DE Greg Townsend Jr.

Player: Greg Townsend Jr.

Hometown: Beverly Hills, CA

School: Beverly Hills HS

Position: DE

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 240

40 time:

Scholarships: Alabama, Arizona, Arizona St., California, Miami, Nebraska, Oregon, San Diego St., TCU, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington

Committed to USC

Rivals: :star :star :star :star (#4)

Scout: :star :star :star :star (#8)

ESPN: :star :star :star :star (#11)

How many "the son of former great" kids make it? Within the last 5-10 years, most of them I hear about are very talented, but generally speaking they burn out or don't live up to the hype. I'm mainly talking about Elway's son, because that's the main one I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone know of any recent guys that have made it? (Manning's are not "recent")

Note: Not meaning this in any way as negative towards Greg. I would definately do a dance if he committed. Just don't see many "son of" kids come around so it got me thinking..

How many "the son of former great" kids make it? Within the last 5-10 years, most of them I hear about are very talented, but generally speaking they burn out or don't live up to the hype. I'm mainly talking about Elway's son, because that's the main one I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone know of any recent guys that have made it? (Manning's are not "recent")

Note: Not meaning this in any way as negative towards Greg. I would definately do a dance if he committed. Just don't see many "son of" kids come around so it got me thinking..

Not really. But Joe Montana's son will be a freshman at Washington this year. He impressed at their spring game apparently. Just have to wait a few years to see if he develops or not.

Jackson Jeffcoat is one that comes to mind. Rated the best player in Texas and committed to UT in January. We will see him soon enough, he appears to have a pretty bright future.

• 1 month later...
GREG TOWNSEND, DE, 6-4, 240, BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA

Townsend Lists Favorites

“I haven’t committed yet probably not until January or February. The schools that I like right now are USC, Washington, Oregon, TCU and Miami. I like Michigan too but I’m waiting for an offer from them. Michigan wasn’t sure I was interested in them, so that’s what I’m waiting for.” Townsend said

“I just started liking Michigan if they offer me I’ll take an official there. For right now I just got the coaches phone numbers and get some mail from them too.” Townsend said

Trojans High On His List

“USC is a big time program they battle for the National Championship every year. USC told me they wanted me bad and I was their number one player on the list.” Townsend said

“USC is close by the house growing up Los Angeles you know about USC. I’ve been to three games year it’s a cool time I had a good time.” Townsend said

“At Oregon I can come in there and start. I went up there last year for the USC game and they beat USC.” Townsend said

“Oregon coaches came by my school a couple of times we created a little bond and my head coach nephew (Spencer Paysinger) plays for Oregon. I get to talk to a lot.” Townsend said

Huskie Coaches Made Big Impression

“In my eyes Washington has the coolest coaching staff I met. I’ve been up there a couple of times and I know some of the players up there.” Townsend said

“I have a good relationship with Coach Steve Sarkisian and Demetrice Martin. The coaches said they really want me and really need me. They said if I would come it would be my position to lose.” Townsend said

“TCU, my dad went there they had the top 10 defense three times the past ten years. I’ll probably take an official visit in the fall down there.” Townsend said

“I have family out there (Miami). The Hurricanes always produce big time players and I’m looking to make it to the next level.” Townsend said

Will Play With Brother

“My parents don’t care where I go just what’s the best interest in me. Of source my parents will talk to me about the decision too. Where ever I go my brother is going to come with me he plays football at JUCO (Long Beach City College). He is being recruited now and has offers from USC and TCU.” Townsend said

LINK

• 5 months later...