Boise State ranked #3 in AP poll

GMoose

You reward top seeds by giving them a bye or home field advantage, or at the very least they will play lower seeded teams. NFL teams rarely rest starters when they just make the playoffs, it's usually only when they've secured their exact spot and have nothing more to gain. With a lot more NCAA teams, I don't see how a team can have a specific spot secured, so by tanking a game they would lose home field advantage or face a tougher opponent. All you have to do is structure the playoffs to make the rewards of spots 1-4 better than 5-8, and those better than 9-12. Just because you can cut and paste your comments each time doesn't mean they are the end-all of the discussion.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. I know earlier I mentioned about cutting and pasting comments but no where did I say they were any more relevant than anyone else's opinion. (For the record I didn't cut and paste). I can't agree about a playoff being a good thing. I love college football the way it is. I would have no problem splitting titles (in the case of 3 undefeated teams and 2 play and the other gets the next best opponent) or having a one game if there were 4 undefeated teams deserving but how often will that happen? To me throwing a playoff in and including one-loss teams in with the undefeated teams or 2 loss teams in with a bunch of one loss teams is a waste of hard earned regular season wins.

You would have thought NU making it to the MNC in 2001 against Miami would have been enough to knock some sense into them...

:yeah

I also have to admit that I did giggle when the OP posted "I think either way MAJOR questions are going to pick up speed about the BCS. What if they go and lose by 3 TD's? For one, that year's champion will always be remembered as a sham"

99- VT lost by 17

01- Nebraska lost by 23

04- OU lost by 36

06- OSU lost by 27

07- OSU lost by 14

09- UT lost by 16

DO we question those champions?? How about every title in CFB before the current system? I favor a playoff, but to downgrade a team like Boise, and thinking it proves anything if they lose, just because they are from a small conference is the same as giving NE a game they had no business in just because they have history and are from a big conference. Either way its stupid.

BTW, Boise has proven a hell of a lot more than a team like Nebraska has in recent history. If you wanted to debate the merits of those two teams and who deserves a top 10 ranking this preseason it wouldnt even be an arguement. Boise is not Appaliation state. They are not a one time wonder. They are for real, they are a good team and they do return nearly every major player from a 14-0 team that won a BCS game. They second BSC win for the school in the last 4 seasons. I think they have proven enough should they get to the title game.

None of those teams are WAC schools though. What if Boise goes undefeated and faces Bama in the MNC and loses by 3 TDs, meanwhile 11-1 Ohio State shellacs Oregon in the Rose bowl, twice as bad as last year? You don't think they're would be major questions about the credibility of the system is that happened?

And I didn't say anything about the merits of those two teams in recent years, or Nebraska at all for that matter, but how could you possibly avoid taking a shot at NU? ;)

Does it matter that they are not WAC schools?? Whats the difference between a WAC team getting beat by 21 points or the big 12 teams on that list getting beat by 16, 23 & 36?? Just because you have some perception that because a team plays in a weak confence and only has one or two tough games a year that they should not be included? Or that somehow that shames the champion? What if a past champion played teams with a combined sub .500 record? Would that team deserve that championship? Because there are a number of teams that have had that happen. Should Nebraska give back the 1970 title? They only played 2 teams that were above average or poor, and those teams were 7-4 and 9-3. The rest of their schedule was littered with 5-6 and 6-5 teams. CFB history is filled with teams like that. Its not like that BIG 8 was filled with world beaters. It was a weak confernce. NE had 1, maybe 2 tough games a year before their bowl.

Its not bashing NE. Its just this is a NE board and you are a NE fan. Plus it makes a good example because they played in a weak conference and played for MNC's. Truth is, IMO, Boise's schedule this year is pretty similar, maybe even more harder than Nebraska's. NE fans are worried about a non con road game against a team that was 5-7. Two toughest games are at home (MU and TX) and the rest of the schedule is filled with weaklings with the exception of ATM and nobody knows what they will do.

Boise plays at VT and hosts LSU & Oregon st. They then have maybe 1 conference game and the rest are cupcakes.

I guess to me its doesnt matter, if your a good team you are a good team no matter where you play.

I see what you're saying and I agree. If a team is the best, they're the best. But you don't think the perception and outlook would change at all if this year's champion shellacked Boise State? Even if they were truly the second best team, the fact that they were from a non-AQ school would no doubt change the perception IMO, especially if #3 were a one loss Big10 team or something.

You would have thought NU making it to the MNC in 2001 against Miami would have been enough to knock some sense into them...

:yeah

I also have to admit that I did giggle when the OP posted "I think either way MAJOR questions are going to pick up speed about the BCS. What if they go and lose by 3 TD's? For one, that year's champion will always be remembered as a sham"

99- VT lost by 17

01- Nebraska lost by 23

04- OU lost by 36

06- OSU lost by 27

07- OSU lost by 14

09- UT lost by 16

DO we question those champions?? How about every title in CFB before the current system? I favor a playoff, but to downgrade a team like Boise, and thinking it proves anything if they lose, just because they are from a small conference is the same as giving NE a game they had no business in just because they have history and are from a big conference. Either way its stupid.

BTW, Boise has proven a hell of a lot more than a team like Nebraska has in recent history. If you wanted to debate the merits of those two teams and who deserves a top 10 ranking this preseason it wouldnt even be an arguement. Boise is not Appaliation state. They are not a one time wonder. They are for real, they are a good team and they do return nearly every major player from a 14-0 team that won a BCS game. They second BSC win for the school in the last 4 seasons. I think they have proven enough should they get to the title game.

None of those teams are WAC schools though. What if Boise goes undefeated and faces Bama in the MNC and loses by 3 TDs, meanwhile 11-1 Ohio State shellacs Oregon in the Rose bowl, twice as bad as last year? You don't think they're would be major questions about the credibility of the system is that happened?

And I didn't say anything about the merits of those two teams in recent years, or Nebraska at all for that matter, but how could you possibly avoid taking a shot at NU? ;)

Does it matter that they are not WAC schools?? Whats the difference between a WAC team getting beat by 21 points or the big 12 teams on that list getting beat by 16, 23 & 36?? Just because you have some perception that because a team plays in a weak confence and only has one or two tough games a year that they should not be included? Or that somehow that shames the champion? What if a past champion played teams with a combined sub .500 record? Would that team deserve that championship? Because there are a number of teams that have had that happen. Should Nebraska give back the 1970 title? They only played 2 teams that were above average or poor, and those teams were 7-4 and 9-3. The rest of their schedule was littered with 5-6 and 6-5 teams. CFB history is filled with teams like that. Its not like that BIG 8 was filled with world beaters. It was a weak confernce. NE had 1, maybe 2 tough games a year before their bowl.

Its not bashing NE. Its just this is a NE board and you are a NE fan. Plus it makes a good example because they played in a weak conference and played for MNC's. Truth is, IMO, Boise's schedule this year is pretty similar, maybe even more harder than Nebraska's. NE fans are worried about a non con road game against a team that was 5-7. Two toughest games are at home (MU and TX) and the rest of the schedule is filled with weaklings with the exception of ATM and nobody knows what they will do.

Boise plays at VT and hosts LSU & Oregon st. They then have maybe 1 conference game and the rest are cupcakes.

I guess to me its doesnt matter, if your a good team you are a good team no matter where you play.

I see what you're saying and I agree. If a team is the best, they're the best. But you don't think the perception and outlook would change at all if this year's champion shellacked Boise State? Even if they were truly the second best team, the fact that they were from a non-AQ school would no doubt change the perception IMO, especially if #3 were a one loss Big10 team or something.

I think it will for the casual fan or non fans. I think the die hards will understand and know that its no diffenrent than any other year. And maybe thats whats needed, no matter how wrong it may be, to get us to a playoff system. It is the only real way for things to work themselves out. And for those that say it makes the regular season worthless they are completely wrong. You are basing the playoffs in CFB like those in the NFL. There are 12 teams out of 32 in the NFL that make it. You see teams coast in, rest players, and so on. Division II is not like that. There are 153 teams, 24 make it to the playoffs. 4 regions, top 6 teams in the region. Now you dont have to do something that large, but there are 119 D-1 schools, and if only the top 8 make it, how does the regular season not count? A GT 11-2 team and a Iowa 10-2 team would have been left out last year. I think a playoff is the way to go and the Regular season will mean just as much as it currently does.