Suh's holdout

zoogs

If you believe the mayor of Detroit, the underemployment rate(including part time workers looking for full time jobs, and people who have just quit looking-is closer to 50%)-and that number doesn't include the people who have left. We're talking about a town who is talking about bulldozing abandoned neighborhoods and turning them into parks. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/16/detroits-unemployment-rat_n_394559.html

Glad to see that he signed. Maybe it's time to knock Raiola on his azz & remind him to mind his own business.

If you believe the mayor of Detroit, the underemployment rate(including part time workers looking for full time jobs, and people who have just quit looking-is closer to 50%)-and that number doesn't include the people who have left. We're talking about a town who is talking about bulldozing abandoned neighborhoods and turning them into parks. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/16/detroits-unemployment-rat_n_394559.html

I have friends in Detroit. The problems they're having are ridiculous. It's a town that has really gone astray. I went from hating the Lions and their fans as division rivals to pitying them.

This is a city we should not just abandon - they're as important to America as any other town.

Here's hoping they turn it around. They have a lot of work to do.

Glad to see that he signed. Maybe it's time to knock Raiola on his azz & remind him to mind his own business.

Yup. Raiola is going to be HURTIN after tomorrow's practice.

Or he's gonna introduce our boy Suh to the NFL the hard way...let's not forget they are both Nebraska products. What's gonna happen when they collide? Will the earth still be...you know, spinning? Better start writing our wills...if there's anyone left to find it when it's all over.

Well, I am glad this saga is in full-blown 'blow over' mode. I hope all future rookies take note though. Negotiations are a complicated thing, and coming out and promising to be in training camp on time is ... not too smart. Don't make the promises you can't possibly know if you can keep.

In most cases, I'd prefer the guaranteed money be less than 50% of the total contract, with lots of built in incentives (extra $$ for sacks, pro bowl seasons etc..) but in Suh's case, he has his own burning incentive.

I just wish Detroit played the Cardinals out here this season.

I guess it depends on your perspective. From my perspective, I could easily say that living in the middle of an endless cornfield is the "butthole of the US."

I'm also assuming that since you're so sure of this you have been you Detroit.

Welcome to the Board. I see you've met WCHusker, who is pretty cool but doesn't hide his opinions. Like most of us, I guess.

Don't be a stranger. Good luck to Michigan this year. :thumbs

Thanks a lot for the welcome. I've been lurking for a little while since you guys joined the B10. It's fun to hear some different viewpoints.

In response to the 15% unemployment, well, that's what happens when your economy is so reliant on one industry. The whole state of Michigan pretty much lives and dies by the auto industry. Greed and bad decisions have put a lot of people in a really bad spot. Even if it is the "butthole of the US" I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Plus it makes me sound like a gangster when I say, "I'm from Detroit, bitch".

Anyways, I hope Suh can live up to his hype. The B12 championship game made me instantly want him on the Lions. With Suh and Jahvid Best added to the roster, there's more excitement about the Lions around here than there has been in awhile (even though, as crazy as it sounds with the Red Wings, Detroit is a football city). I just heard on the radio today though that his agent said something along the lines of "We're glad it's a 5 year deal so he can get to free agency sooner". Needless to say that rubbed some people the wrong way around here.

Kinda sad I'd rather talk about the Lions than UM this pre-season!

I guess it depends on your perspective. From my perspective, I could easily say that living in the middle of an endless cornfield is the "butthole of the US."

Welcome to the Board. I see you've met WCHusker, who is pretty cool but doesn't hide his opinions. Like most of us, I guess.

Anyways, I hope Suh can live up to his hype. The B12 championship game made me instantly want him on the Lions. With Suh and Jahvid Best added to the roster, there's more excitement about the Lions around here than there has been in awhile (even though, as crazy as it sounds with the Red Wings, Detroit is a football city). I just heard on the radio today though that his agent said something along the lines of "We're glad it's a 5 year deal so he can get to free agency sooner". Needless to say that rubbed some people the wrong way around here.

If you find a link for that quote, please post it. I can't believe his agent would be so stupid as to say something like that.

If you find a link for that quote, please post it. I can't believe his agent would be so stupid as to say something like that.

Here was the original quote: “The market continues to go up. I think he wanted to get a chance to maximize his opportunity in the position he’s drafted in, but also if he comes out and plays well, he’ll get an opportunity to get back to the free agent market more quickly,” Barnes said.

But apparently Suh has cleared the issue up a bit. Either way, it's weird to say that I can't wait for the Lions season to start. I hope that since Nebraska doesn't have a pro FB team, some of you will become Lions fans!