QB Race

Lee haters can bash me now,

but im confident in Zac as a starter behind a healthy/improved offensive line that has added depth also. The starter will also bennefit from a full stable of running backs that are healthy and battle tested to take some pressure off of the QB.

trust me i am in no way a "Lee basher", i picked him to win the starting job a year ago and i dont think that he should have EVER been taken out for green to start (although at the time it didnt sound like a bad idea), but i can also see talent and from what i have saw from Martinez i have no doubt that he is battling Lee for #1. he has had #2 for a while now, Green can look the part all he wants but if he cant run the offense then he will be running the bench.

i dont think that we would be much better or worse whether either Lee or Martinez starts.

but im confident in Zac as a starter behind a healthy/improved offensive line that has added depth also. The starter will also bennefit from a full stable of running backs that are healthy and battle tested to take some pressure off of the QB.

trust me i am in no way a "Lee basher", i picked him to win the starting job a year ago and i dont think that he should have EVER been taken out for green to start (although at the time it didnt sound like a bad idea), but i can also see talent and from what i have saw from Martinez i have no doubt that he is battling Lee for #1. he has had #2 for a while now, Green can look the part all he wants but if he cant run the offense then he will be running the bench.

i dont think that we would be much better or worse whether either Lee or Martinez starts.

I don't know that the bolded part is true, everything I have seen is that it is a three way battle. I still think Lee wins the starting job and the surge that Martinez is making is only a good thing. Whover wins the starting job will have earned it, and its only making all three of them better. I expect the offnese to be much improved and turn a few heads this year.

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

"He`s going to make defenses defend 11-on-11."

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

I don't know of a defense that will defend only 8 players and keep WR's and TE's uncovered. If Watson runs WR's out more than 20 yards then it decreases the number of defenders a mobile QB has to beat around the line of scrimmage. If a QB isn't a good passer it means that only single coverage will be needed on all WR's, TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield but it still makes you defend 11 on 11. Huge gaps in the coverage between the furthest WR/TE/RB and the QB means there is more space for a mobile QB to operate with his feet if no one is open for the QB to throw to.

I don't know that the bolded part is true, everything I have seen is that it is a three way battle. I still think Lee wins the starting job and the surge that Martinez is making is only a good thing. Whover wins the starting job will have earned it, and its only making all three of them better. I expect the offnese to be much improved and turn a few heads this year.

thats just my opinion based on what i have seen from both qbs.

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

that may be so but being a great runner will automatically make you a decent passer because the defense has to crowd the line to make sure that you dont take off on them. if they do crowd the line then all you have to do is throw it over the line and if they dont crowd the line then we will gladly take those 10 yard chunks on the ground from the qb.

Tell that to Jammal Lord.

From Sipple's article:

Writes Woelk:

that may be so but being a great runner will automatically make you a decent passer because the defense has to crowd the line to make sure that you dont take off on them. if they do crowd the line then all you have to do is throw it over the line and if they dont crowd the line then we will gladly take those 10 yard chunks on the ground from the qb.

Tell that to Jammal Lord.

Lord could have been a very very good qb, that was all about play calling. its not too hard for a defense to defend a qb when there are only 3 plays in a couches play book...

I have been waiting for someone to post all the threads about Cody Greene as Superman that were floating on this board circa spring 2009!

Now it's Martin-ez getting all the hype, lol. Either Greene has fallen off a cliff in the depth or Martin-ez has gotten so good that no matter how Greene has improved, it just won't matter. Nevermind that Superman, aka, Cody Greene, withered like a tulip in November; Martin-ez (who's never taken a meaningful snap), must be pushing for the starting role?

C'mon!! we haven't had a starter makes waves that wasn't at LEAST a junior around here since Crouch.

In other words, it's Lee, Lee, Lee.....

I have been waiting for someone to post all the threads about Cody Greene as Superman that were floating on this board circa spring 2009!

Now it's Martin-ez getting all the hype, lol. Either Greene has fallen off a cliff in the depth or Martin-ez has gotten so good that no matter how Greene has improved, it just won't matter. Nevermind that Superman, aka, Cody Greene, withered like a tulip in November; Martin-ez (who's never taken a meaningful snap), must be pushing for the starting role?

C'mon!! we haven't had a starter makes waves that wasn't at LEAST a junior around here since Crouch.

In other words, it's Lee, Lee, Lee.....

Two words why the hype slowed down.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4493328928529279108#

i have been saying it since the middle of last season, i lean towards Lee right now just based on experience but i wouldnt be at all surprised to see Martinez running the show and i know ill get bashed for this but i dont ever see Green becoming the official season starter unless he makes some vast improvement and imo he needs to make a lot of improvement from what i have seen....

I just remember Joe Dailey coming in with a lot of hype but once he stepped onto the field it was pretty evident that he wasn't going to live up to all the hype he had coming in. This is the same way I feel about Green. Of course I'd love it if he proved me wrong but something tells me that just isn't going to happen especially with the apparent talent we have waiting in the wings (Martinez, Starling & Carnes). He's a fair enough runner but I just can't get excited about him as a quarterback.

Actually I remember Dailey generating a lot of hype of his own his freshman year when he was being touted as the future. It was his sophomore year that he undid all of that when he became a fulltime starter. Not really comparable with Green IMO.

Green has had a strong camp too by all accounts. I'm disappointed how his fans have just dropped like flies. I hope he wins the job next year. I will be more than a little disappointed if it's Taylor, unless things change with Taylor a lot, because I enjoy watching our WRs and TEs making plays.

What two words? Hype is created by fans and media, no coach or director can control it. That's why it's funny to me that it's now all hype for Martin-ez, who I think is talented no doubt...hype don't pay the bills. Neither Greene nor Martin-ez have done squat.

Not saying the others haven't improved by leaps and bounds, just saying that Lee at least is tested.

Just remember all the amazing dividends 'hype' paid off for Greene last year before u cast it on Martin-ez