The 1997 National Championship Discussion Thread

"In anticipation to the kick-off of the college football season, we take a look back at past college football moments and how they impacted the face of the sport. Vote now and tune into College Football Live, Monday-Friday at 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN for our experts take!"

They pose this question:

"Which team would have won had Michigan played Nebraska in 1997?"

Even though :espnsucks: , click the link below anyway:

Vote Here

In case you're not sure, the correct answer is :bigredn:

It would have been a great game. Michigan had a great defense that year, and Nebraska had the best offense/offensive line in the nation. But, Michigan's offense was nowhere near as explosive or powerful as ours and we had a pretty good defense that year in our own right.

Why is Flutie's hail mary always better than Stewart's? I understand it was against Miami, but Stewart threw that ball almost 80 yards.

My guess is that it's because

1. It sealed the Heisman for Flutie

2. It was a wild, back and forth game that truly was a "last team to have the ball wins" game. Not really a better played game, but certainly a more fun game to watch for most people.

3. against the defending national champs

4. Bigger audience on an end of the season Thanksgiving weekend game vs. an early fall matchup.

5. At 5'9 or whatever he is, Flutie seems more popular as an underdog. And I hate to bring this up, but the cynical realist in me says that it might be because he is white.

Hail Mary passes should earn the QB next to no credit, yet they're the hero for throwing them. Most every D1A QB can throw a ball 50 yards into the end zone, so it's not like doing so is heroic or special in any way.

If anyone gets any credit, it should be the WR who goes down there, fights the crowd of DBs and his own teammates and ends up with the ball. That's the real skill, but for some reason everyone focuses on the QB. Dumb.