QB Race

Come on man your just being dumb. I'm not trying to bring the kid down but you can just tell. Obviously from just the post game interviews many other people got the impression that the kid is very full of himself. You can just tell. He gave himself the T-Magic nickname. The paper even said so the past week. Also, they went into detail on things the guy had posted about himself on facebook that did not sound so humble to me, especially for someone who had never played a down.

I really don't wanna believe you. It's not as easy to root for an a-hole.

As for the T-Magic nickname, even Niles can't seem to keep his story straight. In a McKewon article before the game he said:

“We call him T-Magic. I don’t know where he got the name from, and I don’t know how it came about, but we call him T-Magic.”

Then, in Niles' post-game interview he said:

“I don't know how I thought of it but one day I just called him 'T-Magic' and it kind of stuck with him.”

I think this offense would have allowed a QB like Crouch to absolutely kill it from the Wildcat.

Since he probably can't grasp the throwing game, I don't know that he would be the fulltime QB, but maybe.

I'm just saying that Crouch is one of the best athletes and runners to come through here, but running the option 20 times a game resulted in low ypc for him. I think he'd have a field day faking defenders out on the zone read though. I don't remember our schemes too clearly from back then, but for whatever reason Crouch never had a game where he averaged 18 ypc on 7 carries.

Your stories don't seem to jell with anything in this McKewon article, and McKewon is one of the more respectable Husker writers. He doesn't write much fluff.

From talking to players and coaches he’s a quiet, solitary leader, but the offense seems to respond to it.

It's hard to say. I'm not naive enough to think there isn't a whole lot of PC BS coming out of the players and coaches during interviews, but would all these people really go out of their way to call him quiet, reserved and humble if he was actually just an arrogant jerk? Wouldn't they just say, "He's a great runner." or something like that?

And on the other hand, what motive does your friend (or you) have for blatantly lying? None that I can think of... unless you're related to Zac or Cody.

:dunno

To a degree, I think all this 'best will play' talk is a self-fulfilling prophecy, from the coach's standpoint.

They committed to making Taylor the starter, and going forward with the offense with Taylor at the helm. Rather than commit to building off of Lee's work in the Holiday Bowl and his experience through all of last year.

Barring an injury at this point, it's highly unlikely we will see the Lee that the staff could have built this year's team around and committed to improving through his senior year. As with any quarterback, you will see improvement if you put him in the right position to succeed. If you throw him down to third string and build your future around two younger guys...well, I don't know. It's a tough road.

Taylor is going to be put into a position to develop and succeed, and it's reasonable to expect that he will, I suppose. It won't mean that if we had committed to Lee, and then worked in Taylor's wildcat package a la Leak/Tebow a few years ago, that we would not have been better off, both this year and in the long term. But for whatever reasons - dislike of Lee apparently being one of them - that's not the option that the coaches have deemed to be best.

In the end it's the decision we will have to live with (and probably will come to gladly accept, as bshirt always reminds me that I will), but I don't believe that such a decision should be immune to analysis or criticism, or explained away by "Taylor must have simply won an open competition."

In any case, it's highly unlikely that Taylor did flat out beat Lee (I'm not saying he didn't, since I don't know). But from Bo's comments about the gameplan with the QB rotation this game (Taylor, Cody, and then no set plan), to how Zac was used in game (garbage time, scout team), it could not be more apparent where Zac's standing is. So barring the possibility that we have two incredible young QBs who leapfrogged a senior by leaps and bounds, we have a scenario where the redshirt freshman was deemed to be a better option than the sophomore, with the idea of sticking with the senior out of the question. That's a judgment call the coaches can make, but it isn't Taylor flat out beating Lee.

^ Of course, one final note, to play devil's advocate, flat-out winning a QB race is hardly a guaranteed predictor of success (Keller).

I can see how a guy who thinks he's all that would not be the most easygoing guy in the world, and alienates himself from teammates or just doesn't fit in right away. There's no reason why Taylor can't be arrogant and quiet at the same time; BW has noted that he was a loner for a while when he first got here.

I don't think anyone will ever say a potential starting QB is not a leader. What I'm interested in is how Taylor handles adversity, and how he will carry the team. That is something we have all yet to see. I hope he does it well but I'd be naive if I didn't say there are some warning signs that it might not.

But he's young yet. Could go in any direction and I think if the staff handles him correctly, it's going to go well.

To a degree, I think all this 'best will play' talk is a self-fulfilling prophecy, from the coach's standpoint.

They committed to making Taylor the starter, and going forward with the offense with Taylor at the helm. Rather than commit to building off of Lee's work in the Holiday Bowl and his experience through all of last year.

Barring an injury at this point, it's highly unlikely we will see the Lee that the staff could have built this year's team around and committed to improving through his senior year. As with any quarterback, you will see improvement if you put him in the right position to succeed. If you throw him down to third string and build your future around two younger guys...well, I don't know. It's a tough road.

Taylor is going to be put into a position to develop and succeed, and it's reasonable to expect that he will, I suppose. It won't mean that if we had committed to Lee, and then worked in Taylor's wildcat package a la Leak/Tebow a few years ago, that we would not have been better off, both this year and in the long term. But for whatever reasons - dislike of Lee apparently being one of them - that's not the option that the coaches have deemed to be best.

In the end it's the decision we will have to live with (and probably will come to gladly accept, as bshirt always reminds me that I will), but I don't believe that such a decision should be immune to analysis or criticism, or explained away by "Taylor must have simply won an open competition."

In any case, it's highly unlikely that Taylor did flat out beat Lee (I'm not saying he didn't, since I don't know). But from Bo's comments about the gameplan with the QB rotation this game (Taylor, Cody, and then no set plan), to how Zac was used in game (garbage time, scout team), it could not be more apparent where Zac's standing is. So barring the possibility that we have two incredible young QBs who leapfrogged a senior by leaps and bounds, we have a scenario where the redshirt freshman was deemed to be a better option than the sophomore, with the idea of sticking with the senior out of the question. That's a judgment call the coaches can make, but it isn't Taylor flat out beating Lee.

^ Of course, one final note, to play devil's advocate, flat-out winning a QB race is hardly a guaranteed predictor of success (Keller).

There's a difference between criticizing a decision, and flat-out making stuff up in order to validate your own views and stroke your own ego (Not accusing you specifically, as I'm sure you've gotten your information somewhere else. But thus far I have not seen any real evidence that this was anything other than a more athletic freshman beating out a more experienced senior for a spot. I've only seen hearsay).

• Fire 1

I will deem him a Crouch clone on the day that he hits an Iowa linebacker so hard, that the dazed young man will require smelling salts to come back into consciousness.

Edit: I will also require him to score a touchdown on the play.

lol!

Oh yeah, I remember that play well. Wow!

Hey, I agree he's got 10,000 country miles to go to be at Crouch's level. But he's the first I've seen since Eric that has a shot. The guy can "accerate" in a big way.

Oh hell yeah, I remember that play very well. Great hit going by the sidelines.

comparing Martinez to Crouch is a little.. immature. He's got so much time to develop and will definitely develop into a serious weapon under BO's system. It's up to Martinez himself if he wants to work that hard to get there.

Crouch is probably one of the best athletes that has come through the program in recent years, but his QB game wouldn't work in this offense. I think the comparisons are for not. I don't think Crouch would start at QB in this offense. His arm is like a cannon, but the accuracy just wasn't there. I'm not knocking the guy. He's a legend and always will be. Option left, option right, option right, option left, play action to Wilson Thomas (On third and long) worked at the time, but eventually cost Frank his job.

I always take heat for this, but I'll say it anyway. I think Jamal Lord's athleticism always gets overlooked because the offense he was on was so vanilla and predictable. I think T-Mart has more talent than Lord, but it is a more realistic comparison.

Imho, "this offense" would be changed by Bo in about four nanoseconds if by miracle an Eric Crouch somehow appeared (and was eligible). No way he wouldn't use him "immediately". Just like he's doing right now in changing the offense for freshman Tmart. I'm sure it would be different from Frank's offense but he would be on the field at qb.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think he would take a snap in any offense other than the one he was in. I think the guy would have made millions in a role like Wes Welker. I think he's bigger, faster and stronger than him.

The funny thing about the offense from the 90's and early 2000 is that I think T.O. would have even evloved away from a purely option based approach. That being said, I believe Crouch is a 'purely option' quarter back that probably would have put up Danny Woodhead type numbers at Air Force.

To me the arguement that Bo make him a QB because he is strong and fast just doesn't add up. I would think that #22 would be under center right now if that was the case.

Hey, that's fair enough gobiggergoredder!

I'm not trying to argue with you more as you have some very good points. But I can't resist. :wasted Imo, he wasn't just fast and strong. He pitched the ball well (even though Danimal had inclinations of dropping them), was tough, rugged, durable and just like Tmart (if not more so) had an incredible initial 10 yard acceleration that was an awesome thing to behold and sooooooo valuable on the field. Lastly, he never had an Oline anything remotely as good as Frost, Gill & Frazier had and could somehow find a seam that an average rb (say...like Lucky) would get stuffed.

The guy was a 1st down machine with LOTS of big gains too. I just can't see Bo not using a weapon like that.

Again though, your points are well taken as he certainly wasn't anything but an average passer at best. It's just AMAZING imo that we have a Tmart who just might have enough Crouch burning speed and a passing ability that could make our offense nearly unstoppable.

Wonder how long it's going to take the Lee posse to just GET OVER IT.

Trust me, it'll be a more enjoyable season the sooner you do.

Are the points we're trying to bring up seriously flying that far over your head?

Take a deep breath, take a step back, and then think this

"An unproven redshirt freshman starting over the now #3 senior QB who played hurt all last season and was still better than Green? Hmm, that's weird"

If TMart really is that much better then Green or Lee, then fine, whatever. Obviously we all want the best players on the field. No one is saying he's entitled to the position, and competition blablablabl, it's just that something about this just doesn't seem right.

Half this board seriously seems to be deliberately misunderstanding what we're talking about, and it's getting ridiculous