QB Race

Zac wasn't a world-beater by any means, but knowing how to make reads and having the skill and arm to make throws are not to be taken for granted. There are no easy passes. Maybe we threw a lot of short passes with Ganz, who didn't have that downfield arm, but last year we made a fair living off the deep ball, even with what limited passing we were doing. We have one of the most talented senior receivers in the country this year and a legit deep threat in Paul - so I say let's not waste that.

Yeah, I would hate to waste our 108th rated passing offense. Just think how we would have rated without the FOUR SunBelt teams to pump the stats. :hellloooo

We have soooo much to lose if Green or TMart beats him out.

ps....sorry zoogies, I just couldn't resist. :rollin

Zac wasn't a world-beater by any means, but knowing how to make reads and having the skill and arm to make throws are not to be taken for granted. There are no easy passes. Maybe we threw a lot of short passes with Ganz, who didn't have that downfield arm, but last year we made a fair living off the deep ball, even with what limited passing we were doing. We have one of the most talented senior receivers in the country this year and a legit deep threat in Paul - so I say let's not waste that.

Yeah, I would hate to waste our 108th rated passing offense. Just think how we would have rated without the FOUR SunBelt teams to pump the stats. :hellloooo

We have soooo much to lose if Green or TMart beats him out.

ps....sorry zoogies, I just couldn't resist. :rollin

I just can't wait for this year, because no matter how good/bad our offense does, you won't be able to use that "Sunbelt" line anymore...it really is your favorite :P

From Sipple's article:

Reading Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera writer Neill Woelk's column about Tyler Hansen winning the Buffs' job reminds me of why Martinez running Nebraska's offense intrigues me.

Writes Woelk:

... If you need a hint as to why Hansen emerged as the leader, (offensive coordinator Eric) Kiesau said it best:

"He`s going to make defenses defend 11-on-11."

But Martinez is a running threat, not a passing one. Unless things have dramatically changed, you can take out the TE and the WRs, and it's back to defending 11-on-8, if you will.

Pretty sure even he could hit the 5 yard outs and screen passes that Watson calls. Lets not make out that Zac Lee was superman when he was really Jimmy Olsen in this offense.

Yeah, but can TMart hit those deadly horizontal passes that SW loves so much?

Those are only meant for the other teams db's so it really doesn't matter.

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

simplest answer is often correct: Lee is tested, he will start

Just out of curiosity, why do you spell their names "Greene" and "Martin-ez"?

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

simplest answer is often correct: Lee is tested, he will start

Did he pass any of his "tests" last year? I wouldn't say he even came close. All the big games last year, he pretty much choked. I don't like the idea of everyone wanting Lee to start just because he has experience...he showed me nothing last year to prove that he was capable of leading this team to where it needs to go.

For starters, I am not on the Lee band wagon. I am in the group that just wants the best player to start, regardless of what name or number he is wearing.

That said, I think your statement overstates the truth of the situation.

1) Lee passed many of the tests we asked him to pass last year. He led an impressive fourth quarter comeback against Missouri, he came in and scored a touchdown for us against Oklahoma when Green wasn't doing anything, he helped us to a north title, he helped dominate a talented Arizona team, and he kept his mouth shut and nose to the grind when much of the fan base had cast him out as a terrible quarterback. Did he pass all of the tests? No. But to say that he failed all of them and choked in the big games is ridiculous.

2) Have we forgotten Lee had an injury AND surgery in his throwing arm? If any of you have played football, then you know what it's like to play injured and the toll it takes on the body come the end of the season. The man got injured in week two for crying out loud. At the time we didn't know, but now we do. I'm not saying this healthy arm is going to drastically change anything, but I know for sure that it couldn't hurt to have a healthy arm now.

For starters, I am not on the Lee band wagon. I am in the group that just wants the best player to start, regardless of what name or number he is wearing.

That said, I think your statement overstates the truth of the situation.

1) Lee passed many of the tests we asked him to pass last year. He led an impressive fourth quarter comeback against Missouri, he came in and scored a touchdown for us against Oklahoma when Green wasn't doing anything, he helped us to a north title, he helped dominate a talented Arizona team, and he kept his mouth shut and nose to the grind when much of the fan base had cast him out as a terrible quarterback. Did he pass all of the tests? No. But to say that he failed all of them and choked in the big games is ridiculous.

2) Have we forgotten Lee had an injury AND surgery in his throwing arm? If any of you have played football, then you know what it's like to play injured and the toll it takes on the body come the end of the season. The man got injured in week two for crying out loud. At the time we didn't know, but now we do. I'm not saying this healthy arm is going to drastically change anything, but I know for sure that it couldn't hurt to have a healthy arm now.

I'll give you the Missouri game, but scoring the 1 yard TD against Oklahoma proved nothing to me. I know he sucked it up for the sake of the team, I'm just saying that there were not many moments last year where I was encouraged by Lee's performance.

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

I like this and I agree with it! Good points! Except I disagree with the statement "sucked at times" He sucked MOST OF THE TIME last year.

In reality there is a fair possibility that Martinez starts. Bo Pelini is what we might call "eccentric" and "Unpredictable" So the possibility is absolutely there!

:facepalm:

Yes, we should still have doubts about Zac Lee, because we have not seen him at full strength in a game situation; it would not be out of the question to say that we may see a different starter this year. But to say that he "sucked last year" is completely unfair to Zac as he strapped it on last year for us and was a trooper. He played hurt and we should all tip our hats to him. If a running back tore his ACL would you expect him to rush for 1,000 yards? No. So I think that we are being unrealistic in thinking that Zac Lee would be all-world with an injury in the nature that he did. I am far from a Lee lover.

Be that as it may. He has a lot to prove. He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury. If he proves he is the starter, more power to him.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury."

How stupid of a statement is that? You basically said "Sure, he was limited in what he could do because he was hurt, but he still sucked!" Of course he did. After we all learned of the injury it explained a lot. You could not have possibly expected him to be an All-American could you?

I am not talking to you but just in general to the board. I read awhile ago that SW actually tailored the offense and the routes the WRs ran on particular plays because of the injury to Zac Lee because he flat out could not make some of the more routine throws. Could that have been why our timing as an offense was off? If you change the offense a bit your QB isn't going to know it as well as he did before it was changed. Could that be why Zac starred down WRs at times last year? Because he didn't know the offense as well at that point?

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

I like this and I agree with it! Good points! Except I disagree with the statement "sucked at times" He sucked MOST OF THE TIME last year.

In reality there is a fair possibility that Martinez starts. Bo Pelini is what we might call "eccentric" and "Unpredictable" So the possibility is absolutely there!

Yes, we should still have doubts about Zac Lee, because we have not seen him at full strength in a game situation; it would not be out of the question to say that we may see a different starter this year. But to say that he "sucked last year" is completely unfair to Zac as he strapped it on last year for us and was a trooper. He played hurt and we should all tip our hats to him. If a running back tore his ACL would you expect him to rush for 1,000 yards? No. So I think that we are being unrealistic in thinking that Zac Lee would be all-world with an injury in the nature that he did. I am far from a Lee lover.

Be that as it may. He has a lot to prove. He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury. If he proves he is the starter, more power to him.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury."

How stupid of a statement is that? You basically said "Sure, he was limited in what he could do because he was hurt, but he still sucked!" Of course he did. After we all learned of the injury it explained a lot. You could not have possibly expected him to be an All-American could you?

I am not talking to you but just in general to the board. I read awhile ago that SW actually tailored the offense and the routes the WRs ran on particular plays because of the injury to Zac Lee because he flat out could not make some of the more routine throws. Could that have been why our timing as an offense was off? If you change the offense a bit your QB isn't going to know it as well as he did before it was changed. Could that be why Zac starred down WRs at times last year? Because he didn't know the offense as well at that point?

Easy EZ-E.

He's not stupid at all. Like many he saw last year that Lee in "any" scenario running the ball was a complete disaster. You can throw 10,000 excuses out for him (like you always do) but to any objective viewer Lee is as elusive running the ball as a Pet Rock. The guy simply has no business running the ball in Div1 cfb.

So, that leaves his passing ability which after playing the SunBelt teams blew chunks in a big, big way. Of course, you blame that all on his injury. Funny how his injury only happened after we quit playing high school teams, huh? And that his best game after his injury (which isn't saying much) was the Holiday bowl that should have been his worst game due to the injury, right?

So what has he "proved"? Ok, he'll play hurt but all evidence so far shows extremely marginal production vs decent opposition.

So, we've got a returning fully experienced senior qb and a soph qb with little experience and a freshmen qb with zero experience. But Bo still strongly states it's a wide open race.

Think about it, EZ-E. What does that tell you?

Easy EZ-E.

He's not stupid at all. Like many he saw last year that Lee in "any" scenario running the ball was a complete disaster. You can throw 10,000 excuses out for him (like you always do) but to any objective viewer Lee is as elusive running the ball as a Pet Rock. The guy simply has no business running the ball in Div1 cfb.

So, that leaves his passing ability which after playing the SunBelt teams blew chunks in a big, big way. Of course, you blame that all on his injury. Funny how his injury only happened after we quit playing high school teams, huh? And that his best game after his injury (which isn't saying much) was the Holiday bowl that should have been his worst game due to the injury, right?

So what has he "proved"? Ok, he'll play hurt but all evidence so far shows extremely marginal production vs decent opposition.

So, we've got a returning fully experienced senior qb and a soph qb with little experience and a freshmen qb with zero experience. But Bo still strongly states it's a wide open race.

actually his injury occurred in the 2nd game not after the 4th game. as for the holiday bowl supposedly being his worse game, he had a month to rest and get better so most anyone can see that should have been one of his better games. Lee is actually a much better runner than you give him credit for as well, i would like to see you run the ball towards a bunch of BIG DUDES that are gunning to smash you when you have that type of injury because trust me it hurts like hell. he will more than likely prove you wrong this season.

Easy EZ-E.

Couple of things.

First, I think Lee has better running ability than you give him credit for. He's no Eric Crouch, but he can gain at least a few chunks of yards when he needs to.

Second, his injury occurred in week 2 and not after the non-con was over. As a season goes on, injuries tend to get worse and worse because you have no time to correctly heal. Given that you are not Zac Lee, I'm not sure you or anyone really has the right to say anything about what the injury did to him. The most we can assume is it sure as hell didn't help him, because what injury does?

Lastly, as far as the "wide open" quarterback race is concerned, this is exactly the type of person Bo Pelini has proven to be over the last few years. He always says that every position is in a wide open race until the official depth chart comes out. The only player I ever remember him hearing say they have a guaranteed job was Suh in his senior season. Bo wants competition and for his team to get better. Your team doesn't get better if you go around naming off starters left and right all the time. Some of your players may take this as "well, I'm already not the starter so why should I keep competing during fall camp?".