Suh's holdout

zoogs

You can tell it's been a long, long time since we've had a player drafted this high. People seem to have no idea how often situations like this occur. Suh's contract negotiations aren't any different than those of most other top draft picks over the last several years. Everyone just needs to calm down.

• Fire 2

You can tell it's been a long, long time since we've had a player drafted this high. People seem to have no idea how often situations like this occur. Suh's contract negotiations aren't any different than those of most other top draft picks over the last several years. Everyone just needs to calm down.

I agree. Bradford had to sign for SUH to even begin/finalize. McCoy got his done for slightly less per year than Bradford but much less potential monies.

The parameters have been set, higher than McCoy and lower than Bradford. This is stuck on guaranteed money if I had to guess. It is hard to guarantee money on someone that has never taken an NFL snap. (please see Jamarcus Russell's contract)

I won't copy/paste it because it's "Insider" content on ESPN, but it didn't sound like the Lions' coach was real concerned about it. He said the domino that needed to fall was Bradford's contract and that Suh's would come shortly thereafter. I bet he signs today or tomorrow for like $42M guaranteed.

yeah I predicted 5 years--$66 million ($40 million guaranteed)

Well, for a humble kid who said from day 1 he adamantly wanted to be in camp on time, I sure hope this does not last.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100731/OPINION03/7310406/1126/Ndamukong-Suh-s-contract-impasse-had-better-not-last

There's a rumor floating around that he wants more money than Sam Bradford but I'm gonna dismiss that as pure speculation. Considering I saw it on Bleacher Report, I'm not even sure calling it a 'lie' would do it justice.

But this is a situation to follow...particularly after it sounded like he was gonna sign on time as recently as this morning.

He will be on the field for the first game of the season and probably in better shape than most. So let it be written so let it be done.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

Well, for a humble kid who said from day 1 he adamantly wanted to be in camp on time, I sure hope this does not last.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100731/OPINION03/7310406/1126/Ndamukong-Suh-s-contract-impasse-had-better-not-last

There's a rumor floating around that he wants more money than Sam Bradford but I'm gonna dismiss that as pure speculation. Considering I saw it on Bleacher Report, I'm not even sure calling it a 'lie' would do it justice.

But this is a situation to follow...particularly after it sounded like he was gonna sign on time as recently as this morning.

He will be on the field for the first game of the season and probably in better shape than most. So let it be written so let it be done.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

I'm also guessing that he will be at first practice no matter what happens.

I can confirm that he's still in Lincoln. In fact, if you hurry over to the North 27th St Wal-Mart, you might just see him. I was walking out just now and damned near ran into him. I put my fist out for a bump and said, "Hey, man."

I did not get a bump.

I got a look that said, "Hey. I've had about 1,000 people try to give me a fist bump today alone. I'm done with the bumping of fists. Nothing personal."

I didn't take it personal. I think he's got plenty on his mind.

One note - I'm a big guy, but Suh is built on a completely different scale than me. I don't feel small very often, but I did just now.

SUH (or his agent) is just protecting himself from being exploited. why should not the nfl pay top dollar? they have top dollar to pay because of players. sure it makes him look greedy, and maybe he is, but the nfl is greedy. just a couple of wealthy entities fighting for a few more bucks. non-guaranteed contracts are lame and SUH should hold out for a real contract. he plays, they pay; simple enough for me.

I can confirm that he's still in Lincoln. In fact, if you hurry over to the North 27th St Wal-Mart, you might just see him. I was walking out just now and damned near ran into him. I put my fist out for a bump and said, "Hey, man."

I did not get a bump.

I got a look that said, "Hey. I've had about 1,000 people try to give me a fist bump today alone. I'm done with the bumping of fists. Nothing personal."

One note - I'm a big guy, but Suh is built on a completely different scale than me. I don't feel small very often, but I did just now.

I wouldn't touch anyone in WallyWorld either. Half the people that go there probably wipe their rear ends with their bare hands(lol.....only half joking). On top of that, he was probably looking around the place thinking that the people there were going to look like "suits" compared to what he's going to see every day in Detroit.

Maybe the honeymoon is over and he's figuring out that he gave away a TON of money before he even got his first NFL paycheck. It's not like he'd be the first to make that mistake. A mil here, a few mil there, the tax man, house, family-oh wait, I don't even have a signed contract, let alone a years worth of pay yet.

I did not get a bump.

I wouldn't touch anyone in WallyWorld either. Half the people that go there probably wipe their rear ends with their bare hands(lol.....only half joking). On top of that, he was probably looking around the place thinking that the people there were going to look like "suits" compared to what he's going to see every day in Detroit.

Maybe the honeymoon is over and he's figuring out that he gave away a TON of money before he even got his first NFL paycheck. It's not like he'd be the first to make that mistake. A mil here, a few mil there, the tax man, house, family-oh wait, I don't even have a signed contract, let alone a years worth of pay yet.

Knapplc you seem to bump into players all the time. I hardly ever saw players during my years in Lincoln. You must hang out at the right places. Ha!

I was looking at the Detroit Lions board on ESPN and they are in pretty bad meltdown mode already. Well some of their fans are. Acting like the season is starting in a week and he hadnt signed. Making that promise to be there on time is making him look bad to their fans though. Hopefully he gets his deal figured out ASAP.

Knapplc you seem to bump into players all the time. I hardly ever saw players during my years in Lincoln. You must hang out at the right places. Ha!

It's just pure dumb luck. I've lived in Lincoln for 20 years and I hardly ever saw players until the last couple of years. Either I'm paying more attention, or I see their pictures so I know what they look like, or it's just luck. Whatever it is, I've had a pretty interesting string of run-ins with players and coaches.

Off the top of my head I've run into:

Alex Henery

Ndamukong Suh

Rex Burkhead

Andrew Green

Khiry Cooper

Zac Lee (twice)

Jared Crick

Bo Pelini (several times)

Mike Ekeler

Ron Brown

Marvin Sanders

I've met a bunch of the Volleyball players, several basketball players, and a couple of the soccer and softball players. I also got to meet Joba when he was back in town filming something for the YES network here at the NETV studios.

Overwhelmingly, my interactions have been very positive with these players and coaches. The only player and the only coach that didn't take time to chit-chat and smile and make nice were Suh and Bo. You really can't blame either of them, though - Suh has a TON on his mind right now, and Bo's not a chit-chatty kind of guy. But Bo does take the time to pose for pics with fans, and do all that stuff. It's all good.

Suh's definitely losing the battle in the press. Not only has the head coach expressed impatience, but former Husker and current Lions center Dominic Raiola just called him out.

"Just sign the contract already"

If players, coaches and fans keep getting ticked, Suh better just sign. If he looks bad and the organization looks good, he's not going to get more money, he might actually get less.

Suh's definitely losing the battle in the press. Not only has the head coach expressed impatience, but former Husker and current Lions center Dominic Raiola just called him out.

"Just sign the contract already"

If players, coaches and fans keep getting ticked, Suh better just sign. If he looks bad and the organization looks good, he's not going to get more money, he might actually get less.

I dont want to hate on Suh, but Raiola is right.