Do you think Bo Pelini needs to be a little nicer and show some respect?

Bo has a job to do and so does the media but the media has shown in the past that they will intentionally ask the same questions over and over only to receive the same answer. I'm sorry but at my job I hear the same questions over and over and over from the same people that you just get to a point and you freak out because you can only repeat yourself so much.

I don't have a problem with the way Bo talks to the media because at times they deserve this type of "tough love". As long as Bo is putting a good product onto the field and winning games I don't care if we get our questions answered as long as its getting results on the field.

Sounds fair. But you are right he needs to win. If we lose 4 games this year he will be on the hot seat.

no way. he'd have to do worse than that to be on the hot seat

Say he costs us the Texas game by being nasty to a ref.. you will all bump this back up and agree with my comments. Everyone that turns out to be right is thought to be crazy or just plain wrong at first.

Osborne was nice to refs and all it ever got him was screw jobs. You absolutely have to be in the refs ear and let them know when the screwed up. Refs have cost us so many Texas games already, with or without someone chewing them out.

Bo has a job to do and so does the media but the media has shown in the past that they will intentionally ask the same questions over and over only to receive the same answer. I'm sorry but at my job I hear the same questions over and over and over from the same people that you just get to a point and you freak out because you can only repeat yourself so much.

I don't have a problem with the way Bo talks to the media because at times they deserve this type of "tough love". As long as Bo is putting a good product onto the field and winning games I don't care if we get our questions answered as long as its getting results on the field.

Sounds fair. But you are right he needs to win. If we lose 4 games this year he will be on the hot seat.

This is stupid.

I've been reading this over a couple times and can see a little bit of what he is saying besides the point about Pelini being our coach, I totally disagree w that. However, in our soundbite, highlight world sometimes perception is reality. If people keep seeing Bo flaming out on the sidelines and they show slamming clipboards and f bombs being dropped all over, despite the circumstances, maybe in the long run it could be perceived/reality as the way we as a State and program treat people in general.

But overall I like his tenor and his tone and his sharp edge, especially after the last 'coach'

The problem with chill pills, is that they are addictive. Bill Callahan took too many chill pills after he left the Raiders. We don't want Bo to take chill pills, besides his agression doesn't hurt our (the fans) feelings, only the reporters that ask the questions they think the public wants to hear.

I'm gonna agree with the OP. I really think Bo needs to show some class. He is all about being in control and I think it is a little ridiculous. Especially after today's press conference. I'm sick of him saying that there will be continual competition in practice, especially at the quarterback position. (This is a pretty obvious statement. If there wasn't competition then I would be pretty worried.) If Bo wants people to stop asking the same questions over and over then he should start giving some straight answers. Everybody in this state knows that he already knows who will be starting this Saturday. I'm getting very tired with the games that he is playing. Combine this nonsense with his tantrums he throws on the sidelines as well as him always chewing out players and I'm getting sick of it. Show some class Bo and do things the right way.

Oh and to the poster who said that Bo's job is not in PR...I really hope that you are joking. If he truly just wants to coach then he needs to go back to either being an assistant coach or go coach high school football. Bo gets paid the big bucks BECAUSE he is more than just a football coach.

who would not be annoyed by the media? and the coaches who are affable and get along with the media, they really do not say anything worth note, so from my perspective, he is just more honest. he is not mean, he is curt. it can be hilarious, how he answers the questions. another problem is that they do not want to talk about the same things. either way, it is just a personality thing. i do not think he thinks he is rude or mean, he just is not willing to give them what they want. that being said, i would not want to be a sports writer interviewing him, or maybe i would, i do not know.

This is correct. Mack Brown will schmooze with the media all day, without saying more than Bo does in 2 minutes. If you're hiring a campaign spokesman or a White House press secretary, you want someone more like Mack Brown. Bo Pelini is a football coach - let him coach football. If the media wants him to be more friendly, they should learn more about the game and try to ask Bo in depth questions about the game. Then I'm sure they'd get a more animated and excited Bo in press conferences, and frankly, fans like myself would appreciate it. But the media has spent the last, oh i dunno, 4 months asking who the starting QB is going to be, and the answer has been the same EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Seriously, maybe instead of asking Bo about when he's going to pass out the Blackshirts :facepalm: they should ask him about the role of the Peso player in a particular formation, or about deciding when and how to blitz, or something to that effect. Not just, "Well, I know you're not going to answer this, but I'm going to ask it anyways... who are you going to start at QB?"

I've been reading this over a couple times and can see a little bit of what he is saying besides the point about Pelini being our coach, I totally disagree w that. However, in our soundbite, highlight world sometimes perception is reality. If people keep seeing Bo flaming out on the sidelines and they show slamming clipboards and f bombs being dropped all over, despite the circumstances, maybe in the long run it could be perceived/reality as the way we as a State and program treat people in general.

But overall I like his tenor and his tone and his sharp edge, especially after the last 'coach'

I agree with what you're saying about "perception." However, I don't think we as fans or as Nebraskans should really care about how other people perceive us. If they think we're the nicest fans they've ever met goshdarnit, well good. If they think we're a bunch of angry jerks, fine. I don't really care what other fans or what the media thinks. As long as Bo is teaching football, and teaching life lessons, holding student-athletes to a high standard on and off the field, I could care less about a fan or journalist from another state who doesn't know anything about our program to begin with coming in and judging us based on a few interviews or highlights.

I'm gonna agree with the OP. I really think Bo needs to show some class. He is all about being in control and I think it is a little ridiculous. Especially after today's press conference. I'm sick of him saying that there will be continual competition in practice, especially at the quarterback position. (This is a pretty obvious statement. If there wasn't competition then I would be pretty worried.) If Bo wants people to stop asking the same questions over and over then he should start giving some straight answers. Everybody in this state knows that he already knows who will be starting this Saturday. I'm getting very tired with the games that he is playing. Combine this nonsense with his tantrums he throws on the sidelines as well as him always chewing out players and I'm getting sick of it. Show some class Bo and do things the right way.

Oh and to the poster who said that Bo's job is not in PR...I really hope that you are joking. If he truly just wants to coach then he needs to go back to either being an assistant coach or go coach high school football. Bo gets paid the big bucks BECAUSE he is more than just a football coach.

This is the other thing that bugs me about this discussion. Bo Pelini doesn't have ANY obligation to tell the media who the starting QB is. It's college football, it's not like he's withholding testimony in a murder trial. Everybody go play some golf or something, take your mind off football for a couple hours, and you'll find out who the starting QB is in just about 3 more days.

Also, on another note, I really hope they run the Wildcat formation on the first play, so that Rex Burkhead is technically the starting QB, just to mess with everyone.

Im really surprised by how most people on this board will allow coaches and players to say and do whatever they please, whenever they please, as long as we win. I'm just curious when our fans took on this attitude because we sure didn't used to have this frame of mind.

what? how is being curt to the media the same as saying and doing whatever he pleases, whenever he pleases, as long as he wins?

:facepalm:

Im really surprised by how most people on this board will allow coaches and players to say and do whatever they please, whenever they please, as long as we win. I'm just curious when our fans took on this attitude because we sure didn't used to have this frame of mind.

What does this mean? Other than not saying who the starting QB is, I'm not sure what Bo has done. The players haven't said anything offensive either. So, what are you talking about?

what? how is being curt to the media the same as saying and doing whatever he pleases, whenever he pleases, as long as he wins?

So those tantrums during the game and constantly chewing out players and dropping f-bombs is alright?

So those tantrums during the game and constantly chewing out players and dropping f-bombs is alright?

It's football. Charlie McBride was pretty colorful too, you might recall. Bob Devaney wasn't exactly a saint either.