Sarah Palin - The New Dan Quayle?

Sarah Palin 'refudiates' critics

NEW YORK (AFP) – Sarah Palin raised linguists' eyebrows this weekend when she urged Muslims to "refudiate" a controversial mosque -- then defended her garbled English as Shakespearean.

The darling of the Republican right and possible 2012 White House candidate coined the word Sunday in a Tweet criticizing plans for a mosque at Ground Zero in New York.

At first Palin appeared embarrassed, deleting the message on her Twitter page and replacing it with a call for Muslims to "refute" the plan, this time using a real word, but questionable grammar.

Her next update returned to "refudiate" and now proudly proclaimed Palin as heir both to literary genius William Shakespeare and Republican ex-president George W. Bush, famous for his repeated howlers, such as "misunderestimate."

"'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language," Palin Tweeted. "Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!"

captphoto_1279550752722-1-0.jpg

I posted this exact thing on another forum, and the answer I got was:

Palin defended us Americans by speaking her mind.

Sarah Palin. Defender of America.

:facepalm:

By "defended", I think he meant "embarrassed". How freaking hard is it to get a commander in chief who can speak English properly? What is this making up words nonsense? "Got to celebrate it?" as a defense for not being able to express an intelligent thought?

I give credit to Obama for that - he's a well-polished guy.

By "defended", I think he meant "embarrassed". How freaking hard is it to get a commander in chief who can speak English properly? What is this making up words nonsense? "Got to celebrate it?" as a defense for not being able to express an intelligent thought?

Thanks to the teleprompter. Have you ever heard him speak without it? It's frightening. The left would KILL any Republican that has his skillset (or lack thereof) when speaking.

Thanks to the teleprompter. Have you ever heard him speak without it? It's frightening. The left would KILL any Republican that has his skillset (or lack thereof) when speaking.

This is a typical character assassination you hear from "the other side" when the OTHER other side is in power. If you believe Obama can't speak without a teleprompter you probably believe Dick Cheney was really running the whole show and Bush was a figurehead, or some other such nonsense propaganda the Left was putting out when Bush was president. It's all bunk.

This is a typical character assassination you hear from "the other side" when the OTHER other side is in power. If you believe Obama can't speak without a teleprompter you probably believe Dick Cheney was really running the whole show and Bush was a figurehead, or some other such nonsense propaganda the Left was putting out when Bush was president. It's all bunk.

While some of that is true, I have heard Obama speak without the teleprompter, and he is not as fluid, eloquent, or articulate as he is when he has the teleprompter.

Oh, I think Obama can speak okay without the teleprompter -- maybe not quite as smooth. But like 90 percent or more of politicians, I just don't trust the guy. He's all politician like the rest. That includes right, middle, left, north, south, east, west, up, down ...

While some of that is true, I have heard Obama speak without the teleprompter, and he is not as fluid, eloquent, or articulate as he is when he has the teleprompter.

Neither was Reagan. Neither was Clinton. Bringing this up doesn't prove anything other than the fact that, like most public speakers, Obama doesn't do as well off script. You're making no point here, but you're repeating a typical hack job against the Democrat president that you'll hear from the Right. Google "Obama without teleprompter" and look at the number of hits you get.

Free your mind from partisan politics and realize it's not about which party you support, it's about you and me, regular joes, who are getting screwed by the Obamas and the Palins and the Bush's and the Clintons. There's no point in all of this.

The thing is, 'refute' does not constitute poor grammar. It's a verb in the same tense, mood, person, etc as 'repudiate.' Maybe the writers of the article meant "still the wrong word." They should get more on top of their own English before criticizing someone else's.

I do think Palin was joking about the 'living language' thing though...er...I hope. For "all intensive purposes", she wasn't coining words, she just made a stupid mistake.

As well polished as.... 57 states? Says breathalyzer instead of inhaler. The cops acted stupidly. I could go on and on with the Obamateurisms but what's the point? This is such a non-story.