Enough!

i think it's disingenuous to say that this Big 10 thing is about boosting academic reputation and that we make a move based on that.

This is about one thing: we don't feel appreciated.

because of that, we're being emotional, and we may well make a decision based on emotion. and you get yourself in trouble when you do that.

the big 10 might indeed be a great deal for NU for academics, but it is highly debatable whether it will be good for our athletics. it's a big question mark and only time will tell.

but let's stop with all of the academics b.s. If NU was about academics first, we would have long since petitioned to join the Ivy League.

NU is a football factory. We all know it and we love it. and it's going to suck big time if we aren't any more. and I see the Big 10 as a one way ticket to football irrelevance, and sooner than later. and that makes me sad. call me simple.

Talk about living up to your user name. This move would be worth it for the CIC money alone and if you don't agree with that you don't understand what schools are about. Remember that UNL is and always will be an academic institution first.

this may help some understand about the possible move being very valuable to nebraska-

this is the link to the CIC

http://www.cic.net/Home.aspx

CIC- committee on institutional cooperation.....it is a consortium of the big 10 and the university of chicago, which was a founding member of the big 10.

it recieves 6 BILLION in funded research

12% of the federal research funds

18% of the national science foundation total

15.7% of the usda total

remember osborne will have his say in the matter but the people deciding this matter, if we get an invite, will be the chancellor and president

of the university.

i think what is holding texas back is the last word in cic.

i think it's disingenuous to say that this Big 10 thing is about boosting academic reputation and that we make a move based on that.

Wrong.

Pearlman cares a lot more about the academics side of things than he does the athletics, and rightfully so. And the Big 10 does have much better academics than the Big 12. Hence the obvious jump in his mind if offered.

Two things:

1. Texas isn't as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. But I do think that the Big 10 schools don't get much good talent from the south and west in general. Rosters bear that out. So if NU stands out as the only Big 10 team to get lots of talent from below the Mason Dixon line, then we will definitely be an anomaly. Facts is facts.

2. There's talent in the north for sure, but you're going to have to go in and mine it cold turkey, where other schools have been entrenched for a long, long time. I'm not talking about a one-off stud from Cardinal Mooney every now and then. I'm talking about the overall deal. And you're a long, long way from Lincoln in the process of trying to blaze new trails. We're going to have to change some long-standing patterns to march 800 or 1000 miles or more and start picking off Ohio, Meechicken, and PA recruits.

It ain't going to be any cake walk I can assure you of that. But it's all about academics anyway so who cares? :LOLtartar But if it was all about academics, then why did we fire Callahan? Was he a poor professor?

When I first heard about the possibility of us going to the B-11 I had many of the same concerns..Plus, my EX is a Buckeye alum, so I hate the thought of ever losing to her team.

I do expect recruiting to be changed..it can't not be, but I was a little concerned we were getting a little too "Texas heavy" in our recruiting as of late..We'll probably lose some that we otherwise would've gotten, and gain some that we might not have been considered by before..But the increase (double?) in TV money and much more important, the probable exponential increase in research grants already earmarked for the rust belt schools pretty much blows me away.

• Fire 1

You completely ignore the issue of the CIC, of course, but that's to be expected since it trounces any argument you have. But whatever.

The obvious question... Why isn't Notre Dame overwhelmingly interested in their chunk of that 6 billion?

You make it sound as if there is 500 million waiting for whoever signs up. This is obviously a false assertion.

You completely ignore the issue of the CIC, of course, but that's to be expected since it trounces any argument you have. But whatever.

The obvious question... Why isn't Notre Dame overwhelmingly interested in their chunk of that 6 billion?

You make it sound as if there is 500 million waiting for whoever signs up. This is obviously a false assertion.

Well I'm guessing they have everything they need right now! Why have to ask anyone else what to do?

The CIC exists and it is a fact that they get the lion's share of the six billion dollars in grant money available for research. I have no idea why Notre Dame values their independence so highly, but the fact that they do doesn't obviate the fact that there is money to be made through the CIC.

The CIC exists and it is a fact that they get the lion's share of the six billion dollars in grant money available for research. I have no idea why Notre Dame values their independence so highly, but the fact that they do doesn't obviate the fact that there is money to be made through the CIC.

No links, but what I remember reading on them, they have some philisophical differences about what type of research the CIC endorses and how it is carried out.

That would make sense. There's also the fact that Notre Dame is the pinnacle Catholic university in America, and gets a tremendous amount of support from many of those folks. 68 million Catholics is a lot of people buying merchandise and watching your games and donating to your University, even if it's only a percentage of them.

No links, but what I remember reading on them, they have some philisophical differences about what type of research the CIC endorses and how it is carried out.

This is one of their biggest problems - there is research that happens that the Catholic Church doesn't approve of and one of their fears is that by joining the Big 10 they would be tacitly endorsing that research.

This is one of their biggest problems - there is research that happens that the Catholic Church doesn't approve of and one of their fears is that by joining the Big 10 they would be tacitly endorsing that research.

I've read this too, but have also wondered why couldn't ND still commit to the Big Ten in athletics only and do their own research independently. In the case of U. of Chicago, they're Big Ten members academically, but not athletically. I think that'd be a fair trade-off, don't you think?

I've read this too, but have also wondered why couldn't ND still commit to the Big Ten in athletics only and do their own research independently. In the case of U. of Chicago, they're Big Ten members academically, but not athletically. I think that'd be a fair trade-off, don't you think?

Good point, it's not like they don't already play the Big 10 for most of their football schedule.