50 Most Painful Losses

Only #50? That game came down to 1 second, how much more painful can a loss get?

losing to texass is one thing

and TT in 04' had to hurt, even with cally at the helm.

but isu/neb 2009 in lincoln with Bo as coach....

something else again.

but I'm biased a little.

I must look at pain differently than most. The most painful losses to me are the ones where Nebraska got beat so bad it looked like we didn't even belong on the field with the other team. A few recent ones come to mind such as OU and Mizzou a couple years ago or TT in 04'. However, there are others such as the Colorado game in 2001. Then, there are the bowl games back in the late 80's and early 90's. These are the most painful to me because I can take those close losses where a break here or a break there gives the W. However, I can't stand the complete beatdowns we've taken over the years.

Interesting take. Maybe the proper name for this list should be "most heartbreaking losses?"

I was 10 yrs old at the 1987 OU NU game and it was very heartbreaking. I remember 'the boz' strutting on the field and crying my eyes out as the clock ticked to zero. That day sealed my fate as a die hard Cornhusker fan.

You must have been at the 1986 game, which was also painful, if you remember the Boz. By 1987 he was in Seattle getting ran over by the likes of Bo Jackson.

I do agree that the 1987 game was one of the most painful losses. Not sure how we got two home games in a row against OU, but they had come from behind the year before and beaten us in the final seconds. In 1987 they had their starting QB and RB out and they still came in and beat us. Nebraska had talked trash the whole week leading up to the game and then was shut down offensively after the first possession. To make matters worse it was the fourth loss in a row for NU against the Sooners and the second time in four years that we had been ranked #1 going into the game.

Oh well, OU fell apart after that game and TO only lost to OU one more time. It made those wins in the '90's that much sweeter.

didn't read the list but when I think about painful losses I always thik of Mizzou. They had the "fifth down" game, and "the kick that was completely accidental and 100% within the rules <_< " both aginast them and both cost mizzou the game and the other team went on to win the National title in those respective years

didn't read the list but when I think about painful losses I always thik of Mizzou. They had the "fifth down" game, and "the kick that was completely accidental and 100% within the rules <_< " both aginast them and both cost mizzou the game and the other team went on to win the National title in those respective years

Yeah, those games must have been hard to swallow for Mizzou fans. That being said, I don't think Mizzou fans can complain too much about Wiggins kicking the ball considering the got by with an illegal pick play that scored a touchdown. I believe it was their last TD and I remember Dan Fouts pointing it out. There also should have been a pass interferance play on that last drive when Davidson was trying to catch a pass near the goaline. So, yes we were lucky, but to a smaller degree, they were too.

Yeah, those games must have been hard to swallow for Mizzou fans. That being said, I don't think Mizzou fans can complain too much about Wiggins kicking the ball considering the got by with an illegal pick play that scored a touchdown. I believe it was their last TD and I remember Dan Fouts pointing it out. There also should have been a pass interferance play on that last drive when Davidson was trying to catch a pass near the goaline. So, yes we were lucky, but to a smaller degree, they were too.

warfield was picked as much by the nebraska defender as he was by the MU receiver. And if you watch that play it is completely legal.

warfield was picked as much by the nebraska defender as he was by the MU receiver. And if you watch that play it is completely legal.

It wasn't legal according to Fouts, but it's been a while since I've seen the play myself.

lets just put it this way....if there are 60 passing plays per game in CFB. YOu would see a simular play in about 20 of them. thats alot of flags.

and i am pretty sure if i were to rewatch that game i could find about 15 times fouts said something that was wrong

lets just put it this way....if there are 60 passing plays per game in CFB. YOu would see a simular play in about 20 of them. thats alot of flags.

and i am pretty sure if i were to rewatch that game i could find about 15 times fouts said something that was wrong

are you saying that the loss is pretty painful.

I was saying that it was a correct no call. :)

That loss sucked, but it is also very bitter sweet for me. MU football was god awful growing up. YOu kinda watched, but whats the fun in a 3 win team that gets beat by 30 or more nearly every game they played someone good. 97 was the first winning Tiger team I was old enough to have watched. I got to see the heart of the team. A team that played with and should have beat the #1 team in the country. The team of the mid 90's. My team, that little group of players that were not good enough, held there own and put that galiath on the ropes. That game did a few things for me. It cemented me for life as a Tigers fan. It made Corby Jones my favorite Tiger of all time, regardless of sport. And it made that game a great memory. It would have been a better memory had Corby gotten the first down with about 1 minute left... <_<

But its still pretty good.

:o

post-4424-128101270177.jpg

I gave out an award to the team with the best QB in my fantasy league - the Dan Fouts Golden Arm award. How can you say that about Dan Fouts, fro? How?

I was saying that it was a correct no call. smile.gif

That loss sucked, but it is also very bitter sweet for me. MU football was god awful growing up. YOu kinda watched, but whats the fun in a 3 win team that gets beat by 30 or more nearly every game they played someone good. 97 was the first winning Tiger team I was old enough to have watched. I got to see the heart of the team. A team that played with and should have beat the #1 team in the country. The team of the mid 90's. My team, that little group of players that were not good enough, held there own and put that galiath on the ropes. That game did a few things for me. It cemented me for life as a Tigers fan. It made Corby Jones my favorite Tiger of all time, regardless of sport. And it made that game a great memory. It would have been a better memory had Corby gotten the first down with about 1 minute left... dry.gif

But its still pretty good.

Corby Jones was awesome. He was MUCH better (and much less douchey) than Brad Smith.