Do you think Bo Pelini needs to be a little nicer and show some respect?

Does Bo owe it to the press to be more respectful? Alot of people will argue either way.

But Bo will have to realize, when this team struggles or has a mediocre season, the press will absolutely hammer him. All of these guys will remember how disrespectful he has been with them, and how dry he has been in answering their questions. The press will pounce on the opportunity to stick it to him, when they can do it and get away with it.

If Bo can live with knowing the press will turn on him in an instant when he struggles, then he can do whatever he wants. It's his career, and he is the one who will have to deal with whatever happens.

Just wish he would send Carl, Shawn, Barney or anyone else to answer questions on days when he has sand in his vagina. Would do him alot of good and save face a little bit for himself. But that's only my opinion.

This makes me hate the press, not Bo. I agree with you though, that is probably what the media will do. That's why the media blows.

I just sort of see that as the nature of the beast. It's part of the job, and you gotta be able to deal with it. Media's doing their own job too, and they are people after all. They'll be more inclined to write nice things about people who they respect than people who they don't and who treat them like dirt.

Being the HC is more than just taking care of a program at this level; you have to be the face and ambassador of the program.

All told though, we all know which one of those two things is more important to us.

If the media's reporting becomes informed by their personal opinion of Pelini, then they've compromised their professional responsibility to remain objective. The media as a whole in this country completely blows right now. It's not doing its job. Which is also kind of why this discussion is so stupid. Obama gave a speech about the Iraq war tonight, which I'm sure the entire media (left and right) is now butchering one way or another, and we're discussing whether we think Bo Pelini should be "nicer." God bless America.

Does Bo owe it to the press to be more respectful? Alot of people will argue either way.

But Bo will have to realize, when this team struggles or has a mediocre season, the press will absolutely hammer him. All of these guys will remember how disrespectful he has been with them, and how dry he has been in answering their questions. The press will pounce on the opportunity to stick it to him, when they can do it and get away with it.

If Bo can live with knowing the press will turn on him in an instant when he struggles, then he can do whatever he wants. It's his career, and he is the one who will have to deal with whatever happens.

Just wish he would send Carl, Shawn, Barney or anyone else to answer questions on days when he has sand in his vagina. Would do him alot of good and save face a little bit for himself. But that's only my opinion.

This makes me hate the press, not Bo. I agree with you though, that is probably what the media will do. That's why the media blows.

Agreed. If the press does this Bo will likely hand out another lockout, which wouldnt be any skin off my back. The media has gotten out of control these days and I agree with Bo more than I agree with these media pansies.

I love the internet.

Everyone has an opinion and most of the bad ones are filled with hyperbole and over-dramatization. I mean come on. Does his demeanor really matter? He has the utmost respect of all of his peers, pretty much across the board.

Knock it off. We'll all calm down after Saturday. Even Bo will too.

I realize that Bo is a passionate, passionate man

But yea, he needs to chill out a little bit. He gets paid a lot of money, so he needs to keep it together a little better on the sidelines and whatnot. I like winning as much as you guys, and I'm not gonna call for him to be fired or anything, but him freaking out on the sideline doesn't reflect well on the school or its fans.

I love the internet.

Everyone has an opinion and most of the bad ones are filled with hyperbole and over-dramatization. I mean come on. Does his demeanor really matter? He has the utmost respect of all of his peers, pretty much across the board.

How about YOU knock it off!!!!!

I just sort of see that as the nature of the beast. It's part of the job, and you gotta be able to deal with it. Media's doing their own job too, and they are people after all. They'll be more inclined to write nice things about people who they respect than people who they don't and who treat them like dirt.

Being the HC is more than just taking care of a program at this level; you have to be the face and ambassador of the program.

All told though, we all know which one of those two things is more important to us.

If the media's reporting becomes informed by their personal opinion of Pelini, then they've compromised their professional responsibility to remain objective. The media as a whole in this country completely blows right now. It's not doing its job. Which is also kind of why this discussion is so stupid. Obama gave a speech about the Iraq war tonight, which I'm sure the entire media (left and right) is now butchering one way or another, and we're discussing whether we think Bo Pelini should be "nicer." God bless America.

I don't think sports columnists have any professional responsibility to be objective. They are constantly offering their opinions, projections, predictions, and analyses. For example, when Bo shut down the media, reporters like Shatel wrote up his (asinine, IMO) commentary about it. Things like this.

Now, I think media covering something like Obama's speech is another matter, so I won't really get into that. But it's similar in a way, in both cases the media will hang on to every word the President/coach lets out of his mouth and analyze it pointlessly to death, probably overly critically. Only difference is in the case of football, all of those articles are stuff we fans want to consume and can't get enough of since it's news about our program.

I love the internet.

How about we don't make it personal. ;)

I don't think sports columnists have any professional responsibility to be objective. They are constantly offering their opinions, projections, predictions, and analyses. For example, when Bo shut down the media, reporters like Shatel wrote up his (asinine, IMO) commentary about it. Things like this.

Now, I think media covering something like Obama's speech is another matter, so I won't really get into that. But it's similar in a way, in both cases the media will hang on to every word the President/coach lets out of his mouth and analyze it pointlessly to death, probably overly critically. Only difference is in the case of football, all of those articles are stuff we fans want to consume and can't get enough of since it's news about our program.

If sports columnists begin deliberately attacking coaches and/or players just because they don't like them, then they've crossed the line. They're no longer "journalists" at that point, they're just whiny gossip peddlers. If they criticize a coach's gameplan or playcall, that's one thing. But to start criticizing a coach just because they don't like them isn't journalism.

Speaking of the media ban commentaries that came out, I don't know about Shatel's, but the one Sipple wrote got a pretty vicious backlash. He even blogged about it:

Epilogue to media-ban column

I think due to the internet the "media" gets less and less important every single day. There are posters here and other NU CFB web sites that are easily as good and informative as any of the newspaper or ESPN writers/announcers.

It would be nice if Bo had a little more patience with the media. But is that a big priority? Nahhh.....just win baby.

Bo has a job to do and so does the media but the media has shown in the past that they will intentionally ask the same questions over and over only to receive the same answer. I'm sorry but at my job I hear the same questions over and over and over from the same people that you just get to a point and you freak out because you can only repeat yourself so much.

I don't have a problem with the way Bo talks to the media because at times they deserve this type of "tough love". As long as Bo is putting a good product onto the field and winning games I don't care if we get our questions answered as long as its getting results on the field.

It's not like reporters enjoy asking the same question, though. They know the biggest story this off season has been quarterback, and their bosses have probably told them they need to gather as much information as possible. If that involves asking the same question every day, then I'm sure they have a "so be it" attitude.

I can understand Bo's frustration, and I also agree with OP in regards to Bo needing to lighten up a little bit. Bo likes to control the information released about his team, but news and communication is far different today than it ever has been. Both the media and Bo need to reach some type of common ground, because Husker fans craze Husker news and Bo doesn't really do a great job of giving any.

i leave for like an hour and a half and this is what happens. :moreinteresting

got to love the off season. :moreinteresting

bo is grooming these men by demanding the best from them, not by coddling them.

also, he owes the media nothing. it is unfortunate that we expect our coaches to be the heads of the pr department. he is the coach, he needs to just worry about coaching.

and who is to say he is not a nice guy. just because he has a temper and clams up at his presser is just his coaching style, it says nothing about his personality or who he is as a human being.

it is not like we have a leach or mangino on our hands.

haters gonna hate, players gonna play, coaches gonna coach. and worst of all; posters gonna post.

I'm watching all these interviews and it looks like Pelini needs to take a chill pill and show some more class and respect. With the way he paces the sidelines and talks to media no wonder all these calls are going against us. He also banned the media for three days which is weird and none else does. He seems to make rude or smart comments to the media and seems angry a lot. I just wish he would be a little more friendly. I don't want people to start viewing our program like that as we are very classy and good people and fans here in Nebraska. Hes from Ohio and may not get it. I would just like to know what your thoughts and opinions are on this. Or is it just me that sees this behavior?

Bo's not the first coach to have media conflicts. Mack Brown did the exact same thing to reporters for posting an injury during practice on twitter. What's the statement about, "He's from Ohio and may not get it"? Does something about being from the state of Ohio matter? Fact is Bo came from a tough, blue collar city and upbringing and sometimes that rough exterior comes through a bit too much. Bottom line is as long as Bo treats his players well and they have healthy relationships and have a solid program on and off the field, he can throw piss baloons at reporters for all I care.

Nothing against Ohio. I'm just saying we have a certain tradition here he may not get. Turner Gill should be the coach anyway. Or someone from Nebraska. No one has proven anything since Osborne left except proving they can lose. Bo has lost 8 games in two seasons and has yet to prove himself. Once he wins a title he can talk all he wants but until them he needs to relax.

Also I'm not asking him to be a pushover. I'm just asking him to show some class and respect and relax a bit. All of this anger towards the officials WILL cost us a big game eventually.

So if your saying Bo hasnt shown anything because he hasnt won a championship then by your standards Osborne didnt prove anything to you until 94. People like you almost convinced Osborne to go to Colorado. Lets give Bo some credit for the job he has done so far. Bo will get there, he didnt take over a great team like Tom. And WTF has Gill proved not more than BO sorry. I like Gill but he hasnt shown more than Bo. You think Bama fans care that saban is a dick. NO! The reporters ask dumb questions anyway. I get pissed when someone at work asks me something that is stupid.

I love the internet.

How about we don't make it personal. ;)

Your Mother!!! chuckleshuffle