QB Race

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

Please stop with this myth. It's entirely untrue.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

This.

He was a distant 3rd going into fall camp. Since he "missed" that practice that friday he made a HUGE jump. He had a tremendous camp.

Um, no. Not "this." Martinez was the scout Team QB last year, just like Zac Lee, Joe Ganz, and Sam Keller have all been.

Um, yes. That. He was working at WR during the bowl preparations and that is a fact. The part that enhance said about a late offer from a school willing to make the committment to making him a quarterback could have stolen him away is true as well. Nobody is disputing that he was the scout team QB last year. Who else was going to run the scout team? Green and Lee both worked with the 1s.

• Fire 1

I think Tim Tebow won a few awards at the college level in the SEC no less, yet he's the third string QB behind Brady Quinn in the NFL. Previously accolades can mean very little when one moves up to the next level. Especially at quarterback. Remember, Martinez wasn't even recruited to play QB.

???

It is entirely true. In fact even as of bowl practices last year Martinez was not working at QB. Had our QB depth not been what it was, his supposed "shot" would have been a token one. There was even some speculation that a school might throw an offer for QB at him late to try and steal him from us, but it never materialized.

This.

He was a distant 3rd going into fall camp. Since he "missed" that practice that friday he made a HUGE jump. He had a tremendous camp.

Um, no. Not "this." Martinez was the scout Team QB last year, just like Zac Lee, Joe Ganz, and Sam Keller have all been.

Um, yes. That. He was working at WR during the bowl preparations and that is a fact. The part that enhance said about a late offer from a school willing to make the committment to making him a quarterback could have stolen him away is true as well. Nobody is disputing that he was the scout team QB last year. Who else was going to run the scout team? Green and Lee both worked with the 1s.

LTW, Ron Kellogg?

???

This.

I never disputed him working out with the WR's. I disputed the fact that he wasn't brought in as a QB first. As for the Scout Team, Kellogg or Washington could have run it, easily.

Didnt he split time on the scout team at QB with Ron Kellogg Jr.?

I believe he did when we needed an "immobile" QB. However, Martinez took the snaps for any QB that could run.

You are extremely wrong on Martinez.

Here's the OFFICIAL Nebraska release on recruits from 2009 that lists Martinez as an ATHLETE, and Green as a QB.

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=3660376

Martinez played QB a bit on the scout team, but Ron Kellogg played it the vast majority of the time. Martinez operated at WR the vast majority of the time last year.

In fact Kellogg was even named scout team MVP for his efforts last year.

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=3662486

Martinez notes about last year

2009 (Redshirt)

Martinez redshirted in his first season in the program and worked on the scout team.

And Kellogg's

2009 (Redshirt)

Kellogg quarterbacked the scout team, and earned Scout Team MVP honors.

And last but not least here's the writeup on Martinez from when he signed saying he could play on either side of the ball.

Taylor Martinez

ATH, 6-1, 185, Corona, Calif. (Centennial HS)

Taylor Martinez is a talented all-around athlete who has the ability to

play on either side of the ball at Nebraska. One of six Californians in

Nebraska's 2009 recruiting class, Martinez compiled huge numbers

as a quarterback during his senior season. The 6-0, 175-pounder

also has shown outstanding ability on defense and could be a factor

in the Nebraska secondary in the future. Martinez was a dual threat

quarterback for Coach Matt Logan at Corona's Centennial High School

during his senior season. Martinez passed for better than 3,000 yards

and threw 28 touchdowns, while completing about 61 percent of his

attempts. On the ground, Martinez added 750 rushing yards and 12

touchdowns. His play helped Centennial to a perfect 15-0 season and

a state championship, culminated by a victory over prep powerhouse

De La Salle High, when Martinez threw for 243 yards. Centennial High

finished No. 2 nationally in the USA Today's final high school rankings.

Martinez was named the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and

also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year

Award. The award is named in honor of the 1946 Heisman winner

from Army. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was also the

Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year. Martinez spent only one

season at Centennial High School. As a junior, he played quarterback

at San Bernadino Cajon High and accounted for about 1,500 yards of

total offense. Martinez spent his freshman and sophomore seasons

at Norco High, where he earned the majority of his playing time in

the secondary. Martinez is ranked among the top "athlete" prospects

in the nation by Rivals.com, while Scout.com lists him among the top

50 quarterbacks in the nation. He is listed among the top 50 players

in California by both Rivals.com and SuperPrep. Martinez committed

to Nebraska last August and only visited the Huskers. He is the son of

Casey Martinez and Eti Fania and was born on Sept. 15, 1990.

Didnt he split time on the scout team at QB with Ron Kellogg Jr.?

I believe he did when we needed an "immobile" QB. However, Martinez took the snaps for any QB that could run.

You are extremely wrong on Martinez.

Here's the OFFICIAL Nebraska release on recruits from 2009 that lists Martinez as an ATHLETE, and Green as a QB.

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=3660376

Martinez played QB a bit on the scout team, but Ron Kellogg played it the vast majority of the time. Martinez operated at WR the vast majority of the time last year.

In fact Kellogg was even named scout team MVP for his efforts last year.

http://www.huskers.c...&ATCLID=3662486

Martinez notes about last year

2009 (Redshirt)

Martinez redshirted in his first season in the program and worked on the scout team.

And Kellogg's

2009 (Redshirt)

Kellogg quarterbacked the scout team, and earned Scout Team MVP honors.

And last but not least here's the writeup on Martinez from when he signed saying he could play on either side of the ball.

Taylor Martinez

ATH, 6-1, 185, Corona, Calif. (Centennial HS)

Taylor Martinez is a talented all-around athlete who has the ability to

play on either side of the ball at Nebraska. One of six Californians in

Nebraska's 2009 recruiting class, Martinez compiled huge numbers

as a quarterback during his senior season. The 6-0, 175-pounder

also has shown outstanding ability on defense and could be a factor

in the Nebraska secondary in the future. Martinez was a dual threat

quarterback for Coach Matt Logan at Corona's Centennial High School

during his senior season. Martinez passed for better than 3,000 yards

and threw 28 touchdowns, while completing about 61 percent of his

attempts. On the ground, Martinez added 750 rushing yards and 12

touchdowns. His play helped Centennial to a perfect 15-0 season and

a state championship, culminated by a victory over prep powerhouse

De La Salle High, when Martinez threw for 243 yards. Centennial High

finished No. 2 nationally in the USA Today's final high school rankings.

Martinez was named the Big VIII League's Most Valuable Player and

also earned the Los Angeles Times' Glen Davis Player-of-the-Year

Award. The award is named in honor of the 1946 Heisman winner

from Army. A first-team all-state selection, Martinez was also the

Inland Division Offensive Player of the Year. Martinez spent only one

season at Centennial High School. As a junior, he played quarterback

at San Bernadino Cajon High and accounted for about 1,500 yards of

total offense. Martinez spent his freshman and sophomore seasons

at Norco High, where he earned the majority of his playing time in

the secondary. Martinez is ranked among the top "athlete" prospects

in the nation by Rivals.com, while Scout.com lists him among the top

50 quarterbacks in the nation. He is listed among the top 50 players

in California by both Rivals.com and SuperPrep. Martinez committed

to Nebraska last August and only visited the Huskers. He is the son of

Casey Martinez and Eti Fania and was born on Sept. 15, 1990.

Sigh, I guess I have to post this here too.

"OMG.... how hard is this to comprehend. I know he was signed because he could play multiple positions. Where did I dispute that?

HOWEVER, it was stated, MULTIPLE TIMES, that he was going to start at QB. If that failed, he could move to a different spot. That's all I'm saying."

Also, I'm not "extremely wrong" at all. What I'm saying was repeated multiple times on Scout.com, both through official, and unofficial channels.

i think it was gmoose who said this earlier, but i do not remember, i do remember it being a great point. if t-mart is the starting qb, we take paul, mcneil, kinnie, and almost everyone other than helu and burkhead out of the equation on offense. he maybe be the better athlete, but he will not be better at distributing the ball than LEE. and we have a strong enough backfield that we do not necessarily need a qb who can run. burkhead can run the wildcat with helu, and then LEE can pass or hand off the ball. he may not be the best qb on the team, but he might be the best for the team. too bad green was not a better passer, then he would be the perfect guy right in between lee and t-mart.

• Fire 1

What ever he was or could have been, he is a QB at Nebraska now. And I am damned happy about it. His list of accomplishments are truly amazing. How lucky we are that this level of athlete chose Nebraska, without question.

Could we quit the bashing of all of our QB's, each other, and just be thankful we have this battle going on. Bo and staff have been doing this job and getting paid thousands and thousands of dollars to do it for years. It would seem we should trust in their judgement, unless some on here have more talent and knowledge. Please speak up and let us know who you are.

• Fire 3

Could we quit the bashing of all of our QB's, each other, and just be thankful we have this battle going on. Bo and staff have been doing this job and getting paid thousands and thousands of dollars to do it for years. It would seem we should trust in their judgement, unless some on here have more talent and knowledge. Please speak up and let us know who you are.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

We need a standing ovation emoticon. Well said, sir.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

We need a standing ovation emoticon. Well said, sir.

:cheers

i think it was gmoose who said this earlier, but i do not remember, i do remember it being a great point. if t-mart is the starting qb, we take paul, mcneil, kinnie, and almost everyone other than helu and burkhead out of the equation on offense. he maybe be the better athlete, but he will not be better at distributing the ball than LEE. and we have a strong enough backfield that we do not necessarily need a qb who can run. burkhead can run the wildcat with helu, and then LEE can pass or hand off the ball. he may not be the best qb on the team, but he might be the best for the team. too bad green was not a better passer, then he would be the perfect guy right in between lee and t-mart.

you play the player that will best move the offense, not the player that will best distribute the ball or run the ball. the player that moves it best between the goal posts will be the starting qb at dear old Nebraska U.

This kid who was just along for the ride? Played from the 2nd game to the end with an injury to his throwing arm. Biting the bullet and doing the best job he could. Do you really believe that no one on the team knew he was hurt? The coaches, the doctors and all the players knew nothing of this injury? Or did they all know from day one. The kid leads by action, desire, loyalty and love of Nebraska. And we as fans seem to throw him under the bus everytime we get the opportunity.

He may not be the best QB, but he was obviously the best we had last year. My guess is he will be again this year, and hopefully, for the type of person he is, he plays as some demand him to.

This is what I've been singing for months. Some on here seem to think it was "not a big deal" and that this injury was somehow not the reason for the poor play. These people have obviously never played a position that focuses on one area of the body, let alone injured that body part bad enough to require surgery, and then had the nuts to have still played EVERY GAME.

Oh, and please, don't give me this "he was a poor runner, poor thrower, couldn't move the offense" crap. If that is your contention, and you still are clinging to a injury requiring surgery "wasn't that big of deal", maybe a dismantled and depleted offensive line was.

I was critical of Lee last year as well, wanted to try Green. We did, Lee was better, that's simple. What I didn't know is that Lee was better WITHOUT A THROWING ARM. Think about that for a second.

His wrist was injured bad enough to require surgery. He played through that pain, changing the way he did everything to make up for it. As a result of this, he tears a ligament in his elbow. HIS WRIST AND ELBOW WERE BOTH INJURED ON HIS THROWING ARM and he proved he was better than anybody else. Good Lord people, wake up and put down the recruiting hype.

I seem to remember another QB leading NU to a 10 win season with an underperforming offense and a great defense. Fans were chanting for his backup as well saying some of the same things we are hearing now, then NU went to Washington early in the season and this QB had a coming out party. Scott Frost only led NU to the National Championship.

So you're putting all of your eggs in Lee's (maybe he'll be better and maybe he'll be the same) basket? It also sounds like you don't want one of the young guys to be improving to the point where he passes Lee. I hope Green or Martinez becomes the best qb in the history of Nebraska football. Yet you hold tight to the guy who the coaches felt they needed to bring in a point guard with one year of eligibility just in case. If that is not bad enough, he played the entire year and underwhelmed. I believe if Green or TMart gets in you will hope they lose us a game so you can be right. I've seen this Lee and he's not too good. If no one can beat him out this year, we are in sad shape at qb! They should all transfer and we can start fresh next year with Carnes, Turner and Starling (although I believe we will be watching him play all-star level baseball by the time he would have been a fifth year senior at NU). But I believe someone other than Lee will emerge and I also believe it will be Martinez in the end. Unless he is injured, he will finish the year leading the Husker offense, not because I want him to, but because he can and no one else is capable. Sad but true! :LOLtartar

P.S. Skersfan, I believe I just have.

you play the player that will best move the offense, not the player that will best distribute the ball or run the ball. the player that moves it best between the goal posts will be the starting qb at dear old Nebraska U.

Exactly. We already know who can't. Yes it was high school, but if you make mistakes and don't find a way to get first downs you don't go undefeated and win the California state championship. Also, it may be just practice, but he's pushing Lee and they are both going against the same college D. :restore

• Fire 1

the player the best distributes the ball will be the player that will best move the offense. if we can not pass at all, we will be too one-dimensional (i.e., how we had to play against texas). maybe t-mart will have good enough feet and we will be able to run well enough that passing will open up and an average passer will be able to adequately distribute the ball, but we need to be diverse and get the ball to all of our play makers.

also, i sensed a tone in your reply, i do not know how i feel about that.