Welcome! Some Big Ten Facts of LIfe

Ohio's far enough away from Iowa that I never really concerned myself with it before. I always thought Hayden Frye was a good coach and decent guy. Ferentz used to have my respect, but that's waned over time. Nonetheless, I think every state that touches Iowa makes fun of it.

I can agree with you there, muffler.

HaydenFox.jpg

That Dauber always cracked me up too...

Killer I hate to be that guy.....but it was Hayden Fox on Coach

Yeah, I know. I just couldn't resist though.

At the risk of pooping on the so-far-friendly banter, I do have to bring up one thing:

Big10 fans just might be the more myopic fans on the planet. The sun rises in Happy Valley, PA, and sets in Minneapolis(soon to be Lincoln). If the Big10 network is showing Indiana/Purdue, while ESPN is showing a #1 vs #2 match-up, all eyes are on Indiana/Purdue. In my 22 years up here, I've never understood how mediocrity takes precedence over excellence.

And the 'hate' isn't all that hateful. Half of western Wisconsin heads to the Twin Cities when they move out of the house, so there's a lot of neighborhood/office intermingling. Same, to perhaps a lesser extent, with Iowa.

Dear Big Ten: Roll out the red carpet for the Big Red

June 9, 2010

By Dennis Dodd

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

They're special, Jim, so be kind. In fact, a red carpet of some kind wouldn't be considered over the top.

They are the Big Red. The only Big Red that matters. Nebraska. A program that forged its reputation playing walk-ons from the state's cornfields. It was recruiting New Jersey before Rutgers had a clue. At one time, its coaches used to know California better than The Governator.

It is a national program with incredibly deep local roots so be gentle, Jim, because Nebraska football isn't a "brand" or "inventory" as you like to call the games you sell to networks. Nebraska football isn't just something to fill air time on the Big Ten Network. It is a culture. It is brawn. It is Outlands, Heismans.

It is the Great Plains version of Michigan -- with its pride still intact.

Now it's all yours, Jim. Don't mess it up. Don't make Nebraska football into ... Purdue, something lost in the haze of a 16-team conference. I'm talking to you, Jim Delany. This is on you, the Big Ten commissioner. You didn't just invite a school or a team or a program. You invited a state, its people, its past, its future, its ethic.

You invited 45 percent of Notre Dame Stadium. That's the percentage of red that showed up in the Irish's football shrine when the teams met in 2000. You invited one half of the Game of the Century. You invited those thousands of balloons that are released into the Lincoln sky after the home team's first touchdown. You invited Devaney, Osborne, Gill, Rozier, Alberts, Wistrom and Suh.

Read more:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/13501955/dear-big-ten-roll-out-the-red-carpet-for-the-big-red

This just nearly brought a tear to my eye. It's been rough living in Texas for the last 11 years of my life. No media, football fans, anyone down here have any reverence or respect for Husker football. So that's a sight for some REALLY sore eyes used to seeing burnt orange everywhere.

At the risk of pooping on the so-far-friendly banter, I do have to bring up one thing:

Big10 fans just might be the more myopic fans on the planet. The sun rises in Happy Valley, PA, and sets in Minneapolis(soon to be Lincoln). If the Big10 network is showing Indiana/Purdue, while ESPN is showing a #1 vs #2 match-up, all eyes are on Indiana/Purdue. In my 22 years up here, I've never understood how mediocrity takes precedence over excellence.

And the 'hate' isn't all that hateful. Half of western Wisconsin heads to the Twin Cities when they move out of the house, so there's a lot of neighborhood/office intermingling. Same, to perhaps a lesser extent, with Iowa.

LOL! As though a #1 v #2 happens on a weekly basis in CFB.

FWIW, the success of the BTN is evident, and it's not really something that can be argued. Furthermore, the Big Ten is also played on ABC, ESPN, and other ESPN satellites. I've caught more Big Ten games living in Oregon than I ever did in NC. You're arguing a red herring.

Big 10/11/13/15/? championship game in Brainerd?

p.s. Paul Bunyan is an inbred hick twink. LOL

I'm just messin with ya-hopefully we wait a couple years to lay 84 on you again.

:LOLtartar:LOLtartar ain't happening. not in the B10. and certainly not by nu. I mean neb, not northwestern.

those days are gone with the nineties. :rollin

LOL! As though a #1 v #2 happens on a weekly basis in CFB.

FWIW, the success of the BTN is evident, and it's not really something that can be argued. Furthermore, the Big Ten is also played on ABC, ESPN, and other ESPN satellites. I've caught more Big Ten games living in Oregon than I ever did in NC. You're arguing a red herring.

No, it doesn't happen on a weekly basis. Or top 5 match-ups in general. It's pretty rare. And that gets to my point: Big10 fans by and large(I'll put away my widest paintbrush) put regional mediocrity ahead of excellence.

No, it doesn't happen on a weekly basis. Or top 5 match-ups in general. It's pretty rare. And that gets to my point: Big10 fans by and large(I'll put away my widest paintbrush) put regional mediocrity ahead of excellence.

What the hell are you talking about? Do you care to substantiate anything that you're attempting to argue with actual facts?

Remember that sCUm now becomes scUM.

see!!!! this is the help we just don't get int he big 12

:laughpound

I live in Mi. (unfortunely) and I would have to say that scUM is definately the sCUm of the Big 10. U of M fans can't possibly be more arragant and still haven't gotten over not being able to play us back in 97. Of course according to their delusional thinking they would have won that game. We here in Husker Nation know better :horns2 !!! :)

I live in Mi. (unfortunely) and I would have to say that scUM is definately the sCUm of the Big 10. U of M fans can't possibly be more arragant and still haven't gotten over not being able to play us back in 97. Of course according to their delusional thinking they would have won that game. We here in Husker Nation know better :horns2 !!! :)

It's so interesting that the same two descriptive terms always follow a vast majority of that fan base. :lol:

What the hell are you talking about? Do you care to substantiate anything that you're attempting to argue with actual facts?

Just my 2 decades living up here.......popping into a sports bar and seeing what all the eyes are glued to.....missing a top 5 match-up at the health club because everyone is watching an utterly meaningless game....the Monday morning chatter at work.....

Same 'hard facts' as every other poster on these here internets.

Opinion. That was the word I was looking for.

It's so interesting that the same two descriptive terms always follow a vast majority of that fan base. :lol:

post-8111-127618142093.jpg

Just my 2 decades living up here.......popping into a sports bar and seeing what all the eyes are glued to.....missing a top 5 match-up at the health club because everyone is watching an utterly meaningless game....the Monday morning chatter at work.....

Same 'hard facts' as every other poster on these here internets.

Opinion. That was the word I was looking for.

Your argument is that because someone or some group in the midwest watches teams within their conference instead of some potential national marquee match-up THAT the fanbase as a whole "put regional mediocrity ahead of excellence."?

If this is the case; then I have news for you: Most regional TV Sets (public and private) carry regional games. According to your logic, when UCLA is on TV against Washington State in Oregon, I am supposed to presume that it's because the Pac Ten fan base accepts mediocrity over excellence? Instead of the ever-so-slight chance that there are certain contractual agreements to get teams on the TV sets a certain number of times a year, or that national affiliates are trumping the local sets for their coverages, or any other myriad of possibilities that exist in the world of media?

Is this really what you're arguing?