Not so fast....

huKSer

Well, assuming a decent TV does arrive and the Northern Big 12-2 teams get a decent cut albeit less than UT, OU, ATM, what kind of dollars would it be worth for those teams to seek out membership in another conference? Sure it stinks that they are at a severe disadvantage as far as bargaining and power, but what kind of a pay cut is it worth?

As a hypothetical, let's assume that KU, KSU, Iowa State, and Mizzou decide to join the Mountain West and it is granted BCS conference status. While those four schools are given significant bargaining leverage within their league, let's say they make $3-5 million less per year from TV $ and conference revenue sharing, and they are perceived as a lesser conference because they lack a traditional football power school (aside from Boise State/TCU which are very tough sells). Is it worth it to get out of the Texas shadow?

I think it's an interesting question, and I can see both sides. I guess the answer depends on what a school can do with heightened power within its conference, and what rewards can be gained from that status (for example gate revenues may go up thanks to winning seasons (which is always a gamble to bet on) and donations could be affected. In any case I don't envy the position of those Northern schools. They have some serious calls to make.

Equate Texas to the power hungry boss always looking for better opportunities and the little 5 as his assistants. Sure, I would be all smiles and ass kisses while I get the boss a cup of hot coffee, but when he's not looking I'm going to be updating my resume and checking Monster and Careerbuilder. If I found a more stable job with slightly less pay, you bet I'm gonna bolt.

Well, assuming a decent TV does arrive and the Northern Big 12-2 teams get a decent cut albeit less than UT, OU, ATM, what kind of dollars would it be worth for those teams to seek out membership in another conference? Sure it stinks that they are at a severe disadvantage as far as bargaining and power, but what kind of a pay cut is it worth?

As a hypothetical, let's assume that KU, KSU, Iowa State, and Mizzou decide to join the Mountain West and it is granted BCS conference status. While those four schools are given significant bargaining leverage within their league, let's say they make $3-5 million less per year from TV $ and conference revenue sharing, and they are perceived as a lesser conference because they lack a traditional football power school (aside from Boise State/TCU which are very tough sells). Is it worth it to get out of the Texas shadow?

I think it's an interesting question, and I can see both sides. I guess the answer depends on what a school can do with heightened power within its conference, and what rewards can be gained from that status (for example gate revenues may go up thanks to winning seasons (which is always a gamble to bet on) and donations could be affected. In any case I don't envy the position of those Northern schools. They have some serious calls to make.

Equate Texas to the power hungry boss always looking for better opportunities and the little 5 as his assistants. Sure, I would be all smiles and ass kisses while I get the boss a cup of hot coffee, but when he's not looking I'm going to be updating my resume and checking Monster and Careerbuilder. If I found a more stable job with slightly less pay, you bet I'm gonna bolt.

good analogy...get someone important on the line

If they really take and just hand over all their money to Texas, it just proves that they are nobodies. They need to grow some kahunas and stand up for themselves, otherwise they will be Texass' lap dogs until the Big 12 finally collapses (which may be coming soon IMHO).

I think you nailed. My old boss told me that everyone is a prostitute. The only difference is that some have a higher price than others. It reminds me of a friend and a job he once had. He worked in a lab of a family owned company. The business ran three eight hour shifts. After working there a decade or so, the family sold the company to a large publicly traded company. The first thing the big company did was go to two twelve hour shifts which really doesn't sound so bad. However, they made these twelve hour shifts rotating meaning that every two weeks the night and day shifts switched. He did this for a while but finally quit. He told me that everyone else even though they hated it were staying because they were so entrenched living pay check to pay check that they couldn't afford to lose this job as it was one of the top paying jobs around. My guess is that the big company did this just because they could. It made no sense from a production standpoint to have people rotating between days and nights all the time. The moral of the story is that people will endure a lot of crap if the money's good. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with why Texas was able to pull off what they did. As long as they keep the money flowing to these other schools, the Big 12 will remain!

The moral of the story is that people will endure a lot of crap if the money's good. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with why Texas was able to pull off what they did. As long as they keep the money flowing to these other schools, the Big 12 will remain!

:yeah

Absolutely. There are too mamy people (everywhere) taking too much of this stuff personally. People, it's all about the money. If the Big 8 leftovers decide it's a bad deal, then I'd bet they'll have another choice in about five years, or whenever the current TV contracts expire.

KC talk radio 810 - didn't hear the segments, just the program summary at the end of the guy's show - MU and KSU administrators might be having second thoughts about the terms of the Big 12 v 2.0?

If you hear anything more let us know. I hadn't heard anything about it. Sounds like there's trouble in paradise...

What I'm waiting to see is what the con's tv-deal will actually be. Can Beebe deliver even though the biggest name team(s)don't have to commit their media-rights to the con? My bet is that the Mizzou, ISU, Bay, etc come out with earnings significantly less than what teams in other BCS cons get. Texas, OU, and ATM will be fine.

KC talk radio 810 - didn't hear the segments, just the program summary at the end of the guy's show - MU and KSU administrators might be having second thoughts about the terms of the Big 12 v 2.0?

If you hear anything more let us know. I hadn't heard anything about it. Sounds like there's trouble in paradise...

Haven't heard much lately.

I think it was after the ecstacy of jumping up and down shouting "We aren't going to the MW, we aren't going to the Big East, we aren't going to the Sunbelt!!!", to sitting down, looking at the deal and saying "Hmm, this isn't a very good deal for us" to now "Well, it has bought us some time so we can sneak around to find a better deal like Texas did, and hey, KC still has the basketball tourney" Locally they were really sweating the last: just built the Sprint Center and Power & Light, and wondering how they were going to turn a profit without the tourney