Making the Horseshoe

I've ordered two shoes that are nearly identical to THE SHOE. They're coming from a farrier in Michigan, the same one HuskerJock used, in fact. I searched online and their name kept popping up, so they were the ones I called.

Post a picture as soon as you get yours. The horseshoe is huge and in my opinion worth the money. I'm thinking about ordering two more for my brother and my father. Glad that you went with the same company that I went with, they do pretty good work and are very professional.

How long did it take to get yours? I ordered mine almost two weeks ago, and the way the lady talked, they were going to make them and ship them right away. I'm getting close to calling them for an update.

I sent them an e-mail on 3/23 and they replied back with their number so I called them up on the 24th and talked to that lady. I got an e-mail of the actually horseshoe on 4/29 and told them that it looked good. I ended up getting the horseshoe on 5/5.

So looks like it'll be longer than 2 weeks especially if they're making 2 for ya and it took them about 6-7 weeks till I got mine in the mail from the time I requested the horseshoe to the time I was actually holding it.

Bummer. But then, I don't have the astroturf yet, either. I went to Carpetland here in Lincoln and when I told them what I needed the turf for, they said they'd just give me a remnant the next time they got one. Which was cool. But they haven't called with a remnant yet, so I'm on hold there, too.

So all I have to do is get a board that's of similar dimension and some sort of frame, probably an el-cheapo from Target or Wal-mart. I'm not going to have a custom-made frame done. I'm guessing someone from UNL made that thing in their metal shop. It doesn't look off-the-shelf.

Mine is still a work in progress. I have the horseshoe painted and mounted to the board...just no frame yet.

Maudy, when you painted yours, did you chip some of the paint off and scuff it up or did you just leave it white? I'm planning on scuffing mine, for that "genuine" look.

Also, where did you get your shoe?

I got my horseshoe from a local western store, but it's not the exact horseshoe we have. It's very similar, but a little smaller. As far as the paint goes, I rubbed the blunt end of a hammer up against the shoe and gave it that "broke in" look.

My horseshoe isn't EXACT, as far as the dimensions go, but it's pretty close. I like the way it's looking right now....when I finish it I'll post pictures.

Yeah, mine isn't going to be "exact," either. If they make me the same thing they made Jock, it'll have five nail holes to the real one's four, and the ridges and grooves are off a bit, but it's pretty close overall.

Even though it's not an exact replica, I think it's going to be freakin' awesome to have, and I don't know why it didn't occur to me to make it before this, as easy as it is.

What are you planning on using for a frame? Do you have anything picked out?

buy a horse shoe

Has anyone considered just buying this instead? $50 and it is not "exact" either but at last you wont have to wait 6 weeks.

That's what I was referring to earlier in the thread. That thing is only considered a "replica" because it has a horseshoe framed on a piece of astroturf.

I'd make my own too, but I'm just waaay to lazy for that

buy a horse shoe

Has anyone considered just buying this instead? $50 and it is not "exact" either but at last you wont have to wait 6 weeks.

Absolutely not. Why would I? I'll make two of them for the cost of that thing, plus that "replica" appears to be plastic and about half the size of the real thing.

I'd pay 50 bucks for one that you made before I'd buy one of the replicas

buy a horse shoe

Absolutely not. Why would I? I'll make two of them for the cost of that thing, plus that "replica" appears to be plastic and about half the size of the real thing.

:yeah

That thing is pretty cheesy and a heart breaker when I first saw it in the store. Maybe my dog would want this on his dog house though....its the perfect size.

buy a horse shoe

I'd pay 50 bucks for one that you made before I'd buy one of the replicas

I could start a cottage industry. :)

EDIT - and I should add that I'm not particularly handy when it comes to the crafting of things. This is not a skill that I feel I have, but I know for a fact that I can staple some astroturf to a board, tack on the shoe, and put a frame around it. As home projects go this lies somewhere between painting your trim and replacing the seal under your toilet. Pretty easy-schmeasy stuff.

I like the metal frame better, but the one in the store for $50 probably has a more identical horse shoe than one you can find/buy. I also like the name plate explaining what it is, if that is worth anything.

The one you can buy is 1/2 the size and made of plastic. You don't want that.

Remember, this is the shoe Jock got for his wedding, and I've ordered two more just like it:

brettsphotos001.jpg

This isn't exactly like the Husker Horseshoe, but it's pretty darned close, and a far sight closer than anything else you can get.

• 2 weeks later...