50 Most Painful Losses

:rant

Ok, seriously, what the hell has happened to professionalism in journalism?!?! Jesus effing Christ.

"Texas kicker Hunter Lawrence slid a 46-yard field goal inside the upright. Texas won, 13-12. The Huskers fled for the Big Ten -- can you blame them?"

Unbelievable. This, less than a month after Mike Blackwell posts "dear children of the corn" on a FREAKING ESPN AFFILIATE!!!!

And the fact that a guy like Mike DeArmond still has a job? Or AP poll votes? I'm absolutely too disgusted to try and find out if that clown has a Heisman vote.

Is anyone else absolutely appalled by this lately?

A sportswriter saying Nebraska "fled to the Big 10, can you blame them?" on the zenith of sports media, ESPN? How does crap like this happen? That's purely a shot a Nebraska with a thinly veiled disguise of disrespect by saying "can you blame them?"

Seriously I fully expected all of the hate from people who are able to convince themselves that Nebraska "fled" to the Big 10 for all the wrong reasons, but on crappy blogs and message boards, not ESPN, affiliated websites, and national publications!

:rant

I thought that Mizzou was supposed to have an outstanding school of journalism? I guess that's why they didn't get into the Big 10?

Nebraska's had plenty of painful losses, but the 1984 Orange Bowl loss was by far the most painful. Not even the 94 Orange Bowl loss comes close.

That game was a heart breaker. It tops my list. That team had the most offensive talent ever assembled on one team.

Their D was that good but one of my favorite teams of all-time.

How do Florida and FSU tie? I thought there was always OT...

Ties were allowed. There was only seconds left in the game. Does Bowden go for the win in huge game like TO or does he take the cowardly way out and go for the tie? That decision and a couple others prove that Bowden will never be considered as a top coach. When TO did it, NU was the only unbeaten and in tied team. If TO kicks it in 83, NU still wins the National Championship, if he doesn't get it they finish in second place. TO went for broke and Bowden went for a tie. Nothing more to say. TO is the man.

How do Florida and FSU tie? I thought there was always OT...

Nope, sometime around 96 or 97 is when it started. For sure 97 because of the Missouri game.

Why do you think Osborne went for 2 in the 84 Orange Bowl?

iirc OT was officially introduced for the bowl games in 1995.

I remember this because part of the hype for the Fiesta Bowl was that the game could go into OT (ha!).

I definately remember Osborne being asked about it prior to the game and he said he thought it was a good idea and with his typical dry humor he added that he "wish they'd had it in '83"

Edit:

Found a few articles in Google Archive News:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=IYEUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZAMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4299,5225295

Officially decided in May of 1995 that there would be OT in that season's bowl games- but not the regular season.

They now have Top 10's for the Kings of Pain, and the Pawns of Pain. Guess which list we are on?

3. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Tom Osborne guided the Cornhuskers to three national championships, but before he won his first title in 1994, there was plenty of heartbreak in the heartland.

In 1982, the Cornhuskers' only loss was at Penn State, in which the Nittany Lions won 27-24 after a controversial catch and diving touchdown reception in the final seconds. In 1983, Nebraska lost a national championship after quarterback Turner Gill's two-point pass fell incomplete in a 31-30 loss to Miami in the Orange Bowl.

And, in 1993, the Cornhuskers lost another national title after Byron Bennett missed a 45-yard field goal on the final play of an 18-16 loss to Florida State in the Orange Bowl.

4. Missouri Tigers

The Tigers have endured myriad losses in the final seconds. BYU beat them 21-17 in the 1983 Holiday Bowl on, of all things, a halfback pass to Cougars quarterback Steve Young with 23 seconds to play.

In 1990, eventual co-national champion Colorado scored the winning touchdown in a 33-31 victory on what should have been fifth down. In 1997, Nebraska's Matt Davison caught a tying touchdown after the ball bounced off the hands, chest and foot of teammate Shevin Wiggins. The Cornhuskers won 45-38 in overtime and went on to share a national championship with Michigan.

Even when Missouri was really good -- it was ranked No. 1 in the country heading into the 2007 Big 12 championship game -- it was overlooked. After losing to Oklahoma 38-17 in the Big 12 title game, the Tigers were left out of a BCS bowl game. Kansas, which lost to Missouri 36-28 during the regular season, was invited to the Orange Bowl instead of the Tigers.

5. Clemson Tigers

In 1984, the Tigers lost to Georgia 26-23 on Kevin Butler's game-ending, 60-yard field goal. Four years later, Clemson lost to Florida State 24-21 after Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden's gutsy "Puntrooskie" play set up the winning field goal.

Life has been just as frustrating for Clemson fans during the past two decades. The Tigers haven't won a conference championship since 1991, but they've come agonizingly close a couple of times. In 2000, the Tigers were 8-0 and ranked No. 4 when they lost to Georgia Tech 31-28. The Yellow Jackets won after Kerry Watkins made a one-handed touchdown grab with seven seconds to go.

In 2008, Boston College's Matt Ryan threw a late touchdown pass to give the Eagles a 20-17 lead in a winner-take-all game to decide the ACC's Atlantic Division. Clemson's Aaron Kelly dropped what would have been a winning touchdown, and then the Tigers missed a 54-yard field goal try at the end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5434477

5. Clemson Tigers

In 1984, the Tigers lost to Georgia 26-23 on Kevin Butler's game-ending, 60-yard field goal. Four years later, Clemson lost to Florida State 24-21 after Seminoles coach Bobby Bowden's gutsy "Puntrooskie" play set up the winning field goal.

Life has been just as frustrating for Clemson fans during the past two decades. The Tigers haven't won a conference championship since 1991, but they've come agonizingly close a couple of times. In 2000, the Tigers were 8-0 and ranked No. 4 when they lost to Georgia Tech 31-28. The Yellow Jackets won after Kerry Watkins made a one-handed touchdown grab with seven seconds to go.

In 2008, Boston College's Matt Ryan threw a late touchdown pass to give the Eagles a 20-17 lead in a winner-take-all game to decide the ACC's Atlantic Division. Clemson's Aaron Kelly dropped what would have been a winning touchdown, and then the Tigers missed a 54-yard field goal try at the end.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I must look at pain differently than most. The most painful losses to me are the ones where Nebraska got beat so bad it looked like we didn't even belong on the field with the other team. A few recent ones come to mind such as OU and Mizzou a couple years ago or TT in 04'. However, there are others such as the Colorado game in 2001. Then, there are the bowl games back in the late 80's and early 90's. These are the most painful to me because I can take those close losses where a break here or a break there gives the W. However, I can't stand the complete beatdowns we've taken over the years.

I thought that Mizzou was supposed to have an outstanding school of journalism? I guess that's why they didn't get into the Big 10?

When I was shopping around for colleges, NW Missouri State had a fine J-School.

As a NWMSU alum and grad of the mass media dept. I must say, its good...but not MU good.

Although....i would like to take knappy's statement and apply that to all my posts. From now on if you doubt me, know that not only am I a pretty cool guy, but I also have my B.S. in Broadcasting from that fine j-school at NWMSU. So therefor, i am always correct. :lol:

:corndance:corndance