Assessment

This is about like our games have been the past two years under Pelini. We play vanilla defense, very little blitzing, put up massive numbers on offense, give up a few drives on defense. Of course there are things to work on. We also had the chance to play a lot of guys. I'll take 49-10 any day.

The past two years our D has hardened after the first few games. Like I figured, our middle is a little shaky, but Lavonte had a spectacular first outing. Very fast, very good tackling. Defensive line didn't overwhelm but they smacked that QB around a little. Dennard looked sharp. No one even bothered to throw Prince's way. Gomes looked good.

All in all I was satisfied with the first game. Looking around the country we're no better of or worse than a lot of the other top programs playing scrubs. You take what you can from an opponent of this caliber and get ready for next week.

Taylor looks like a serious gamer, though. Been awhile since we had a QB put up a buck thirty with his feet. No negative plays in his first outing. No huddle problems. Excellent execution of the zone-read. And his passing was above where I thought it would be. The receivers are mostly to blame for his rare incompletions.

I'll second that. Really need to hope Meredith isn't seriously hurt, he was pretty big in there before the injury. And Niles Paul...sigh...how can this guy be So Jeckel and Hyde? O-line looked baffled at times. Heck, D-line did too. Whaley has good potential, but he was a bit lost at times.

The defense did a great job the first half of the game, but got soft in the second half. I'm not convinced that they will be 5 times better than last year, but we'll see. The offense I see being 5 times better, but that's not saying much.

I didn't see the first half due to family obligations.

I was NOT happy with the defense. I expected a lot more from the line. I felt like they were playing soft all game, very little pressure on the QB, and gave up way too many stupid yards. Those two scoring drives by WKU were awful.

Niles Paul dropped a ball. How shocking.

TMart - it's clear that nobody is in Bo's doghouse, but that Martinez earned the starting job. He looked great out there, in command and a true weapon. Not a bad game at all for a RFreshman.

Where was Roy? Seemed like Burkhead outplayed him. And what's up with DTray getting stuffed twice in the first half? I was very surprised by that.

Dumb penalties.

Overall, this did not live up to my expectations from Bo's descriptions of camp. I expected a lot more.

TMart - it's clear that nobody is in Bo's doghouse, but that Martinez earned the starting job. He looked great out there, in command and a true weapon. Not a bad game at all for a RFreshman.

Taylor had 22 plays for 263 yards and 3 scores. He did well, but let's keep in mind that he's not going to average 18 yards a carry once the competition ramps up. We'll see if he can keep up that yards-per-play ratio.

Regardless of Taylor's performance, I don't think you can look at it and authoritatively declare the doghouse talk dead. But it's also talk that nobody really wants to hear, so let's just shut it down for the moment, I suppose.

I was WTF when Cody Green entered, but was happy to see him (well, 'hear' him) deliver that touchdown pass to Paul. I'm happy that Green is showing improvement, but really, what are we doing here at QB. Green entered the game in the second quarter's beginning; where does that show Martinez really grabbed the job by the horns? QB is not a position we can rotate around like defensive tackle. Well, maybe it is, and Bo's breaking ground in this area.

But keep in mind this means Green is not getting a redshirt this year. Why, why, why...yeah, he got some snaps against WKU, but how many snaps are in the cards for him this year?

TMart - it's clear that nobody is in Bo's doghouse

:blink:

Yes? Martinez clearly offered something Lee does not. I have NOTHING against Lee, but there is a clear difference in the abilities these guys displayed. Even if Lee wasn't in Bo's doghouse, there's no reason to believe Martinez wouldn't have beaten him for the job.

What does a doghouse matter in the face of greater ability?

I think last year proved to use that your performance against non-conference opponents is not a good barometer for your season, especially those non-conference opponents that aren't good. I will say this though:

1) Martinez is very athletic. Some of the plays he made tonight, however, are not going to work against the better defenses in the Big 12. Missed tackles and flat out out-running defensive backs isn't something I'm going to expect from him here out. Great job tonight, but I am tempering all major judgments until I see play against Washington and K-state.

2) The injuries at linebacker and the lack of leadership is extremely clear at this position. WKU was gaining a lot of consistent yardage on simple runs between the tackles. We will need to shore this up against teams like K-State and Iowa State, two teams that love to run the football between the tackles.

3) The defensive backs played well for an opener, but they are going to need to shore up those deeper pass plays they let go in the game. We had a couple of floating passes that we didn't make a play on and ended up going for fairly significant games.

4) Penalties, penalties, penalties. As if they didn't bite us enough last year, they were at it again tonight. Block in the back, late hit out of bounds, one face mask, one helmet grab, holding, etc. Six penalties for 75 yards is brutal.

5) Last but not least, ball control. Two lost fumbles isn't good and somebody needs to tell P.J. Smith to keep the ball close to his body and not flail it around.

Granted that sounds like a lot of negativity, but I'm just being candid. A lot of things need to be shored up, but I was definitely most impressed with our running game tonight. A lot of good decisions and a lot of solid blocking. Very impressive.

t-mart is impressive, but he needs to be more accurate on the long ball. that concerns me.

green also impressed me, he showed a good arm and i think he has improved. better a managing the game, understanding the offensive, and the game seemed to slow down for him. i think he has improved a lot, but t-mart showed a lot, tough to top what he did on the field. good news is that we will be stacked at qb this season.

Taylor had 22 plays for 263 yards and 3 scores. He did well, but let's keep in mind that he's not going to average 18 yards a carry once the competition ramps up. We'll see if he can keep up that yards-per-play ratio.

Regardless of Taylor's performance, I don't think you can look at it and authoritatively declare the doghouse talk dead. But it's also talk that nobody really wants to hear, so let's just shut it down for the moment, I suppose.

I was WTF when Cody Green entered, but was happy to see him (well, 'hear' him) deliver that touchdown pass to Paul. I'm happy that Green is showing improvement, but really, what are we doing here at QB. Green entered the game in the second quarter's beginning; where does that show Martinez really grabbed the job by the horns? QB is not a position we can rotate around like defensive tackle. Well, maybe it is, and Bo's breaking ground in this area.

But keep in mind this means Green is not getting a redshirt this year. Why, why, why...yeah, he got some snaps against WKU, but how many snaps are in the cards for him this year?

I think Tmart did far better than "well". He was pure electric out there. You need to get over the fact Lee simply got beat out for #1 and for very good obvious reasons. Everybody wishes the best for Zac and he'll play this year. But Tmart & Green just bring more to the table. That's all it is.

We Have LOTS to work on. Brandon Kinnie looks like the most reliable reciever we have, Paul once again shows flashes of brilliance and stupidity. Bo's not stupid enough to burn a redshirt on a guy like Cody Green which tells me that although Martinez looked (very) good tonight, that he is not the clear cut starter right yet. But i do feel ITs now between MArtinez and Green and Lee is out. Losing Compton and fisher really hurt as you could tell the defense looked lost at times without there "quarterback" on defense. Lots of missed tackles/arm tackles. Sloppy O-line play, better than last year, but still sloppy. Dumb penelties. Excited and fearful for this year. Usually your greatest improvement comes between week 1 and 2. Hoping that's true and in Bo I trust. My take, W/O any improvement we could win ten games this year but this isn't a MNC or even a BCS team yet.

I think Tmart did far better than "well". He was pure electric out there. You need to get over the fact Lee simply got beat out for #1 and for very good obvious reasons. Everybody wishes the best for Zac and he'll play this year. But Tmart & Green just bring more to the table. That's all it is.

bshirt, we head into Big 12 play and Taylor will be running the ball very well if he has half of that ypc.

His passing is really going to need to come into his own. Hope he grows into it over the year.

I believe Meredith was not seriously injured. They only kept him out because the game was out of hand already.

Wasn't it only like 21-3 at the time? Seriously, I don't remember, I just know he was injured a couple of minutes before halftime, he went to the locker room and didn't play again. In fairness, I understand that a score like 21-3 should be a game out of hand vs. an opponent like WKU.

Hey it's the first game but I saw alot of team unity which is always great a 49-10 win is solid I expect to see more of concrete d and o next games and then we will see but overall I'm proud to raise a beer to the huskers tonight and I hope everyone will raise one with me

bshirt, we head into Big 12 play and Taylor will be running the ball very well if he has half of that ypc.

His passing is really going to need to come into his own. Hope he grows into it over the year.

i was most impressed with t-marts ability to throw the short outs and slants, that is extremely valuable, especially if you can run. he also had really good pocket presence and patients, i am concerned about his ability to throw the deep ball, he needs to develop that.

green looked like a pretty decent passer, maybe as good as lee. it is going to be an interesting/exciting year, fellas.