QB Race

Not sure how many of you have seen the message board rumblings lately, but here is what Steve Sipple says about the QB race as of about an hour ago (per Twitter):

"Lots of buzz about Taylor Martinez taking a big step forward in #Huskers QB race. One source gives me this advice: Believe the buzz."

Also several other posters on various boards are hearing big things about T-Mart right now. I don't know about anyone else, but I just want the season to get here. This stuff just gets me so excited for the opener, only to realize that we still have 2 weeks.

Not sure how many of you have seen the message board rumblings lately, but here is what Steve Sipple says about the QB race as of about an hour ago (per Twitter):

"Lots of buzz about Taylor Martinez taking a big step forward in #Huskers QB race. One source gives me this advice: Believe the buzz."

Also several other posters on various boards are hearing big things about T-Mart right now. I don't know about anyone else, but I just want the season to get here. This stuff just gets me so excited for the opener, only to realize that we still have 2 weeks.

Yep, saw that myself. I too believe it's gonna be Lee to start the season and his to lose. The future is certainly bright for Martinez and I bet we see a good bit of him in the first two games.

I also think that the #1 spot is Zacs to lose.

Could Cody have fallen down to a possible #3 behind martinesz?

I doubt it but we have yet to hear anything definetive from the staff regarding anyone to step forward as a front runner, and i dont expect to hear anything different until maybe the day of Western Kentucky.

I wish this were game week and we had a clear cut favorite at QB(maybe we do and we havent been informed yet?).

i have been saying it since the middle of last season, i lean towards Lee right now just based on experience but i wouldnt be at all surprised to see Martinez running the show and i know ill get bashed for this but i dont ever see Green becoming the official season starter unless he makes some vast improvement and imo he needs to make a lot of improvement from what i have seen....

• Fire 1

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

"He`s going to make defenses defend 11-on-11."

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

that may be so but being a great runner will automatically make you a decent passer because the defense has to crowd the line to make sure that you dont take off on them. if they do crowd the line then all you have to do is throw it over the line and if they dont crowd the line then we will gladly take those 10 yard chunks on the ground from the qb.

From Sipple's article:

Writes Woelk:

Pretty sure even he could hit the 5 yard outs and screen passes that Watson calls. Lets not make out that Zac Lee was superman when he was really Jimmy Olsen in this offense.

Zac wasn't a world-beater by any means, but knowing how to make reads and having the skill and arm to make throws are not to be taken for granted. There are no easy passes. Maybe we threw a lot of short passes with Ganz, who didn't have that downfield arm, but last year we made a fair living off the deep ball, even with what limited passing we were doing. We have one of the most talented senior receivers in the country this year and a legit deep threat in Paul - so I say let's not waste that.

I'm not taking this for much of anything. Rivals had an article yesterday that said the quarterback race is becoming "clearer", so this could mean almost anything. Given experience, people are right when they say this is Lee's job to lose, and the Rivals writers (as well as LJS/OWH writers) have said all along they get the impression Lee is the guy people are leaning towards right now.

To me, this quarterback race is all about who is going to be number 2 on the depth chart. All this quarterback race talk is just to get people through the off-season. It's a safe bet to assume that Lee is going to be our starter this year and that Green/Martinez are now battling out to see who becomes the viable back up.