Starting Safeties

I'm confused...does that mean Andrew's future isn't at corner? And it's Hagg-Cassidy at peso isn't it? Does this mean we won't see a lot of Green this year?

Maybe Cassidy works exclusively at safety? Isn't that what he did until the Arizona game? I wouldn't mind seeing Matt O'Hanlon 2.0 out of Cassidy...

:throwdabones1:

Thats what Im wondering too. The peso to me would a different type of postion than your typical corner/safety spot. Cassidy always reminds me of Ohanlon, maybe the coaches are catching on now. Im also beginning to worry about all this shuffling of players to different positions, that it maybe too much for the players to handle.

West has never had any problems. Carl Pelini placed a huge challenge on him this winter and told him that he had all the tools, knew the system, we just need him to be more agressive and physical and take more chances trying to make plays. He has stepped up and done just that.

Corey Cooper is actually looking at some playing time as well.

I think coverage-wise we will be better than last year at safety; run support remains to be seen.

I bet you 1000 dollars that does not happen at safety.

I was told awhile ago that he was pushing PJ Smith very hard for PT. Him and Rome are the only two freshmen that could challenge for any playing time this year. Everybody else is almost certain to redshirt.

Smith played some very quality time against Oklahoma when Asante went out hurt, and people should be careful not to put Asante and O'Hanlon up on a pedestal. They were lights out at the end of the year, but there were holes early on (Virginia Tech anybody?) I highly doubt that 2 days of practice have led the coaches to any decisions on who might be their top 2 safeties, and I'm guessing that regardless of who ends up starting, they'll begin the year at a higher level then O'Hanlon and Asante did last year.

Cheap shot, AND I think those who placed all of the blame on O'Hanlon were wrong. The CB/LB was just as much to blame. Just because one person is close to the person who makes the catch does NOT mean that it was their sole responsibility. Quite to the contrary actually. That person might be trying to correct a coverage mistake by someone else.

O'Hanlon and Asante were both VERY good. They won't be easily replaced.

Edit: toned down a bit . . .

Smith played some very quality time against Oklahoma when Asante went out hurt, and people should be careful not to put Asante and O'Hanlon up on a pedestal. They were lights out at the end of the year, but there were holes early on (Virginia Tech anybody?) I highly doubt that 2 days of practice have led the coaches to any decisions on who might be their top 2 safeties, and I'm guessing that regardless of who ends up starting, they'll begin the year at a higher level then O'Hanlon and Asante did last year.

Cheap shot, AND those who placed all of the blame on O'Hanlon were idiots. The CB/LB was just as much to blame. Just because one person is close to the person who makes the catch does NOT mean that it was their sole responsibility. Quite to the contrary actually. That person might be trying to correct a coverage mistake by someone else.

umm...i understand where youre coming from...

but...

the VT play was very on O'hanlons shoulders. no if ands or buts. seriously.

Cheap shot, AND those who placed all of the blame on O'Hanlon were idiots. The CB/LB was just as much to blame. Just because one person is close to the person who makes the catch does NOT mean that it was their sole responsibility. Quite to the contrary actually. That person might be trying to correct a coverage mistake by someone else.

There might have been holes early in the VTech game. But the Pelini brothers adjusted, thats what good teams do. Vtech couldnt really do anything in the 2nd half if I remember right. That one play couldve been a mistake on anybody. Prob miscommunication on coverage. I remember West letting him go right by, Taylor had to scramble across the field to find the receiver.

By the end of year Asante and Ohanlon were prob the best safety combo in Big 12.

It was just one play, but it WAS on O'Hanlon. He saved the TD though, then sacked Taylor the very next play. If we hadn't of given Taylor 3 minutes on the TD play it probably would have still been an NU win.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2009/09/19/football/doc4ab5210a01e93526012279.txt

“What I saw, the quarterback rolled out, and Matty (Matt O’Hanlon) didn’t get deep enough,” Sanders said. “But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I’ve just got to get him coached up a little better.”

O’Hanlon came back on the next play to sack Taylor at the 11. An incomplete pass followed. Third down loomed. Hey, maybe the Huskers were going to have their biggest road win in 12 years, after all.

What is the deal with Cooper? Any news at all? I thought we would be a vicious stud. Or maybe the secondary is just so damn good he can't break through?

To be fair this was only Corey's third day with the coaching staff at what is one of the most demanding positions in Pelini's scheme. I think Corey will be very good, but I don't know how much he'll play unless someone gets hurt.

carlfense, I agree with you that Asante and O'Hanlon were very good and won't be easy to replace - but that play early in the season was really all Matt, wasn't it? We dissected it a lot after it happened here. Corner covered short, safety had the deep zone.

Is the safety ever supposed to be 1 on 1 with a WR in Pelini's scheme? I know they almost always have deep responsibility but isn't there supposed to be a CB under and a S over? I could be wrong.

Either way, I'll tone down the post. I just got a little defensive when people I think deserve huge props are sold short.

It looked like a cover 2 zone, but if you look at it West didn't even bother to wall off or reroute the receiver, he just let him go. Also, the coaches told him that Taylor never pump fakes so the first motion you see to attack, and what happened, Taylor pump faked... and that's all she wrote.