Enough!

sometimes it's best to not assume someone isn't enlightened just because they don't agree with you. :nanalama

Sorry bud, but that ship sailed for knapplc a looong time ago! :lol:

By all means, bob, if you have any information to refute the information that I've presented in this discussion, feel free to share them with the group. We're all ears.

i think it's disingenuous to say that this Big 10 thing is about boosting academic reputation and that we make a move based on that.

This is about one thing: we don't feel appreciated.

because of that, we're being emotional, and we may well make a decision based on emotion. and you get yourself in trouble when you do that.

the big 10 might indeed be a great deal for NU for academics, but it is highly debatable whether it will be good for our athletics. it's a big question mark and only time will tell.

but let's stop with all of the academics b.s. If NU was about academics first, we would have long since petitioned to join the Ivy League.

NU is a football factory. We all know it and we love it. and it's going to suck big time if we aren't any more. and I see the Big 10 as a one way ticket to football irrelevance, and sooner than later. and that makes me sad. call me simple.

i think it's disingenuous to say that this Big 10 thing is about boosting academic reputation and that we make a move based on that.

because of that, we're being emotional, and we may well make a decision based on emotion. and you get yourself in trouble when you do that.

the big 10 might indeed be a great deal for NU for academics, but it is highly debatable whether it will be good for our athletics. it's a big question mark and only time will tell.

but let's stop with all of the academics b.s. If NU was about academics first, we would have long since petitioned to join the Ivy League.

NU is a football factory. We all know it and we love it. and it's going to suck big time if we aren't any more. and I see the Big 10 as a one way ticket to football irrelevance, and sooner than later. and that makes me sad. call me simple.

You're making the mistake of thinking that the decision-makers in this situation have the same concerns as the average joe posting messages in an online forum. These are men and women in control of hundreds of millions of dollars in assets, responsible for the success of their institutions. This has nothing to do with "emotion" and not feeling "appreciated," and everything to do with what's best for the institution. Period.

What evidence do you have that moving to the Big 10 will hurt NU athletically? Why should it?

Talk about living up to your user name. This move would be worth it for the CIC money alone and if you don't agree with that you don't understand what schools are about. Remember that UNL is and always will be an academic institution first.

You're making the mistake of thinking that the decision-makers in this situation have the same concerns as the average joe posting messages in an online forum. These are men and women in control of hundreds of millions of dollars in assets, responsible for the success of their institutions. This has nothing to do with "emotion" and not feeling "appreciated," and everything to do with what's best for the institution. Period.

What evidence do you have that moving to the Big 10 will hurt NU athletically? Why should it?

Well, here's my theory:

1. The Big 10 is the Rust Belt. Cold weather, cold games. Not a big deal for OSU and Meechicken, because that's their home turf. and they've recruited their home turf for a century. They're entrenched. And by the way, they still aren't able to recruit adequate talent these days..

2. While NU recruits kids from all over, most of the out-of-staters come from the south and west. That brings up three big question marks:

1) Will the south and west players desire to play in the rust belt? In the cold weather? If you look at the rosters of the rust belt programs and where the kids are from, the answer is generally NO.

2) Even if it was warm weather, would the kids venture that far from home? I mean, are mom and dad going to encourage a kid to go play at a school where they have to fly to every game? The fact is that most recruits stay within a day's drive of home, so again, the answer may well be NO.

3) So if 1 and 2 are correct, new recruiting sources must be established. Quickly. But where? Wisconsin? Minnesota? Or are we going into OSU's background (or Michigan's or Penn State's), and let me guess...we are going to consistently convince THOSE high quality kids to move 1000 miles away from home to play ball, right?

If you think these aren't legitimate concerns, you are delusional. Best case, the impact is fairly minimal. But you have to have talent to win, and even a moderate impact on our recruiting could translate into a lot more losses.

Well, here's my theory:

1. The Big 10 is the Rust Belt. Cold weather, cold games. Not a big deal for OSU and Meechicken, because that's their home turf. and they've recruited their home turf for a century. They're entrenched. And by the way, they still aren't able to recruit adequate talent these days..

2. While NU recruits kids from all over, most of the out-of-staters come from the south and west. That brings up three big question marks:

1) Will the south and west players desire to play in the rust belt? In the cold weather? If you look at the rosters of the rust belt programs and where the kids are from, the answer is generally NO.

2) Even if it was warm weather, would the kids venture that far from home? I mean, are mom and dad going to encourage a kid to go play at a school where they have to fly to every game? The fact is that most recruits stay within a day's drive of home, so again, the answer may well be NO.

3) So if 1 and 2 are correct, new recruiting sources must be established. Quickly. But where? Wisconsin? Minnesota? Or are we going into OSU's background (or Michigan's or Penn State's), and let me guess...we are going to consistently convince THOSE high quality kids to move 1000 miles away from home to play ball, right?

If you think these aren't legitimate concerns, you are delusional. Best case, the impact is fairly minimal. But you have to have talent to win, and even a moderate impact on our recruiting could translate into a lot more losses.

You completely ignore the issue of the CIC, of course, but that's to be expected since it trounces any argument you have. But whatever. Addressing your points:

1. You continue to show a lack of understanding of the way recruiting works. First, tOSU, PSU and Michigan have not, until recently, put a premium on recruiting from California, Texas and/or Florida. Their recruiting apparatuses are minimal in these areas. This reflects a long-standing philosophy of recruiting in-region out of a belief in a certain kind of football. It isn't that they can't recruit down there, they simply chose not to - again, until recently. The rest of the Big 10 doesn't have the cachet it takes to recruit heavily out of region. Cold weather or no, kids aren't lining up to come to Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, etc.

Second, Nebraska has had a long-standing philosophy of recruiting nationwide. One would think that a fan of the Huskers like you would know this, and understand our recruiting structure. It's somewhat surprising that you don't grasp this... or maybe it isn't. Because of this long-standing philosophy, we have recruiting inroads across the nation, from the East Coast to Florida to the South to Texas to California and most points in between that have football talent. The coaches in these schools know us, and they know what Tom Osborne and his protege, Bo, bring to the table. We're already seeing dividends in Pelini's recruiting, and we'll continue to see those dividends no matter which conference we're in because of the relationships we have with these schools, with these coaches. Again, a Nebraska fan should know these things. It's basic to our culture.

1) Players desire to play for coaches and teams that are successful and will continue to be successful. They gain that desire through the development of the relationships of our coaches with their high school/JUCO coaches. Weather isn't a factor. Funny - nobody bats an eyelash when a Miami player gets drafted by New England, or the Jints, or the Packers. And you never seem to hear those players complaining about the cold. Kinda seems like football is football, no matter where you play it.

2) Kids venture "that far from home" right now. We have a plethora of kids on our roster and 2011 class from Florida and California. This is a non-issue.

3) 1 and 2 are not correct, and we will not have to create new recruiting sources. And if we needed to go into tOSU's backyard and recruit we would, and have. Braylon Heard ring a bell? Kevin Williams? Maybe you don't follow recruiting, but I don't really follow recruiting and I know about these kids from Ohio. Odd that you don't.

The more you post, the more it seems like you really don't "get" recruiting. It almost seems like you think a school just has to open its door and four or five kids fall into the coach's lap. Kind of like a certain southern school I know, one deep in the heart of Texas.

• Fire 1

sometimes it's best to not assume someone isn't enlightened just because they don't agree with you. :nanalama

By all means, bob, if you have any information to refute the information that I've presented in this discussion, feel free to share them with the group. We're all ears.

:facepalm: Man I bet your a hoot at parties.

Seriously Knapp, if you can't handle a little ball-busting maybe you shouldn't be a MOD on a internet message board.

Well, here's my theory:

These two things conflict. First you're convinced there's no talent to be had up north then you say you're concerned that we can't convice the "high quality kids" from the north to come to Nebraska. So which is it? All the good players are from your state or there is talent north of Texas but it just won't come to Nebraksa?

Seriously Knapp, if you can't handle a little ball-busting maybe you shouldn't be a MOD on a internet message board.

Uh...you just join in the discussion without adding anything of value and then you call out the MOD for asking you why you feel the way you do? I don't get it. Does this mean you have no valid arguments and must resort to stuff like this?

• Fire 2

Well, here's my theory:

These two things conflict. First you're convinced there's no talent to be had up north then you say you're concerned that we can't convice the "high quality kids" from the north to come to Nebraska. So which is it? All the good players are from your state or there is talent north of Texas but it just won't come to Nebraksa?

Two things:

1. Texas isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. But I do think that the Big 10 schools don't get much good talent from the south and west in general. Rosters bear that out. So if NU stands out as the only Big 10 team to get lots of talent from below the Mason Dixon line, then we will definitely be an anomaly. Facts is facts.

2. There's talent in the north for sure, but you're going to have to go in and mine it cold turkey, where other schools have been entrenched for a long, long time. I'm not talking about a one-off stud from Cardinal Mooney every now and then. I'm talking about the overall deal. And you're a long, long way from Lincoln in the process of trying to blaze new trails. We're going to have to change some long-standing patterns to march 800 or 1000 miles or more and start picking off Ohio, Meechicken, and PA recruits.

It ain't going to be any cake walk I can assure you of that. But it's all about academics anyway so who cares? :LOLtartar But if it was all about academics, then why did we fire Callahan? Was he a poor professor?

Uh...you just join in the discussion without adding anything of value and then you call out the MOD for asking you why you feel the way you do? I don't get it. Does this mean you have no valid arguments and must resort to stuff like this?

Nothing of value? Well It made me laugh, and if you ask me laughter is VERY valuable.

Seriously though, I was only trying to rib someone who IMO hasn't been exactly shy about expressing his high opinions of his own views. Whether that poster is or isn't a MOD, I could care less. I'm going to say what I feel regardless of someones 'status', that's just the way I'm wired, and I hope no one is holding their breathe waiting for that to change.

Well, here's my theory:

Two things:

1. Texas isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. But I do think that the Big 10 schools don't get much good talent from the south and west in general. Rosters bear that out. So if NU stands out as the only Big 10 team to get lots of talent from below the Mason Dixon line, then we will definitely be an anomaly. Facts is facts.

2. There's talent in the north for sure, but you're going to have to go in and mine it cold turkey, where other schools have been entrenched for a long, long time. I'm not talking about a one-off stud from Cardinal Mooney every now and then. I'm talking about the overall deal. And you're a long, long way from Lincoln in the process of trying to blaze new trails. We're going to have to change some long-standing patterns to march 800 or 1000 miles or more and start picking off Ohio, Meechicken, and PA recruits.

It ain't going to be any cake walk I can assure you of that. But it's all about academics anyway so who cares? :LOLtartar But if it was all about academics, then why did we fire Callahan? Was he a poor professor?

How does the ignore function work?

And on a non-related topic, I am registered on a Texas message board where I don't disguise that I am a husker fan.