QB Race

i think it was gmoose who said this earlier, but i do not remember, i do remember it being a great point. if t-mart is the starting qb, we take paul, mcneil, kinnie, and almost everyone other than helu and burkhead out of the equation on offense. he maybe be the better athlete, but he will not be better at distributing the ball than LEE. and we have a strong enough backfield that we do not necessarily need a qb who can run. burkhead can run the wildcat with helu, and then LEE can pass or hand off the ball. he may not be the best qb on the team, but he might be the best for the team. too bad green was not a better passer, then he would be the perfect guy right in between lee and t-mart.

Yes, LEE "distributed" endless 3 & outs all last year. I'm guessing Green or Tmart could hand the ball off too.

• Fire 1

i think it was gmoose who said this earlier, but i do not remember, i do remember it being a great point. if t-mart is the starting qb, we take paul, mcneil, kinnie, and almost everyone other than helu and burkhead out of the equation on offense. he maybe be the better athlete, but he will not be better at distributing the ball than LEE. and we have a strong enough backfield that we do not necessarily need a qb who can run. burkhead can run the wildcat with helu, and then LEE can pass or hand off the ball. he may not be the best qb on the team, but he might be the best for the team. too bad green was not a better passer, then he would be the perfect guy right in between lee and t-mart.

Yes, LEE "distributed" endless 3 & outs all last year. I'm guessing Green or Tmart could hand the ball off too.

The only thing that is endless is your blaming of Lee for all of the offensive woes last year. I can think of one three (at va tech) where lee had one touchdown pass dropped, anothr called back for holding, next thng you know a 1st and goal form the one has turned inot 4th and goal from the 41 with noting to do with Lee. However you keep mentioning the 3 and outs like it was all Lee's fault. I can't wait for the season to start so I no longer have to read coments like the one above. I woudl asume that almost 50% of your posts either take a shot at either Lee or Watson.

i guess the injured and depleted o-line had nothing to do with that. i am sure t-mart or green will get the o-line to stay healthy and play better for them.

these debates are tiresome. i really do not appreciate all of the sarcasm. i honestly do not care who starts at qb as long as they are the best one for the team, i am just trying to put some ideas out there and some issues to consider. i do not know why it has to get so personal and negative, it really is ridiculous.

• Fire 1

you play the player that will best move the offense, not the player that will best distribute the ball or run the ball. the player that moves it best between the goal posts will be the starting qb at dear old Nebraska U.

the player the best distributes the ball will be the player that will best move the offense. if we can not pass at all, we will be too one-dimensional (i.e., how we had to play against texas). maybe t-mart will have good enough feet and we will be able to run well enough that passing will open up and an average passer will be able to adequately distribute the ball, but we need to be diverse and get the ball to all of our play makers.

also, i sensed a tone in your reply, i do not know how i feel about that.

Must have missed this above average arm Zac Lee had last year or do you have inside information from IBR about the QB's arms?. <_<

you play the player that will best move the offense, not the player that will best distribute the ball or run the ball. the player that moves it best between the goal posts will be the starting qb at dear old Nebraska U.

the player the best distributes the ball will be the player that will best move the offense. if we can not pass at all, we will be too one-dimensional (i.e., how we had to play against texas). maybe t-mart will have good enough feet and we will be able to run well enough that passing will open up and an average passer will be able to adequately distribute the ball, but we need to be diverse and get the ball to all of our play makers.

also, i sensed a tone in your reply, i do not know how i feel about that.

Must have missed this above average arm Zac Lee had last year or do you have inside information from IBR about the QB's arms?. <_<

peace out. i'm gone.

The only thing that is endless is your blaming of Lee for all of the offensive woes last year. I can think of one three (at va tech) where lee had one touchdown pass dropped, anothr called back for holding, next thng you know a 1st and goal form the one has turned inot 4th and goal from the 41 with noting to do with Lee. However you keep mentioning the 3 and outs like it was all Lee's fault. I can't wait for the season to start so I no longer have to read coments like the one above. I woudl asume that almost 50% of your posts either take a shot at either Lee or Watson.

Please show me "one" post where I blamed everything on Lee. There simply isn't one. Of course he wasn't all the problem.

I just don't understand why the hardcore denial of his poor performance. I just don't get it. Why wouldn't we want to have a qb who moves the offense? If it was a Gill, Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc that was returning I could see and understand the attitude.

NU needs to move the ball this year. We can't expect to win ten or more games this year punting the ball anywhere near as frequently as we did last year. The odds are way against that.

I too am tired of hearing the excuses that justify a repeat of last year. Tmart/Green "can't pass" or "distribute" the ball. Based on what? Even "if" that was true, could it be worse than last year's 101st rated pass offense? While possible, I highly doubt it.

There's negative thoughts flying both ways. Pretending there isn't doesn't change anything. Whoever wins the starting spot I'll back 100%. I just think if Tmart or Green wins it the results will be good and progress through the year will be better & better.

Bottom line...for NU to be great, we need a great qb.

I dont understand everyones love with Tmart. I know he is talented but to think he his gunna step in and tear up texas or the rest of the big 12 is crazy. And then people will say he will never be any good after he throws a couple picks like green. He has done nothing yet. Its one thing to be talented and have a good camp its another to read a def and make it work in a big game in front of 85,000 people. I think he can be good, same with cody. I think Zac will start and Tmart will have some special plays for him but cody is the #2 if you ask me. Everybody has written him off bc he struggled some during his FRESHMAN year. So did barkley at USC who was the #1 qb in that recruiting class. As did T Pryor his freshman year at ohio State. Just like most freshman will when they play. I just want the guy who will give us the best chance to win this year and that is Zac lee. I would bet money on it that Tmart is not the starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise let me know I will be more than happy to take your money!

Please show me "one" post where I blamed everything on Lee. There simply isn't one. Of course he wasn't all the problem.

I just don't understand why the hardcore denial of his poor performance. I just don't get it. Why wouldn't we want to have a qb who moves the offense? If it was a Gill, Frost, Frazier, Crouch, etc that was returning I could see and understand the attitude.

NU needs to move the ball this year. We can't expect to win ten or more games this year punting the ball anywhere near as frequently as we did last year. The odds are way against that.

I too am tired of hearing the excuses that justify a repeat of last year. Tmart/Green "can't pass" or "distribute" the ball. Based on what? Even "if" that was true, could it be worse than last year's 101st rated pass offense? While possible, I highly doubt it.

There's negative thoughts flying both ways. Pretending there isn't doesn't change anything. Whoever wins the starting spot I'll back 100%. I just think if Tmart or Green wins it the results will be good and progress through the year will be better & better.

Bottom line...for NU to be great, we need a great qb.

you cant be serious

Look, I don't want to argue semantics with you. Surely we can agree the qb is a very critical position on offense and the offense stunk to high heaven last year.

Of course the qb is responsible for a large degree of it's success or failure. Geesh....is that asking too much?

Again, I've never stated that Lee was the "only" problem with the offense. But obviously he was a big part of it.

I dont understand everyones love with Tmart. I know he is talented but to think he his gunna step in and tear up texas or the rest of the big 12 is crazy. And then people will say he will never be any good after he throws a couple picks like green. He has done nothing yet. Its one thing to be talented and have a good camp its another to read a def and make it work in a big game in front of 85,000 people. I think he can be good, same with cody. I think Zac will start and Tmart will have some special plays for him but cody is the #2 if you ask me. Everybody has written him off bc he struggled some during his FRESHMAN year. So did barkley at USC who was the #1 qb in that recruiting class. As did T Pryor his freshman year at ohio State. Just like most freshman will when they play. I just want the guy who will give us the best chance to win this year and that is Zac lee. I would bet money on it that Tmart is not the starter. Anyone who thinks otherwise let me know I will be more than happy to take your money!

It's called wishful thinking. We are already painfully aware that the others couldn't do it in front of 85,000 people, we are just hoping he can. If the tantrum about TMart is true, it just shows how badly he wants it and moreover, his belief that he is the best. Crouch was right, maybe TMart is too.

I feel that the people who want Lee to play are making a dangerous assumption - that we are going to be lights out on D, all 13 weeks, and we just need a handful of points and no major mistakes and we will be in position to win all of our games. There are no absolutes. We might fall off defensively, people may figure us out some weeks, we may go up against better athletes. There are no playoffs. You can't afford to lose a game and expect to take home all of the marbles. I'd rather be a little dangerous to other teams on offense this year. As to the suggestion that we have guys on offense that Lee just needs to be able to get the ball to, first, we don't have great players on offense, and second, the same would hold true for the other potential qb starters. Lee did not "make" plays last year. Let's hope this year's qb can. :espnsucks:

This is like reading a gigantic ode to "The Grass is Greener."

This thread - and ones like it sure to sprout up soon - will be even more entertaining when all the QB's look good in the non-con games. And then when whoever starts has any struggles against any team, the wolves will be out to tear that one down. Should be any interesting season with some part of the fanbase upset over whoever is currently starting.