QB Race

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

"He`s going to make defenses defend 11-on-11."

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

Pretty sure even he could hit the 5 yard outs and screen passes that Watson calls. Lets not make out that Zac Lee was superman when he was really Jimmy Olsen in this offense.

Yeah, but can TMart hit those deadly horizontal passes that SW loves so much?

Actually I remember Dailey generating a lot of hype of his own his freshman year when he was being touted as the future. It was his sophomore year that he undid all of that when he became a fulltime starter. Not really comparable with Green IMO.

Green has had a strong camp too by all accounts. I'm disappointed how his fans have just dropped like flies. I hope he wins the job next year. I will be more than a little disappointed if it's Taylor, unless things change with Taylor a lot, because I enjoy watching our WRs and TEs making plays.

I remember a few games when Dailey come in their was a quite amount of cheering going on. Personally Dailey never had chance a to become a successful QB at Nebraska. Coaching changes and a whole different playbook terminalogy could really crush a kids confidence.

From what i remember Dailey actually performed better in freshman year than green did. Dailey had lot of confidence, with Green I just dont see it, he way more cocky than confident.

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

simplest answer is often correct: Lee is tested, he will start

Do you know who I feel is going to start? I don't freaking know.. Whats more, I don't really care. All I care about is that the most athletic, best decision making, confident under pressure, big play making quarterback gets the job. Be that who it may.. If it's Zac Lee his arm, experience, and knowledge of the playbook better make up for what I believe he lacks in physical ability and the others in the race have but lack in experience. Whoever is the best should play and should be playing at NCAA FBS division calibur, which was not Zac OR Cody last year.. Quarterback shmorterback.. May the best man win and may the best man also win 14 fracking football games! W00t!

Can I ask what in the OP made anyone want to defend Lee so badly? I didn't read one word about Lee being in danger of losing his spot? Has anyone even attacked him in this thread? And why if someone believes Martinez can make an impact for NU this year does that automatically make them a "Lee basher"? Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

And finally what the hell is the point of spelling Martinez's name with a F'n dash in it? Don't you know that makes you look about as cool as the Iowa fans who get their kicks typing NU as 'Nebby' or the Big 12 trolls who insist on calling us NUB?

• Fire 1

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

All im saying is Dailey never had a chance to become a good QB. With Billy C it was like tryin to stick a round peg into a square hole.

Lee will start, Martinez will be utilize a lot, Green will signal plays in.

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

I like this and I agree with it! Good points! Except I disagree with the statement "sucked at times" He sucked MOST OF THE TIME last year.

In reality there is a fair possibility that Martinez starts. Bo Pelini is what we might call "eccentric" and "Unpredictable" So the possibility is absolutely there!

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

I like this and I agree with it! Good points! Except I disagree with the statement "sucked at times" He sucked MOST OF THE TIME last year.

In reality there is a fair possibility that Martinez starts. Bo Pelini is what we might call "eccentric" and "Unpredictable" So the possibility is absolutely there!

:facepalm:

Yes, we should still have doubts about Zac Lee, because we have not seen him at full strength in a game situation; it would not be out of the question to say that we may see a different starter this year. But to say that he "sucked last year" is completely unfair to Zac as he strapped it on last year for us and was a trooper. He played hurt and we should all tip our hats to him. If a running back tore his ACL would you expect him to rush for 1,000 yards? No. So I think that we are being unrealistic in thinking that Zac Lee would be all-world with an injury in the nature that he did. I am far from a Lee lover.

"Two words why the hype slowed down."

What two words? Hype is created by fans and media, no coach or director can control it. That's why it's funny to me that it's now all hype for Martin-ez, who I think is talented no doubt...hype don't pay the bills. Neither Greene nor Martin-ez have done squat.

Not saying the others haven't improved by leaps and bounds, just saying that Lee at least is tested.

Just remember all the amazing dividends 'hype' paid off for Greene last year before u cast it on Martin-ez

You have to watch the 12 second video to figure out the two words. I will help you. Lawn darts!!! The hype slowed down because it appeared to me that at times Green (not Greene) was throwing them at our receivers. That is term I use for not being very accurate. When you are 3rd and 6 and can't connect to convert for a 1st down, you can't move the ball.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4493328928529279108#

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

Did he pass any of his "tests" last year? I wouldn't say he even came close. All the big games last year, he pretty much choked. I don't like the idea of everyone wanting Lee to start just because he has experience...he showed me nothing last year to prove that he was capable of leading this team to where it needs to go. If he has made improvements to the point where he can be an asset, great. I hope he has the best season a Husker QB has ever had, and I wholeheartedly mean that. I just want the best man to win the job, whether it be Lee, Green (no E on the end), Martinez (no hyphen), Carnes, Washington, Spano, Kellogg, or a 1-armed walk on from Alaska. Just give this offense the best chance at success by putting the BEST PLAYER under center. Not the most experienced, not the game manager...just best player, period.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

All im saying is Dailey never had a chance to become a good QB. With Billy C it was like tryin to stick a round peg into a square hole.

I am not a Billy C fan but I wouldn't blame him for Dailey being a bust. Dailey finished his playing career at North Carolina as a wide receiver.

:facepalm:

Yes, we should still have doubts about Zac Lee, because we have not seen him at full strength in a game situation; it would not be out of the question to say that we may see a different starter this year. But to say that he "sucked last year" is completely unfair to Zac as he strapped it on last year for us and was a trooper. He played hurt and we should all tip our hats to him. If a running back tore his ACL would you expect him to rush for 1,000 yards? No. So I think that we are being unrealistic in thinking that Zac Lee would be all-world with an injury in the nature that he did. I am far from a Lee lover.

Be that as it may. He has a lot to prove. He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury. If he proves he is the starter, more power to him.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

I am not a Billy C fan but I wouldn't blame him for Dailey being a bust. Dailey finished his playing career at North Carolina as a wide receiver.

Dailey would of been a good QB under Solich... He had the ability to throw the ball a little bit, and could run. He was an option QB that could throw the ball.. Not a throwing QB that could run the option....