50 Most Painful Losses

I’ll bet the Miami OB loss is in the top 5, but not #1. I’m guessing it will be the Stanford band play with John Elway’s Stanford Cardinals losing to Cal.

I dont think so. Osbornes call was for the NC. The Cal/Stanford game was played between two mediocre teams with a really crazy finish. The NU/Mia game was for all the marbles and NU was supposed to win the game. Losing a rivalry game is nowhere close to losing a NC when all you had to do was kick a field goal to ensure it.

I’ll bet the Miami OB loss is in the top 5, but not #1. I’m guessing it will be the Stanford band play with John Elway’s Stanford Cardinals losing to Cal.

I dont think so. Osbornes call was for the NC. The Cal/Stanford game was played between two mediocre teams with a really crazy finish. The NU/Mia game was for all the marbles and NU was supposed to win the game. Losing a rivalry game is nowhere close to losing a NC when all you had to do was kick a field goal to ensure it.

All very true indeed. But more people remember the Stanford band play.

The Fleakicker will be on the list somewhere too.

Coming in at 36th was Florida vs. Florida State from 1994, when FSU came back from 28 points down in the 4th quarter to tie the game. The difference between Bowden and Osborne: Bowden kicks the PAT and takes the tie on their final score. Osborne goes for the win.

In the deed the glory.

Oklahoma 17

Nebraska 7

"The Game of the Century II"

Nov. 21, 1987: Nebraska was ranked No. 1. Oklahoma was No. 2. It was billed as the "Game of the Century II." The Cornhuskers took a 7-0 lead on Keith Jones' 25-yard touchdown run but crossed midfield only twice more against the Sooners' menacing defense. The Cornhuskers were held to only 235 yards of offense, 289 less than their season average. Behind freshman QB Charles Thompson, the Sooners ran away with a 17-7 victory. The Sooners took over the No. 1 ranking before losing to Miami 20-14 in the Orange Bowl.

Wow. If that's #32, then the 1983 Orange Bowl has to be #1, because that was by far a bigger loss. I wouldn't have thought of this game at all.

Does it make anyone else mad that Pat Forde [who is loathe with a passion] is the one writing this article and happens to take a shot at Nebraska, as he ALWAYS does when talking about us] and ESPN mention at the end of #50 Nebraska/Texas 2009 Big 12 Championship by stating:

"Then :01 reappeared on the clock. Texas kicker Hunter Lawrence slid a 46-yard field goal inside the upright. Texas won, 13-12. The Huskers fled for the Big Ten -- can you blame them?"

:facepalm:

Really ESPN/Forde? Really? I mean, REALLY? Do we HAVE to go over this again? Look, I know Forde is a Missouri graduate, so he is probably just bitter that Nebraska got into the Big Ten and Missouri did not, well at least not yet, as well as how historically we have wins over them in football, but really? We fled for the Big Ten because of this loss? Really? I mean, really? <_<

So if Missouri would have got into the Big Ten and Nebraska didn't, would Missouri be "fleeing" to a conference because they "can't compete or win a Big 12 Title?" No, they would be doing what's best for them, the university, and the state. If Texas had got into the Big Ten, they also would be doing what's best for the University, State, and athletics comes last. :LOLtartar

But when NEBRASKA wants to go to the Big Ten, it's because we "Can't win/compete in the Big 12" and "Has nothing to do with academics or how better off we would be in a stable conference and to better the state". :wacko:

Did we run when Oklahoma kicked our ass for all those years straight in the Big Eight? Did we run when Osborne couldn't beat Oklahoma [Wow that's really odd for me to say, considering I never "remember" seeing Osborne lose to Oklahoma, ever, born in 1987 :P]

But you get the point.

We didn't want out of the Big 12 the first time we lost to Texas did we? We didn't want out when Texas Tech kicked us around 70-10 in 2004 did we? We didn't want out when Kansas got the better of us in 2005 and 2007 did we? And we sure as hell didn't want out after Texas narrowly beat us by that field goal in the Big XII Championship game.

This has NOTHING to do with athletics. If anything, we are going to a MORE DIFFICULT conference in terms of football competition, bigger stadiums, a few powerhouse teams, rich of tradition, not sure what the divisions or schedules will look like, NEW RECRUITING GROUNDS, trying to stabilize the old recruiting grounds and keep a NATIONAL recruiting stage.

Nothing to do with athletics, but it has everything to do with Academics and what's best for US and the State. :bigredn:

Screw ESPN. :espnsucks:

Let's shut everyone up this year on our way out since we "like to run so much". Hopefully the only running we will be doing is all over the other teams.

:bonez:box

• Fire 1

If it is a Missouri guy writing, I wouldn't be surprised to see the '78 Missouri/Nebraska game in there. The combination of how old I was (football being the only thing that mattered at the time) and just having finally gotten that big win over OU made that one the bitterest pill to swallow. Still #1 on my list. :espnsucks:

:rant

Ok, seriously, what the hell has happened to professionalism in journalism?!?! Jesus effing Christ.

"Texas kicker Hunter Lawrence slid a 46-yard field goal inside the upright. Texas won, 13-12. The Huskers fled for the Big Ten -- can you blame them?"

Unbelievable. This, less than a month after Mike Blackwell posts "dear children of the corn" on a FREAKING ESPN AFFILIATE!!!!

And the fact that a guy like Mike DeArmond still has a job? Or AP poll votes? I'm absolutely too disgusted to try and find out if that clown has a Heisman vote.

Is anyone else absolutely appalled by this lately?

A sportswriter saying Nebraska "fled to the Big 10, can you blame them?" on the zenith of sports media, ESPN? How does crap like this happen? That's purely a shot a Nebraska with a thinly veiled disguise of disrespect by saying "can you blame them?"

Seriously I fully expected all of the hate from people who are able to convince themselves that Nebraska "fled" to the Big 10 for all the wrong reasons, but on crappy blogs and message boards, not ESPN, affiliated websites, and national publications!

:rant

• Fire 1