of situation where the subscriber pays a premium fee.

#2. Through what I have seen this can be figured at about $4.3 per person/subscriber. So, again 'Frank' is multiplying what he thinks is 'added' households. His values of new households are: kansas 1.7 mill, Missouri 1.5 mill, Nebraska 1.2 mill. So Kansas, a state less than 1/2 the population size of Mo has more households?? And MO only has 300K more households than NE despite nearly 3 times the population. Clearly wrong.

Maybe Frank the Tank was thinking that everyone in Kansas lives alone, people in Missouri live 20 - 30 people per home. As for Nebraska, he probably spent time here. With being here you quickly realize that every family has 2 - 3 tv's per home. Plus every family has at least 1 tv in their tractor/car, garage or tool shed/barn.

If all of this goes down don't you think every major conference will benefit from tv money? I'm assuming the 4 superconferences built so expansion for the other 2 means more bargaining power with even the cable channels like ESPN/ABC...

So who does the SEC target? ACC? Does ACC merge with what's left of Big East? What about MWC/WAC? Could they have a share in all this with Utah, Boise, TCU, BYU and then a possible Kansas/KSU merger? Who's going to be the 4th conference after the SEC takes their picks?

And this is such a great offseason!

All I know for sure is it will cause me to by a new NCAA video game and that I will have to get some new mini-helmets for my rec room. Wont work with the ones I have now if half or more of the teams are no longer in the conference. <_<

Hhhhhhmmmmm buying new NCAA video game and mini helmets. Thanks I didn't think about having to do that as well better start saving money. Come to think of it I wonder if EA Sports and the people who create the helmets are in on this just to boost sales.....interesting theory

Now what I'm wondering is if the Big 10 and the Pac10 both bull rush to expand, the SEC will have to follow suit. Three super conferences. Then what happens? How far is this train going to travel before it's over?

It's simple we invade and take over the NFL.

Fro Daddy I wasn't trying to bash Missouri just helping you pick on Frank the Tank. So please don't get affended.

Will the BIG 10+, Pac 10 make some announcements please i'm bored at work and need entertainment :(