Martinez

np_husker

So how did Martinez, a redshirt freshman, beat out last year's starter, Lee, and a former blue-chip recruit in Green to become the first freshman to start a season opener in the history of Nebraska football?

Watson chalks it up to Martinez's competitiveness. The best hate to lose and work to make sure they don't. Watson got to know him and quickly saw Martinez fit the description.

By far the best part of this article. Out of everyone on the team, it's absolutely gotta be the QB who possesses this quality. Take the competitiveness away from Frazier or Frost, and our teams in the 90s aren't nearly as dangerous or successful...and maybe not even national champs.

IMO "hate to lose and work to make sure they don't" was the one thing Crouch didn't possess, at least not to the level of Frazier or Frost. If Martinez plays with the same firey competitiveness as them, we're golden.

Disagree.

Crouch didn't have 50% of the talent on his teams as Frazier & Frost did (except the 99 defense....they "should" have been in the NC game). It amazes me that he never gets credit for carrying NU on his back for three years.

I would have to agree with bshirt here (don't hold that against me :laughpound ). Frost and Frazier had some of the best OLs ever assembled in the history of CFB. Frazier had LP and Frost had AG. Not that Crouch did not have talent or talent around him, the man was the only one out of the three to win a Heisman, but Frazier and Frost had more.

:backtotopic

I'm not comparing the talent on those teams. I'm talking about the "want to win at all costs" quality these guys possessed. There's no question Crouch possessed a certain level of fire and desire out there - he was a successful QB, so he defenitely had some competitiveness. I just always got the feeling he didn't quite have the same level of competitiveness as his predecessors, who would do anything it took for their team to pull out the win.

You can counter all you want that I'm wrong about Crouch, but personally this is how I felt when watching these three QBs. So good luck changing my mind 'cause it's made up.

Crouch was a gamer, but guys like Frazier, Frost, Wistrom, Peter Bros had a competitive fire that was at the core of that mid-90's run. That '95 team, thanks to Frazier and Christian Peter, didn't like beating teams - it liked DESTROYING teams. They would go out with the same mindset against Pacific that they did against Florida. They took pleasure in demoralizing, humiliating, and embarrassing their opponent, not just winning. Crouch wasn't cutthroat like those guys were, regardless of the talent around him.

One of the reasons the Holiday bowl victory was so elating for Husker fans is that it was a return to that mid-90's feeling. Suh and company came out with a chip on their shoulder. They didn't just want to beat Arizona, they wanted to CRUSH them. They wanted to prove, without a sliver of a doubt, who the real men were on that field. It was the first time the team came onto the field with that kind of attitude since the 90's.

They just need to transfer that feeling, that anger and fire, to every single week, day, and rep of this year. That's what made those mid 90's teams so special (besides the freakish talent they had).

So how did Martinez, a redshirt freshman, beat out last year's starter, Lee, and a former blue-chip recruit in Green to become the first freshman to start a season opener in the history of Nebraska football?

Watson chalks it up to Martinez's competitiveness. The best hate to lose and work to make sure they don't. Watson got to know him and quickly saw Martinez fit the description.

By far the best part of this article. Out of everyone on the team, it's absolutely gotta be the QB who possesses this quality. Take the competitiveness away from Frazier or Frost, and our teams in the 90s aren't nearly as dangerous or successful...and maybe not even national champs.

IMO "hate to lose and work to make sure they don't" was the one thing Crouch didn't possess, at least not to the level of Frazier or Frost. If Martinez plays with the same firey competitiveness as them, we're golden.

Disagree.

Crouch didn't have 50% of the talent on his teams as Frazier & Frost did (except the 99 defense....they "should" have been in the NC game). It amazes me that he never gets credit for carrying NU on his back for three years.

I would have to agree with bshirt here (don't hold that against me :laughpound ). Frost and Frazier had some of the best OLs ever assembled in the history of CFB. Frazier had LP and Frost had AG. Not that Crouch did not have talent or talent around him, the man was the only one out of the three to win a Heisman, but Frazier and Frost had more.

lol!

EZ-E, alright! :hellloooo

Good to hear he's got that fire in him...hope it makes all the difference in the world. I think he's got a ton of talent, and if he's got the right attitude on top of it...well then he'll be a fun one to watch for the next 4 years.

I still think we need to hold off on the huge expectations...he's going to have to play well against teams much better than WKU, and he'll have to beat some teams by throwing the ball well.