Starting Safeties

I was reading over on HuskerIllustrated and a prominent poster stated that he felt that right now Gomes and West will be the starters at the safety position. When asked about P.J. Smith, he said he just wasn't top 2 right now. Anyone close to the situation know who has been getting the most reps at safety? I have really high hopes for Smith this year. Its not that I don't like West, but his play the last few years has a left a lot to be desired IMO. Either way, I want the two best to play. :throwdabones1:

Its not a mental, physical, or attitude problem with PJ its just that other safeties have really stepped up for far. What people have been saying on HI is that Cassidy, who is a peso back, could push Gomes or Thenarse for the other starting spot if he actually was a true safety. For now it looks like Gomes and West, with Ricky and PJ rotating in. With the added depth competition will be a real good booster for our safeties in the Fall.

I agree with Knapplc. But i do want too see our younger safeties seeing significant time by years end.

I understand Bo and Carl's schemes are probably tough to grasp but we need these guys too step it up.

Especially since we got a changing of the guard coming up, as Calladumb kids are becoming fewer and fewer on the roster.

I believe in all these guys, but i want too see significant progress from the younger guys in this unit this year.

:throwdabones1:

I read that just now, too. Tim May sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I hope with a good fall camp, that Smith could emerge. But with West, the thing is he wasn't a good cover corner. As a safety, it's a different story, isn't it? With his experience, it could be vital and potentially lessen the growing pains. I'm kind of sad to see Gomes as no longer a corner, but oh well. Bo probably knows what he's doing, but Gomes was sick as a dime back.

Safety is a position to watch, though, for sure. BigWillie said earlier in the spring, NONE of the safeties had stepped up to assert themselves in a position for playing time, despite the huge void and opportunity available. That has to be a disappointment. In short, it's probably a good thing we are developing a great second corner in Dennard, because safety play looks like it's taking a couple steps back this year.

Hopefully they grow over the year though, and Gomes/West's experience, with Smith and Thenarse in reserve, would be good. It struck me that Tim May said Cassidy would challenge Gomes if he weren't at peso.

I wouldn't take that to heart too much just yet. Besides, we saw Smith play last year and although he didn't do anything amazing (batted final pass at the Holiday Bowl?), he didn't screw anything up, which I would say is more important for a new safety in Bo's schemes.

If Smith, who we know is decent+, is sliding, then we should be excited about depth if anything. I wouldn't be too broken up to see Gomes and Big Ricky in the same secondary. I mean, a ballhawk and a jawbreaker? What more could you ask for? :throwdabones1:

West was a good player for the transition from Cosgrove's defense to Pelini's. He did an adequate job as a starter in 2008, but I don't think he's talented enough to be a starter on this defense with all the talent in the defensive backfield. I think Gomes would be perfect as O'Hanlan's replacement at FS. I think he's capable of doing the same things that Matt did last year, a kind of center fielder who also came up and made tackles on those outside runs. Gomes probably has the best nose for the ball on the defense and he'd be perfect for it.

Smith saw a lot of time as a backup last year and there was barely any drop off from Asante. Unless he's done bad in the off season, then I don't see anyone taking the SS spot from him.

My thoughts on the Safety spot for this year are that Gomes and Smith are starting, but when a situation calls for the Dime package, then move Gomes over to the Dime spot and Thenarse comes in to replace him.

From what I've heard is that Gomes and West are both looking really good at the safety spots, so that means there must some competition going on. I like the idea of Gomes more than the West part just because I feel like West has cost us on multiple accounts but hey maybe he found his calling at safety compared to corner.

I would not say at all that there was 'barely any' drop off from Asante. Asante ended up being a pretty darn good safety for us, as did Matt. Smith saw some garbage time and some spot time, but if he were truly close to Asante's level he'd probably be locked into a starting spot. It's what I thought was gonna happen but evidently it hasn't :/

I do like a ballhawking safety in Gomes. I just wonder how solidified his spot is if Cassidy would be a challenger if he weren't at peso.

Smith played some very quality time against Oklahoma when Asante went out hurt, and people should be careful not to put Asante and O'Hanlon up on a pedestal. They were lights out at the end of the year, but there were holes early on (Virginia Tech anybody?) I highly doubt that 2 days of practice have led the coaches to any decisions on who might be their top 2 safeties, and I'm guessing that regardless of who ends up starting, they'll begin the year at a higher level then O'Hanlon and Asante did last year.

If you take a look at this defense, there really is no difference between the SS and FS spot; much like there is no difference between the two LB spots.

Now I would not want West out there in the CB position, but based on what I have seen from him in the past and somewhat knowing what he is good at, I would think the safety position is a more natural fit for him. This might explain why he appears to be a leading candidate to fill one of the safety spots.

Gomes is a playmaker. I think you can put him anywhere in the backfield and he will excel. He's just that type of player. However, since we switched to the 4-2-5 base, that would leave him out since he's the dimeback. Bad idea. He is one of the best DBs we have and he needs to be on the field at all times in some sort of role, so safety would make sense. I think I read somewhere that the plan is for him to be one of the safeties when using the 4-2-5 base (Peso, or whatever they call it) and the extra cover man when in the Dime.

So, assuming the above is true, we will need at least three safeties to step up during fall practice since someone will need to replace Gomes when we are in the Dime package. Based on the little we saw of Smith last year, I would think he would be that guy. Let's hope he has a great fall and steps it up.

West is more of a natural safety than a CB. He has been in Bo's systems for 3 years, so it would not suprise me that he could get plenty of PT. Gomes is great as a ballhawk when he has a safety BEHIND him. If he ballhawks and gets beat, he could give up plenty of big plays.

The skills needed to play CB, S, or even the dime are all different. I'm convinced that Bo and Marvin will get these guys where they need to be, however.