QB race

Well I personally will take an unproven martinez over cody green and zach lee

If a redshirt freshmen with no game experience is our starting QB we will not meet any expectations that we have for this season.

1. Zac Lee

2. Cody Green

3. Taylor Martinez

Why??

I just don't get this mindset. What is it about Lee that makes him impossible to be beat? He was a lousy qb on a lousy offense last year. Especially after the SunBelt teams.

So if Martinez beats a lousy qb the season is in the toilet?? I would think just the opposite.

Maybe Lee will be great this year. Who knows? But it's not like Green/Martinez have to beat out a Crouch/Frazier/Frost.

It is uneducated posts like this that anger me. It has been hard for me to remain reserved when people rag on Zac Lee. :bangdedhoarse I was one that was calling for Cody Green in the middle of the year. I felt very bad when I learned the position that Zac Lee was actually in.

HE HAD A SERIOUS INJURY IN HIS THROWING ARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF A PITCHER HAD TO HAVE AN OPERATION ON HIS THROWING ARM WOULD YOU EXPECT HIM TO WIN THE CY YOUNG???????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (turn off Dan Gilbert mode) I just dont see what people dont understand about that.

I am not going to make the claim that Zac is one of the greatest QBs that we have ever had, he might not even be the best out of Ganz and Taylor. But he certainly isnt terrible and he will make a lot of Husker fans eat some crow this year. Zac Lee should be praised for the immense about of crap he took about his play and he has never once blamed it on his injury. He is 100% and he is going to be better this year. He will give us our best chance to win. Martinez is far behind the two in terms of being a quarterback. If Martinez is our starting quarterback we will not win the Big 12.

Hey, I'm not trying to piss you off. I just don't see Lee as a playmaker. That's all.

As far as his "serious" injury, why then did he have his best game vs Arizona? With his "serious" injury, shouldn't that have been his worst game?

Anyhow, if he's our starter and excels I'll most gladly eat boatloads of crow.

• Fire 1

Gotta believe there's no way Lee isn't the starter if healthy. I really do like both Green and Martinez, and I think they could both be very good in certain situations. I do not think that this is the situation for either of them, although we will see what happens when the WKU game comes around. I really am excited to see the QBs in live action, because each one brings a unique skill set to the table for this offense.

Lee is our best passer, with okay running ability.

Martinez is our best runner, with okay passing skills.

Green possesses the best combo of the two, being better than Martinez at passing and better than Lee at running.

Personally, I'd like to see Green take over, but he'll have to make some serious strides in fall camp for that to happen. It's going to be Lee's job to lose, IMO.

Well I personally will take an unproven martinez over cody green and zach lee

If a redshirt freshmen with no game experience is our starting QB we will not meet any expectations that we have for this season.

1. Zac Lee

2. Cody Green

3. Taylor Martinez

Why??

I just don't get this mindset. What is it about Lee that makes him impossible to be beat? He was a lousy qb on a lousy offense last year. Especially after the SunBelt teams.

So if Martinez beats a lousy qb the season is in the toilet?? I would think just the opposite.

Maybe Lee will be great this year. Who knows? But it's not like Green/Martinez have to beat out a Crouch/Frazier/Frost.

It is uneducated posts like this that anger me. It has been hard for me to remain reserved when people rag on Zac Lee. :bangdedhoarse I was one that was calling for Cody Green in the middle of the year. I felt very bad when I learned the position that Zac Lee was actually in.

HE HAD A SERIOUS INJURY IN HIS THROWING ARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF A PITCHER HAD TO HAVE AN OPERATION ON HIS THROWING ARM WOULD YOU EXPECT HIM TO WIN THE CY YOUNG???????? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (turn off Dan Gilbert mode) I just dont see what people dont understand about that.

I am not going to make the claim that Zac is one of the greatest QBs that we have ever had, he might not even be the best out of Ganz and Taylor. But he certainly isnt terrible and he will make a lot of Husker fans eat some crow this year. Zac Lee should be praised for the immense about of crap he took about his play and he has never once blamed it on his injury. He is 100% and he is going to be better this year. He will give us our best chance to win. Martinez is far behind the two in terms of being a quarterback. If Martinez is our starting quarterback we will not win the Big 12.

Hey, I'm not trying to piss you off. I just don't see Lee as a playmaker. That's all.

As far as his "serious" injury, why then did he have his best game vs Arizona? With his "serious" injury, shouldn't that have been his worst game?

Anyhow, if he's our starter and excels I'll most gladly eat boatloads of crow.

He went 13-23 for 175 yards one coming on that pass to Niles Paul where the DB fell down. His accuracy was off, he threw behind recievers, etc. I'm not saying he played bad that game because he didnt. But once you found out he was hindered by a ligament tear in his elbow equivilent to tearing your ACL in your knee, it made a lot of sense why he didnt have any arm-strength or accuracy.

I am defending Lee and giving him the benefit of the doubt. But it truely is time for him to either show us that it was all the injury's fault last year, or get out of the way and give someone else a chance. I fully expect a much improved Zac Lee to be our starting QB. Would be shocked if he was not our starter come WKU.

I kind of believe the back room deal because I don't think Callahan was that stupid not to recognize that Ganz could be a better player. Keller couldn't accurately throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field and had no mobility at all and that had to show up some even in practice. Who knows how bad Keller would have done had it not been for Lucky.

Keller completed 63% of his passes, and was more known for his ability to push the ball down the field than anything else. Keller gave us more of a vertical threat in the passing game than we have ever had.

Even more - Ganz on average passed more to Lucky than Keller did as well. Lucky caught 20 passes in the last 3 games, while he caught 55 in the first 9 games. So to say Keller was simply checking down is not true. It's simply that Lucky was that good of a receiver and was used quite often in our offense that year. Really should have been used more out wide in his career, because he was one of our better pass catchers.

Again, Ganz was a poor practice player, even against our defense.

I know it's easy to say it was a conspiracy. But if it were, I would be the first to stand up and say it. I don't really hold back in my criticisms, if you haven't noticed. :)

I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch. For a defensive coach to be worth his salt, he has to know a lot about offenses in order to shut it down. In order for an offensive coach to be worth his salt, he has to know a lot about defenses in order to pick it apart. We can armchair all we want, but in the end we have to have faith in our coaches to put the best player on the field that gives us the best chance to win. I'm throwing last year out the window. A QB can be great only to look mediocre when playing behind a subpar OL. Last year, we had a subpar OL. A QB can be mediocre and look great playing behind a great OL. I highly doubt anyone would say Matt Turman was a great QB, but he did okay playing behind the OL we had in the mid-90's. If our OL picks up the pace, I don't think it really matters who the starting QB is.

I kind of believe the back room deal because I don't think Callahan was that stupid not to recognize that Ganz could be a better player. Keller couldn't accurately throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field and had no mobility at all and that had to show up some even in practice. Who knows how bad Keller would have done had it not been for Lucky.

Keller completed 63% of his passes, and was more known for his ability to push the ball down the field than anything else. Keller gave us more of a vertical threat in the passing game than we have ever had.

Even more - Ganz on average passed more to Lucky than Keller did as well. Lucky caught 20 passes in the last 3 games, while he caught 55 in the first 9 games. So to say Keller was simply checking down is not true. It's simply that Lucky was that good of a receiver and was used quite often in our offense that year. Really should have been used more out wide in his career, because he was one of our better pass catchers.

I know it's easy to say it was a conspiracy. But if it were, I would be the first to stand up and say it. I don't really hold back in my criticisms, if you haven't noticed. :)

Keller really was checking it down most of the time though. I think Lucky's increased numbers with Ganz in those 3 games were due to him becoming a focal point of our offense that season due to Keller. He only had 26 catches with Ganz the entire next season. Also Ganz was a much more vertical threat then Keller and that's why Purify got half of his yards and 2/3 of his touchdowns in the three games Ganz started. Even if Ganz was somewhat of a poor practice player either Callahan majorly messed up or there was a back room deal. I guess we can at least thank Keller for giving us Bo Pelini because had Ganz started all year Callahan would have gotten at least one more year.

Keller really was checking it down most of the time though. I think Lucky's increased numbers with Ganz in those 3 games were due to him becoming a focal point of our offense that season due to Keller. He only had 26 catches with Ganz the entire next season. Also Ganz was a much more vertical threat then Keller and that's why Purify got half of his yards and 2/3 of his touchdowns in the three games Ganz started. Even if Ganz was somewhat of a poor practice player either Callahan majorly messed up or there was a back room deal. I guess we can at least thank Keller for giving us Bo Pelini because had Ganz started all year Callahan would have gotten at least one more year.

Lucky was hurt the next year, we had a new head coach with different philosophies and being a vertical threat has nothing to do Purify's TD's. Ganz just knew where to go with the ball in the red zone. The increased numbers to Lucky would probably be due to the fact that we threw the ball more the last 3 games of the year. Ganz did not have great arm strength, which should have been noticeable during the season he was the full time starter.

Here's Zac Lee's problem. He still plays like a High School quarterback. In HS, what are QBs taught to do? Throw the ball to the open receiver. There's always going to be someone open, you just have to find him and hit him. Zac can do that. He needs to develop into a collegiate QB by seeing which receivers WILL BE open by the time the ball gets there, not to mention making an accurate throw. Here's to hoping his time spent mending his shoulder was in the video room.

Now you are just twisting in the wind trying to make a point. :P

Lucky was a focal point in our passing game simply because he was a great receiver. He was great at setting up screens, a great route runner, and had great hands. If Lucky had any hint of speed or quickness, he would at least be a VERY good 3rd down RB in the NFL. In all honesty, he should almost be converted to WR where his limited speed/quickness wouldn't be as glaring due to his route running ability.

Ganz was more a vertical threat than Keller? Ganz had a noodle for an arm, which is the exactly reason he had no NFL future. Ganz was able to be a very good college QB due to his ability to read a defense, and all around smarts on the field. In all reality, if Ganz had real arm strength, our offense would have had another real option to spread defenses.

Mo didn't bring a vertical threat to this offense either. Mo was just a good route runner with a big body who was able to out-muscle college CBs. Also cannot forget his ability to take a short catch, break a tackle, and turn it into a good gain constantly.

Our offense in the last 3 games of that '07 season was a complete overhaul a well. We may as well have been Texas Tech in those last games. 50, 48, 58. I mean, Ganz threw the ball on average 49 times in each of those last 3 games. Not only that, but we went predominantly out of the shotgun, and almost forgot our WCO philosophy.

Heck, Keller threw the ball 325 times in 9 starts. Ganz threw the ball 148 times in only 3 starts. Put that over a 9 game stretch and Ganz would have thrown the ball 444 times. :blink:

Lucky was hurt nearly his entire senior season, and had to share the workload as a result. His junior season he was able to rack up 200+ carries, while no one else got more than 80 carries. In his senior season, we had 3 RBs with 100+ carries, and no one had more than 130 carries. Even Ganz nearly had 100 carries.

Again, you can think there was some sort of conspiracy if you want. However, people that know more than I have said for years that Callahan promised Keller nothing. And after all that has transpired with both of those guys, I doubt they would stick to that story, unless it was true.

• Fire 1

As far as this topic goes, ehm ehm...

I agree with what Knapplc said in the beginning of the thread.

I often relate this quarterback situation (and it's fallacies) to the way Cotton talks about the offensive line. I don't like hearing that we have "nine or ten guys" that could rotate out and play positions on the offensive line. I prefer to hear that we have five guys who are our definite starters and then we have 5 capable back ups.

It makes me feel better to know that there are 5 guys who are taking charge rather than hearing 10 guys could be filtered in and out.

Same with the quarterback situation.

I prefer to hear that one guy is definitely our guy rather than hearing three guys could fight for the job through the non-con.

It would be better to find our guy early and then expand on his capabilities. The coaches need to do the best job they can in making sure this is decided early.

Now you are just twisting in the wind trying to make a point. :P

Lucky was a focal point in our passing game simply because he was a great receiver. He was great at setting up screens, a great route runner, and had great hands. If Lucky had any hint of speed or quickness, he would at least be a VERY good 3rd down RB in the NFL. In all honesty, he should almost be converted to WR where his limited speed/quickness wouldn't be as glaring due to his route running ability.

Ganz was more a vertical threat than Keller? Ganz had a noodle for an arm, which is the exactly reason he had no NFL future. Ganz was able to be a very good college QB due to his ability to read a defense, and all around smarts on the field. In all reality, if Ganz had real arm strength, our offense would have had another real option to spread defenses.

Mo didn't bring a vertical threat to this offense either. Mo was just a good route runner with a big body who was able to out-muscle college CBs. Also cannot forget his ability to take a short catch, break a tackle, and turn it into a good gain constantly.

Our offense in the last 3 games of that '07 season was a complete overhaul a well. We may as well have been Texas Tech in those last games. 50, 48, 58. I mean, Ganz threw the ball on average 49 times in each of those last 3 games. Not only that, but we went predominantly out of the shotgun, and almost forgot our WCO philosophy.

Heck, Keller threw the ball 325 times in 9 starts. Ganz threw the ball 148 times in only 3 starts. Put that over a 9 game stretch and Ganz would have thrown the ball 444 times. :blink:

Lucky was hurt nearly his entire senior season, and had to share the workload as a result. His junior season he was able to rack up 200+ carries, while no one else got more than 80 carries. In his senior season, we had 3 RBs with 100+ carries, and no one had more than 130 carries. Even Ganz nearly had 100 carries.

Again, you can think there was some sort of conspiracy if you want. However, people that know more than I have said for years that Callahan promised Keller nothing. And after all that has transpired with both of those guys, I doubt they would stick to that story, unless it was true.

You're probably right but I just would have thought that they would have noticed that Ganz was the better QB. I agree Keller had the stronger arm but during the games he really didn't use that arm strength to his advantage and that's why he averaged less yards per attempt than Ganz. Ganz also had a big advantage with his mobility which allowed him to make plays outside the pocket or tuck it in run if nothing was there. Callahan probably goofed on Ganz but the under the table deal thing sounds very believable especially with a guy like Keller who sues video games for putting his name in it :facepalm:

especially with a guy like Keller who sues video games for putting his name in it :facepalm:

Keller's lawsuit is based on the fact that EA uses the exact specifications of players but redacts the names in order to say they aren't breaking any rules.

I agree with Keller's lawsuit.

Anybody who watches college sports and has been keeping up with this agent fiasco knows that student athletes are often exploited for their abilities and don't see a single penny for what they do. EA and the NCAA hide behind the "student athlete" curtain in order to extract millions in revenue every year from the games.

If they are found guilty or admit to what Keller is claiming, then they can no longer make the games without the players consent and paying the players for it. But, that directly violates NCAA laws stating that players cannot receive any type of financial benefit (not related to their scholarships) while they are students.

I'm with Keller/the athlete on this one. Could it mean the eventual (and possibly indefinite) end of NCAA games? Yes. But, at least in my opinion, it is the right thing to do for the players.

especially with a guy like Keller who sues video games for putting his name in it :facepalm:

Keller's lawsuit is based on the fact that EA uses the exact specifications of players but redacts the names in order to say they aren't breaking any rules.

I agree with Keller's lawsuit.

Anybody who watches college sports and has been keeping up with this agent fiasco knows that student athletes are often exploited for their abilities and don't see a single penny for what they do. EA and the NCAA hide behind the "student athlete" curtain in order to extract millions in revenue every year from the games.

If they are found guilty or admit to what Keller is claiming, then they can no longer make the games without the players consent and paying the players for it. But, that directly violates NCAA laws stating that players cannot receive any type of financial benefit (not related to their scholarships) while they are students.

I'm with Keller/the athlete on this one. Could it mean the eventual (and possibly indefinite) end of NCAA games? Yes. But, at least in my opinion, it is the right thing to do for the players.

:yeah

i don't like what it would do to the franchise but keller is right