Suh's holdout

zoogs

I think this is a perfect example of how agents can corrupt the sport. Take a guy who donates over 2.5 million dollars of his endorsment contracts to his school (showing his lack of greed) is now holding out. Makes me wonder about previous hold outs, I wish the negotions would happen between a teams gm and a player agents only complicate the process and tarnish the sport.

• Fire 1

It's all part of the game that the agents and teams play. Lowball offer #1, highball counteroffer, blah blah blah. You'd have to pay me $40 mil to live in that sh!thole too! I'd actually want to get traded to any place besides that dump. Let's be real here, it's the worst place in the entire US. I can only imagine the F bombs that were flying when he found out he was going to Detroit.

Tell us how you really feel.

Personally I think their should be a rookie pay scale wage in the NFL. It bugs me that players get signed for millions upon millions, yet havent even played a down in the NFL.

Would this be for one year only, then negotiate? Would you still be tied to the team that drafted you?

This might help with predator agents on campus, set pay for first year = less need for an agent, (except for selling Jesus underwear)

I'd bet his agent has something to do with this too. Same thing with Tebow here in Denver. 'Tebow' wanted more money than the guy who was picked ahead of him. Tebow signed, (ughhh-I was hoping for a hold out). Suh will too. Let's not past judgement. Suh is still a good person.

Gerald McCoy got 63 million for 5 years. Suh is some much better. Bradford got 78 million for 6 years.

86 million with incentives. SUH's contract should be between these two. I still say 5 years at approx 70 million.

It's all part of the game that the agents and teams play. Lowball offer #1, highball counteroffer, blah blah blah. You'd have to pay me $40 mil to live in that sh!thole too! I'd actually want to get traded to any place besides that dump. Let's be real here, it's the worst place in the entire US. I can only imagine the F bombs that were flying when he found out he was going to Detroit.

Tell us how you really feel.

What part don't you agree with? It's the butthole of the US.

There's a rumor floating around that he wants more money than Sam Bradford but I'm gonna dismiss that as pure speculation. Considering I saw it on Bleacher Report, I'm not even sure calling it a 'lie' would do it justice.

Interesting article HERE.

Suh's agent says the "more $ than Bradford" rumor is BS.

The only public development in Suh's holdout came on his Twitter account. During Detroit's afternoon practice, it was updated with a reference to a Biblical verse: John 7-24.

"Judge not by with appearances, but judge with the right judgement," the tweet read in a possible reference to criticism he has received for holding out.

I think/hope he made enough of an impression with teammates that they know he wants to be there and they understand how these things work. But this will look really bad if he misses more than a week.

IMO even a short holdout won't help the reputation of his agents. They already looked like jerks from the Crabtree thing but now, they have a holdout from a guy who promised he'd be in camp on time...

Well, that is a relief.

However, Suh, IMO, should know better than to tell people not to judge him. As the #2 pick in the draft, he's going to get judged. He made promises that he, it turns out, could not keep. So the best thing he can do right now is keep his mouth shut and realize that the criticism and the prima donna calls are, while possibly unfair, things that just come with the territory.

It's good for him, I think, as he's been getting used to getting lots of love everywhere. About time that ended. A little kick in the butt could be all he needs to jumpstart a NFL career. The sooner he stops expecting to not get hate the better.

I think this is a perfect example of how agents can corrupt the sport. Take a guy who donates over 2.5 million dollars of his endorsment contracts to his school (showing his lack of greed) is now holding out. Makes me wonder about previous hold outs, I wish the negotions would happen between a teams gm and a player agents only complicate the process and tarnish the sport.

True..

But it's probably a nessesary evil.

You need to place a "buffer" on "direct" hard feelings between the player and owners/team's fans.

An agent is more free to mention things like Detroit being the "butthole of the nation" without it being directly linked to the player, and the owner can tell the agent that the player will probably only have a couple of good years or may have difficulty being coached or have off field issues without directly insulting the player.

For many players, this will be their last meaningful employment.

Get a$ much a$ you can while you can.

The trouble with picks like Suh is he was regarded by most as the top player overall in the draft, but wasn't selected first due to a roster need by the #1 team. So, I'm sure his agent is working that angle and doesn't want to be slotted behind a guy that his client was better than. It happens with at least one player every year. Suh will get to camp soon and I'm sure he's not going to show up out of shape like some do when they hold out.

• Fire 1

I won't copy/paste it because it's "Insider" content on ESPN, but it didn't sound like the Lions' coach was real concerned about it. He said the domino that needed to fall was Bradford's contract and that Suh's would come shortly thereafter. I bet he signs today or tomorrow for like $42M guaranteed.

ESPN first take is reporting that Suh is not holding out for more money than Bradford, but rather he wants more money than Lions QB Matt Stafford. They where basically using him as an example to preface their arguments over a rookie wage scale. I guess the media is going to keep throwing crap at the wall to see what will stick. :facepalm:

It's awkward to pay some rookie DT more money than your franchise QB. What a strange locker room dynamic! Hopefully Suh doesn't think he's top gun just because he got drafted a year later and a few spots earlier.

But I think Suh probably also lost some of his leverage by promising he'd be at training camp on time. He's the one who looks bad the longer this goes on, and the team knows that. Mistake by Suh, IMO, on many levels. Probably made negotiating a lot more difficult.