QB Race

Bottom line is this, we are fans, we don't know as much about the players as we think we know. The coaches will make the best decision for the team as a whole. IMO Zac is a decent QB.......AT BEST........he lacks some of the skills necessary to do the job, but that doesn't mean I won't support the guy if he gets the nod. Green and Martinez lack the experience, but they played very well tonight. Until we get some good competition we won't know how good anyone is. Zac did kinda get slapped in the face, but maybe the coaches are trying to send him a message if he is so cocky. Drop the attitude, we aren't going to just hand you anything.

Well they certainly send Dillard a message last year for 2 games :koolaid2:

This is exactly what gives credence to the "Lee's in the doghouse" rumors. Dillard didn't appear until the 3rd game last year, and he was far and away the best LB on that team. Could we be seeing the same thing with Lee? I doubt it, but it is definitely possible.

Crouch is probably one of the best athletes that has come through the program in recent years, but his QB game wouldn't work in this offense. I think the comparisons are for not. I don't think Crouch would start at QB in this offense. His arm is like a cannon, but the accuracy just wasn't there. I'm not knocking the guy. He's a legend and always will be. Option left, option right, option right, option left, play action to Wilson Thomas (On third and long) worked at the time, but eventually cost Frank his job.

I always take heat for this, but I'll say it anyway. I think Jamal Lord's athleticism always gets overlooked because the offense he was on was so vanilla and predictable. I think T-Mart has more talent than Lord, but it is a more realistic comparison.

By the way, bshirt, interview question for ya ;) What'd you think about all those horizontal WR screen passes that Watson was calling for Martinez? It's probably going to be a bigger part of the passing game with him at QB than otherwise.

lol!

Damn you zoogies. :laughpound

Oh, I still hate those things with a huge passion. But with a rocket ship at qb it may loosen things up somewhat on the end of the field I suppose. Heh...in summary I don't want them but of course SW loves them. He doesn't seem to be interested in my opinion though. :-)

My take is that Tmart is going to give opposing DCs multiple heart attacks this year. You'll love it zoogies!

A friend of mine lived on the same floor as Martinez last year and said he was one of the cockiest people he'd ever met and that no one on the floor or on the team liked him. My friend knows one of the walk on players pretty well and he said that Martinez flat out told him and other walk-ons that they didn't deserve to be on the team and that they were basically a waste of space. I would say he's a little cocky.

I'm sure that story didn't get twisted at all by jealousy or friends/family wishing their guy was getting the same kind of love as t-mart... that is if this is even coming from a reliable source, which I highly doubt. Watching post-game interviews, every guy smiled when talking about Taylor. If he were an arrogant jerk, I suspect players wouldn't love talking about him so much.

I'm not trying to bring the guy down at all. Having swagger and confidence is almost essential for being a successful quarterback and from what I saw Saturday Martinez is legit. The story about T-Mart isn't something that just came up after his big game, it was told to me a year ago when he was just basically a no name guy who was fighting to prove he deserved to even get a shot at qb. Its just a fact that as a person the guys kind of a jerk, but so are plenty of other guys his age. As for the teammates smiling and only saying good things about after the game... of course they would. He just put on a show as a red-freshmen. Plus they really only talked to Rex ( who I don't think could ever say anything not PC) and Niles who's cockier than anyone.

Crouch is probably one of the best athletes that has come through the program in recent years, but his QB game wouldn't work in this offense. I think the comparisons are for not. I don't think Crouch would start at QB in this offense. His arm is like a cannon, but the accuracy just wasn't there. I'm not knocking the guy. He's a legend and always will be. Option left, option right, option right, option left, play action to Wilson Thomas (On third and long) worked at the time, but eventually cost Frank his job.

I always take heat for this, but I'll say it anyway. I think Jamal Lord's athleticism always gets overlooked because the offense he was on was so vanilla and predictable. I think T-Mart has more talent than Lord, but it is a more realistic comparison.

Imho, "this offense" would be changed by Bo in about four nanoseconds if by miracle an Eric Crouch somehow appeared (and was eligible). No way he wouldn't use him "immediately". Just like he's doing right now in changing the offense for freshman Tmart. I'm sure it would be different from Frank's offense but he would be on the field at qb.

I thought Cody Green played well and he showed improvement. His passes looked pretty good and he even threw a 24 yd TD to Niles Paul.

But with the play of Taylor Martinez it begs the question: What will Cody Green do now? Will he continue to compete and try to win the starting job? Could he still win the starting job before this season is over? When Bubba Starling and Jamal Turner arrive on campus will he transfer? Lots of questions surrounding this young man.

I like Cody Green and hope he will continue to compete.

I thought Cody Green played well and he showed improvement. His passes looked pretty good and he even threw a 24 yd TD to Niles Paul.

But with the play of Taylor Martinez it begs the question: What will Cody Green do now? Will he continue to compete and try to win the starting job? Could he still win the starting job before this season is over? When Bubba Starling and Jamal Turner arrive on campus will he transfer? Lots of questions surrounding this young man.

I like Cody Green and hope he will continue to compete.

Last year his starting line of possision was the Husker 6 yard line.