QB Race

I just got off the phone with a friend, and he feels that T-Mart will start. Pretty close to the program.

I just find it hard to pass on experience, but this is a pretty easy game, get the bugs out and see what you really have on the field.

I think which ever way we go we will be in adequate hands. I know T-Mart is a tremendous talent. I know Zac knows the system. It is good that we have both. Going to be a great year for Nebraska I think.

I got a feeling that Zac will get some good PT, and that he will start by UW. Just a gut feeling.

The only thing I do not like is that we are evolving to this other offense when our OC is not the type of guy who is used to running this style of offense. But it is what it is.

I guess that's my beef with this as well. I don't want to see our offense move back in that direction - but I'll live with it and that's my personal bias.

In Bo's mind, and as others have stated, it boils down to do you want a game changer or a game manager. Zac isn't going to make the silly turnover that Taylor will do, but Taylor will make more big plays than the somewhat conservative Lee will.

Game changer vs game manager is one argument, but IMO it's separate from running QB vs pocket passer. Would Bo consider Sam Bradford a game manager to T. Pryor's game-changing abilities? I guess my point is that it doesn't take a running QB to be a game changer - just a good QB. Again with the bias, but I think I'm more on the conservative side here. If Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are just expert game managers, then that's my preference out of a QB.

The only thing that will tick me off royally is that if he goes with Taylor, he better have the leash long. Taylor will make stupid turnovers, but he will be putting him in there knowing this. If he makes a mistake, let him play through it, and continue to play through it over multiple games.

I guess this is why it wouldn't make sense to me at all for Taylor to be the option this year. If it's a given that he's going to make mistakes - and if we have a good option whose only fault is his style of play is more in tune with the OC than with the HC's future vision - why not let Taylor mature for a year and get some game experience without putting everything on his shoulders? The fanbase, for sure, will not be patient, and it just doesn't strike me as the type of situation where we should be taking all the mistakes and building slowly with a freshman QB.

You're right, the overriding isn't a big deal. I suppose it's just that I don't really agree with it. Of course, if it works, I'll come onboard. But playing armchair coach, I'm definitely skeptical. Of course - that's why Bo is coach and not me.

How much T.O. influence is involved? I realize he wants to stay out of it unless asked by the coaches, but has Bo and Shawn frequently requested his advice? The type of quarterbacks recruited leads me to think there's at least that possibility. After all, I'm talking about one of the greatest offensive minds of college football. :dunno

With our preseason ranking putting us into position, our defense keeping us in every game and our O Line (allegedly) improving enough to make the offense competitive, we actually have a shot at a MNC this year. I would be surprised if we put that shot in the hands of a redshirt freshman making the first starts of his career. If you're going to do that you have to be balls-out confident that this guy is so head-and-shoulders above the other guys on your team that he has to be in at QB.

If Bo puts him in, he had better be sure.

I agree that if Bo makes his bed with Taylor, he better be willing to sleep in it. I also think that the decision should be made based upon what's best for THIS season. If Bo truly believes that the mistakes Taylor will make will be overshadowed by the plays he will make and the edge he'll bring to this offense, so be it. But the Lee/Green soap opera that spread throughout the middle of last season has got to stop. At some point you have to make a decision and live with the consequences. QB is a position of leadership; it can't be subject to the same constant in season competition that you might find at RB or CB.

• Fire 1

I don't know, Taylor's a pretty good passer. Just look at this brilliant play he made in the Spring Game.

I don't know, i still say Kinnie did more of the work on that TD pass that Taylor did. I give Taylor the praise of completing a 20 something yard pass to the 2nd best reciever on the team against the 1st team defense, but i praise Kinnie more for staying on his feet and pushing his way into the endzone for the TD.

I don't know, Taylor's a pretty good passer. Just look at this brilliant play he made in the Spring Game.

I don't know, i still say Kinnie did more of the work on that TD pass that Taylor did. I give Taylor the praise of completing a 20 something yard pass to the 2nd best reciever on the team against the 1st team defense, but i praise Kinnie more for staying on his feet and pushing his way into the endzone for the TD.

Weren't you watching the video? If you looked to the left of the screen instead of focussing on Kinnie's distracting nonsense, you would have clearly seen Taylor going:

force-push.jpg

• Fire 1

Joking, sir. I was joking. ;)

FWIW, and as you well know, that was against a vanilla defense in a spring game (at least, vanilla according to the coaches). Then again, you might be saying that sarcastically. Damn internet.. :blink:

I will reserve mass heaps of praise/mass heaps of ridicule until I see what happens against Washington.