1995 Nebraska / Washington State game

cb1954

I'm having a "discussion" with someone on youtube, about the 95 Wazzu game. He says the Huskers struggled to scratch out a victory and played few second team players.

I remember the game and the Cougars did have a great effort. But I am sure NU did play the second team although when WSU scored in the 4th quarter to make it closer Nebraska did put the 1st unit back in. Anyway leading 28-7 in the 4th and winning 35-21 is hardly a struggle.

Anybody have a video to shed some light on this? I live out of state and can't go to library to read game review in newspaper archive.

Remind me why we changed offenses again?

Because the option is "outdated". <_<

Even though Callahan put the final nail in the coffin, the offense change significantly under Solich. If you watch games from the Osborne era and then you watch Solich games, the reliance on the quarterback is far more important for Solich. What Osborne had was truly amazing at times.

I'm having a "discussion" with someone on youtube, about the 95 Wazzu game. He says the Huskers struggled to scratch out a victory and played few second team players.

I remember the game and the Cougars did have a great effort. But I am sure NU did play the second team although when WSU scored in the 4th quarter to make it closer Nebraska did put the 1st unit back in. Anyway leading 28-7 in the 4th and winning 35-21 is hardly a struggle.

Anybody have a video to shed some light on this? I live out of state and can't go to library to read game review in newspaper archive.

Who's moderating this debate? David Brinkley? Oh wait, he's dead. Commenting on youtube=waste of time. :snacks:

Probably the tightest game of that year, so I too remember it as a nail biter.

Yeah but I am pretty sure we beat ourselves more than they did. Didn't we have like 5 fumbles losing 3 or something like that.

Something like that, and we had a couple drives that ended inside the 10 that we kicked field goals. We outrushed them 428-72, and while we didn't go 4 or 5 deep on the depth chart, we did let the 2nds and 3rds play quite a bit in the 2nd half when we had a 3 TD lead. We also let time run out on WSU's 1 yard line, so we could have probably punched in another TD.

It was our closest game of the year, but it wasn't as close as the final score indicated.

I believe Washington State was at the Rose Bowl 2 years later against Michigan. 1997 was it?

My younger brother were at the NU vs WSU game then in 1995. On the HUSKERS end zone I don't know how many rows up. It was an exciting day of football. Its too bad they didn't show when something like 9 WSU defenders try to bring down Green, and he keeps going then the play goes out of bounds and Green is bouncing around showing his power and being all fired up after the play.

In addition, I had KFAB going in a headset, and Pavelka said, "We've been to some big games here at Memorial Stadium, and this has to be louder than anything we ever heard". The crowd was going nuts that day.