Nebraska Football & The Big 12

JGS30

the OP is wrong. i can't speak for the entire B10, but there are many here in Columbus who welcome NU as an equal in the quest to stick it to the SEC. and remember, we are supposedly numero uno in our conference. does Texas view NU so favorably? not as far as i can see...

IMHO if we make a change, we go on equal standing or we just don't go. IF the Big XII seriously wants to keep the Big XII in existence, two things have to happen: (1) Texas has to come off their high horse and become an equal partner with the rest of the Big XII participants; and (2) The Big XII has to find a way to expand to maybe 16 quality teams. Without these two things happening, the Big XII will either blow up and blow away in the winds of the plains, or become a 2nd tier conference. Beebe and the rest of the Texas idiots need to wake up and smell the coffee, they are bringing down the destruction of the Big XII Conference with their own strong arm tactics.

conference champtionship, partial qualifiers, etc.

That's not accurate and you know it B-Rent. It's nothing against the University of Nebraska. Kansas and Nebraska has had close ties for many, many years. So you're saying that, as a Husker fan, you're alright with leaving a conference that your school benefited greatly from, along with ties and rivalry that started around the Civil War Days, long before our time, and your cool with what will happen to the schools that helped make you the power that you are today? I don't believe ANY of the Huskers I know are cool withg that.

I say kick Texas, Dan Beebe, and the rest of the Texas schools out and start back with the Big 8 and look elsewhere to expend to 12. Screw Texas and the money ship they came in on.

actually that is very very accurate and i know it. im not trying to be an ass but frankly every other school was looking out for themselves when they made those votes (ie. more money and texas joining the big 8) and now that Nebraska is looking out for itself, those same schools are begging us not to do it.

i love tradition but to say that we owe any other school anything is asinine and inaccurate.

if the other 7 original big 8 members can look out for numero uno then so can the member that i root for and quite simply put they should.

on top of all of that, its not a matter of IF but rather a matter of WHEN the conferences realign. this has been brewing for a while now and its going to happen either now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now or so on.

So you're saying, because your school doesn't have the most money (ie Texas), you're cool with them leaving to start fresh at a new conference? I don't think you're being an ass at all. In fact, I enjoy the discussion. Yes, any of our schools have the right to look out for numero uno, but is this really the best move for Nebraska as a University? And for the cost of long time rivals and relationships built? What makes going to the Big 10 better? Sure, they have cost sharing now, but what if that changes....will you leave again? And if Notre Dame comes to the Big 10, speculation is that Nebraska wouldn't be invited. Not much loyalty there, but then again, you're ready to leave the Big 12. Hmmmmmmm......

I think most of us feel for Kansas...we really do. But you have to admit that when the Big XII formed, Nebraska had this big bullseye painted on our backs from the other Big 8 schools. Tom Osborne also warned everybody about the powershift that would take place in the south's favor. The north teams kept voting for things that kept giving power to the south and now we are the ones that aren't loyal? Where was the loyalty of our supposed brothers in the north in some of these cases? How can we feel a sense of comraderie here when everyone was gunning to take us down back when the Big XII was forming? Plus, we all know why Kansas voted to have the Big XII Championship game in Dallas...it was so you could have the basketball tourney in KC. So who was looking out for themselves there?

It isn't even cost sharing that is the big money deal here anyways...and frankly I don't think Nebraska has ever wanted revenue sharing anyways. The big thing is from the CIC deal for R&D. That dwarfs any money we could even dream of getting from athletics.

The other point is that we didn't start this. The University said that they would listen to any offers...shoot any school will listen. Just look at Texas and how much listening they have done with other conferences. So us getting singled out is bull in my opinion. NU is just making sure they are proactive and that we are in the best position we can be in if things go down. I would expect any school to be doing the same thing, because you have to do what is best for you in certain situations.

Former KU basketball coach, Roy Williams wasn't crazy about the formation of the Big 12 by the sounds of this article.

As in any shotgun marriage, there were disagreements from the beginning.

“We got together, then we got to know each other,” Castiglione said.

But trusting one another became difficult as some decisions seemed to be made along party lines.

Commissioner: Hatchell, the commissioner of the Southwest Conference, or Kansas athletic director Bob Frederick.

League office: Dallas or Kansas City.

When Hatchell and Dallas were the choices, some of the Big Eight old guard popped off. Former Kansas basketball coach Roy Williams suggested the new league be called the “Big Texas.”

LINK

Has this been posted already?

According to a report in the Omaha World-Herald, and citing a source from an unnamed Big 12 school, representatives from the Pac-10 visited both Texas and Texas A&M two weeks ago. Before the deadline for expressing loyalty to the Big 12 was given to Nebraska and Missouri.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/07/report-pac-10-officials-visited-ut-am-before-ultimatum-was-given/

Evidence that Texas is planning to leave either way and is just playing the blame game?

According to ESPN Nebraska earned the 5th most in Big 12 revenue last year. Why the hell would we want to be a part of that if a Big Ten invite is there?

Academically and financially, it only makes sense for us to take the offer if the Big 10 gives it. The Big 12 is a mediocre conference at best in both regards.

This is simply a money thing, wheather its in sports or academics. But its been said but ill say it again. You talk about tradition, some teams weve played for 100 years. Some almost that long. Alot of people hate nebraska. Why because there good at football, so what they have the talent and train them well. You dont hear us playing the blame game over basketball. I for one have a soft spot for tradition and will be sad to see the go. I also dont like to see anyone be left out in the cold while everyone else in quote unquote better standing gets invites. But in all honestly where was that loyalty years ago. You have been obviously reading all this crap and your not a idiot you know how this stuff works. Texas runs this conference, its texas way or no way. And you and the rest of the schools have been feeding this giant over and over makeing them more powerful until they cant be contained. I know you didnt like loseing to nebraska but how does it feel to get the sh#t kicked out of you buy texas every year. At least with nebraska at the helm it might of been equal sharing so you could of got more money. This stuff, traditions will come and go. Things might fall buy the wayside but im a firm believer you reap what you sew. Nebraska wasnt looking out for themselves when they refused to kiss texas ass. You see what texas law makers are saying, they are the ones asking for the ultamatum. Why would you want this shitheap of a conference to stick around when its clearly going to hell in a hand basket. Texas doesnt care about traditions, or what the big 8 was about. They only care for themselves and T.O. saw that. But no one else would stand up with him. Sometimes i guess we need to stand alone and see what kind of a person we are. Im sure Kansas, Kansas State, and ISU will be just fine wherever they go. Make the best of what youve got and try to schedule Nebraska in the Pre Season cuz were out a here.

All this talk of tradition is sickening, tradition is dead. The Big12 killed our traditions and traditions arent the future of college football. Those making the most money is the future and I will be damned if Pearlman/T.O. allow NU to fall into the abyss with the likes of the rest of the B12 N just because of some plea's from schools whose only goal when the B12 was formed was to knee cap us. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Like the bible says "Do onto others, what you would want others to do to you" I guess the old Big8 should have listened.

rofl@OP

Despite the utterly ridiculous guilt trip trying to be laid down here, I do still feel bad for Kansas in this situation. But anyway, Nebraska will look out for itself. We don't owe you anything, nor do you owe us anything. Get over yourselves, ffs.

For Football's Sake? :)