Welcome! Some Big Ten Facts of LIfe

Another fact about Ohio State. They award buckeye decals for just about anything. Pryor gets one for every randomly thrown ball. He gets 2 for every interception thrown. :)

Well, this is only because his helmet is so huge. He has to fit in.

Welcome Huskers! I am another Ohio State fan raiding your board. If you don't want to chat with inane 14 year olds and desire Ohio State conversation, by the way, go to buckeyeplanet.com.

I am very excited to have you in the Big Ten, which I am confident will happen, whatever other conference shenanigans may occur. One thing I have consistently read is that your fans are not only rabid and travel well, but that they are some of the nicest fans in the nation. We could probably use that, with drunken and abusive Wisconsin fans, arrogant Michigan fans, idiotic (but admittedly the best supporters in many ways) Penn State fans, and couch burning all of the above Ohio State fans causing too many rows. I am sure that, despite what I just said, your fans will be treated well. I have not heard anyone with a decent head on their shoulders say that they are nothing other than honored and exuberant at having you join the conference.

Here is my quick summary of Big Ten teams for you, much of which is stereotyping, and equally much of which is stereotypical for a reason:

1: Ohio State: I can't really say anything here as a biased party.

2: Michigan: Arrogant. Much less so lately. Many of them want RichRod gone, and I do too because I enjoyed the class that Michigan has had. Their fans tend to sit on their hands during games to keep them warm.

3: Wisconsin: They are great, liberally educated people by day, and they are belligerent drunkards by night. Apparently they also have a secret magical potion that turns offensive lineman and running backs into beasts.

4: Iowa: They are totally just like Ohio State and Michigan. Let them tell you.

5: Michigan State: They are our dual personality team. They'll beat any team on a given day, then go lose to a directional polytech the next. Their fans tend to be a blast. This school is famous (along with West Virginia) for taking the recruits that Michigan and Ohio State avoid for academic or behavioral issues (and not because it is a bad school). Perhaps this has some effect on the inconsistencies. . .

6: Purdue: Great offense at times. They helped bring a more spread-like feel (along with Northwestern) and attack to the big ten. I went to one game there: AVOID THE WOMEN. They are hard to recognize: you have to get close, and that is the danger. Even Purdue students recognize this.

7: Illinois: Ron Zook? Really? I guess they hate Indiana or something. I don't know. They should really have a good program, at least they have basketball. Oh wait. . .

8: Penn State: I forgot about them. They are ridiculous frat boys in behavior, and they are also the only school that can successfully engage an "insert color"-out. This is probably the hardest stadium to play in. Ohio State and Wisconsin are behind them.

9: Minnesota: I've always liked them: their teams and their fans. They just finally got their own stadium. They are expected to get much better pretty soon. Not much else to say. . .

10: Northwestern: Fitzgerald is awesome. This team may get very good very soon. Despite attending such a good school, their fans are not arrogant and are very welcoming. I felt like I was at a high school stadium there though. . . We outnumbered their fans and the biggest chants were "NERDS! NERDS!" at their less than attractive cheerleaders and "SUN! SUN!" when the sun came out because it was cold.

11: Indiana: Um. Basketball? At least they have potential. I have personal problems with Indiana. I won't go there. :)

Cheers.

(Edit: Hey there Muffler!)

And to you... :cheers

T_O_B

At the risk of pooping on the so-far-friendly banter, I do have to bring up one thing:

Big10 fans just might be the more myopic fans on the planet. The sun rises in Happy Valley, PA, and sets in Minneapolis(soon to be Lincoln). If the Big10 network is showing Indiana/Purdue, while ESPN is showing a #1 vs #2 match-up, all eyes are on Indiana/Purdue. In my 22 years up here, I've never understood how mediocrity takes precedence over excellence.

And the 'hate' isn't all that hateful. Half of western Wisconsin heads to the Twin Cities when they move out of the house, so there's a lot of neighborhood/office intermingling. Same, to perhaps a lesser extent, with Iowa.

I'm guilty of that myself. I would watch K-St/MU on FSN even if there was a 1-2 matchup on ABC. And I don't even like those two teams. It's the conference/regional thing I guess. Really, I just have to look at myself and laugh.

Finally! I've always wanted to see Nebraska play us in the Big House on a late November Saturday. I look forward to seeing what the Big Ten Network will show on you guys. Anything but that 2005 Alamo Bowl and your game vs Mizzou in 97 of course.

I still have family in San Antone and went down for Christmas that year. Had to go to the bowl game, y'know. Other than the crazy finish, two memories stand out for me. One is the Michigan band saluting the Husker fans in the end zone seating, which is where I was. I thought that was very classy. The other is this; my niece had just graduated from Converse Judson high school. Judson's color is red. I've seen their stadium, it's bigger than any high school field I've ever seen. It's as big as Caniglia Field here in Omaha (edit: could be wrong, but it's big and holds a lot of red-clad people), which is where UNO plays. So I asked her, have you ever seen this much red. Her answer: Um, yeah.

Of course, Judson's own Titus Brothers assisted Zack Bowman on the game saving tackle. That was cool.

but Hawkeye fans (not their team) are the Worlds worst winners

as well as losers. They are pompous, obnoxious, and you will soon dislike them as much as we do.

and they wear black & yellow (sorta goldish) and they a border state...

Folks, I think we may have just replaced Colorado.

but likely without the part where they throw projectiles at anything dressed in Red.

Kind of disapointed if that's true about Wisky fans though (Badgers, defend yourselves here!) I'm still hoping that develops a friendliness to it like we had with OU.