QB Race

The Martinez/Lee thing is moot for the fanbase at this point. Our entire picture of the situation is painting with colors provided by reporters. Reporters who get about fifteen minutes of stretches to report before they're booted out. If Martinez trots out there against WKU, it will be because the coaches think that he gives this team the best chance to win a championship this year. Same story for Lee. Same story for Green. If it's Taylor, it means they think he is enough of a baller to compensate for his inexperience.

• Fire 1

Give me a qb who has an upside over that any day of the week. Results beats experience.

I think all anyone has been asking you for this whole time is, who is that QB, and on what do you base that "upside?"

I would say any of the QB's might have a better upside then the one that struggles to score one td a game, or is that the high water mark for this offense? What are you afraid of that they might score more then one td? <_<

You willing to risk a possible MNC season on that little caveat????

I, for one, am not. Experience (when you have a dominant defense) beats potential.

Seems like Nebraska already risked a MNC last year with this offense and QB going the consevative route.

Glad Osborne didn't think like this back in 92 and tried putting in a freshman over a injured qb that wasn't getting the job done. (No I'm not stating one of these QB is another Frazier or even Berringer but unless you give all of them a fair chance no one will know how well they could or could'nt play.)

Our offense stunk last year. We didn't have the line or receivers to score points. Sometimes a playmaker, especially a guy who can use his feet, can compensate for some of that. Last year at least, Lee wasn't that kind of guy. I'm guessing he's not this year either. He doesn't even look like a quarterback. I, for one, don't want to go out there and score 17 a game each week hoping we can hold the opponent to 16 or less. Everybody makes mistakes. If we have a guy who can reasonably limit those mistakes and cause the opposing D some trouble, unlike Lee, play him! :yeah

I found Steve Sipple's article on "Game manager or game changer?" to be very intriguing. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/24/football/doc4c7337afcf40f860118970.txt

It really throws into question which kind of QB do we need this year, a game manager (Zac Lee) or a game changer (Cody Green or Taylor Martinez). My pick is a game manager. My reason for that is, i don't really rely on a fresh playermaker to control my offense unless I am in a bind or my game manager isn't managing things very well on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see a reason this year to call upon a young game changer if a veteran game manager can win the game.

I wonder what your choice would be if the game changer name was Ganz? For good or Ill he was not a game manager.

Feel free to disagree, but I would argue that Ganz was exactly a game manager.

Very little in the way of physical tools. Ganz could take off and run some, but he wasn't fast or strong. He flat out could not stretch the field with downfield passing or the deep ball.

But what he had was a in-depth knowledge of the offense and the ability to run it. As well as dependable but not game-changing receivers like Swift and Peterson to throw to.

That and he was 100% a gamer.

Ganz, Taylor - to me, they are both top-notch game managers that showed us what we can have with a smart QB in the system that doesn't necessarily have the physical attributes to be 'game changers.' Neither, by the way, has even comparable arm strength or athletic ability to Lee.

Practice report for those interseted....

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/practice_report_short_and_tweet.html

Practice report: Short and tweet

Posted by: Steve Sipple on August 24, 2010 at 7:38PM CST

Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini kept it short and Tweet in his post-practice meeting with reporters Tuesday.

He said Tuesday's practice -- the second since classes began Monday -- was OK, but not up to his liking.

"We have a long way to go yet," he said.

He had no meaningful update on the quarterback situation. Asked if there was a chance Nebraska could rotate quarterbacks this season, he said, "There's a chance we could play 10 guys. Anything can happen."

He said we'll find out the starting quarterback on Sept. 4 -- the day of Nebraska's opener against Western Kentucky.

"I'm not answering any quarterback questions," he said.

Based on Bo's comments, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a release of an official depth chart.

"Guys who trot out there for the first play are the starters. Until then, it's a competition to see who steps up," he said.

He said the team's focus is fine.

He said there have been no significant injuries in the past two practices.

Elsewhere, there's been lots of buzz about a tweet, of all things. Folks desperate for clues about Nebraska's quarterback situation were all atwitter Tuesday over the following tweet from someone using the "Twitter" name "TaylorMartinez3" (maybe it's really Taylor Martinez, maybe not): "Dreams Come True When You Work Hard And Pray."

TaylorMartinez3's tweet message eventually was removed.

Asked about his players using Twitter, Bo said, "If people have time to follow Twittering and tweeting, they need to get a job."

Pelini said he hadn't heard about the supposed Martinez tweet.

The coach did say Nebraska has a policy regarding players tweeting, though he didn't elaborate.

"Asked about his players using Twitter, Bo said, "If people have time to follow Twittering and tweeting, they need to get a job.""

Seems a little hypocritical considering Bo has a twitter account.

But I dont think he uses it constantly with "instant status updates", I believe that is the point he is tryin to get across.

:dunno:dunno

"Asked about his players using Twitter, Bo said, "If people have time to follow Twittering and tweeting, they need to get a job.""

Anyone can make a fake twitter account. Michaeljacksondancesfromthegrave04???? Are we really to assume the tweets are from MJ????

Anyone can make a fake twitter account. Michaeljacksondancesfromthegrave04???? Are we really to assume the tweets are from MJ????

I follow thefaketomosborne. funny stuff.

I found Steve Sipple's article on "Game manager or game changer?" to be very intriguing. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/24/football/doc4c7337afcf40f860118970.txt

It really throws into question which kind of QB do we need this year, a game manager (Zac Lee) or a game changer (Cody Green or Taylor Martinez). My pick is a game manager. My reason for that is, i don't really rely on a fresh playermaker to control my offense unless I am in a bind or my game manager isn't managing things very well on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see a reason this year to call upon a young game changer if a veteran game manager can win the game.

I wonder what your choice would be if the game changer name was Ganz? For good or Ill he was not a game manager.

Feel free to disagree, but I would argue that Ganz was exactly a game manager.

Very little in the way of physical tools. Ganz could take off and run some, but he wasn't fast or strong. He flat out could not stretch the field with downfield passing or the deep ball.

But what he had was a in-depth knowledge of the offense and the ability to run it. As well as dependable but not game-changing receivers like Swift and Peterson to throw to.

That and he was 100% a gamer.

Ganz, Taylor - to me, they are both top-notch game managers that showed us what we can have with a smart QB in the system that doesn't necessarily have the physical attributes to be 'game changers.' Neither, by the way, has even comparable arm strength or athletic ability to Lee.

I would equate a game manager as that of someone not prone to make mistakes (turnovers) and does little to cost the team a chance of losing the game. The downside is lack of offense and scoring.

Now a game changer is someone that will try and takeover a game for good or bad. The good results is a offense that moves and and TD'S the bad being turnovers (int, ints for td's, fumbles) and put the defense in bad situations.

Now thinking back to Colorado game of 2007, missou game of 2008 and Oklahoma of 2008 which class would you put Ganz?

• Fire 1

No, but I am ready to accept the fact that Bo has a verified twitter account.