Old Habbits Die Hard

epocSoN

Putting a fumbling machine at qb like Paul.....well, that's vintage SW.

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

The bolded part is uncalled for. He is a freshman QB, excited, inexperienced, and raw. What do you expect from the kid?

The rest of you're post i agree with but don't pass that kind of judgment on the kid yet. This is only his second game EVER. This isn't anything like the Zac Lee and Cody Green fiasco of last year.

He's talking about Paul in the wildcat. He loves T-Mart. But there is still no reason to put the ball on the turf 4 times. Freshman or not. If it was Rex last year, would people have said "oh, it's just a rookie mistake"?

I agree with the poster who said it seems like we get STUFFED on 3rd and short waaaay too often against weaker teams.

I agree with the poster who said Watson seems to start calling plays differently right about the time 1 or 2 other plays seem to start working. I like a philosophy of "i am going to run the same play, all day, unless you stop it...then I will run another play until you stop that one."

Does anyone remember playing football and just having 1 or 2 plays that seemed unstoppable for your team? It's a great feeling.

I DISagree with the poster who said, "Bo will fix it, it will be better next week." You don't just 'fix' fumbles and penalties. That is discipline and attention to detail that takes a whole fall camp to become accustomed to. I think you can cut back on them and eventually become disciplined, but I hope you're right.

I agree that we have looked much much more explosive this year so far and definetly have a couple of home run hitters. BUT I think unless we can consistently impose our will, we will be relying on the D again this year.

I think the biggest thing in my opinion is just finishing 4 quarters, and getting more game reps. without mistakes.

just my thoughts

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

Yes, putting Paul at QB.... what about the 4 times that your boy Martinez is down for putting the ball on the turf?

We're talking about "your" boy SW putting Niles at qb. Please enlighten me how great that was.

Hmm, a little testy when you get called out, eh?

First off, Watson is not "my boy"... I have never been a major supporter or major hater of Watson, so no idea where you pulled that one out from.... As far as justifying putting Niles there, zoogies summed it up pretty damn well. We were up 31-3. We wanted to throw something out there and see how it works, give something else for opponents to have to game plan against, whatever it was. BUT, saying that Niles is not one of the best athletes on this team is a joke. If he holds on to the ball, he can be downright lethal. There is no reason for anyone to apologize for trying something new at game speed in a game that we have won.

Now, same question. If you're going to attack Niles, be ready to defend the guy you've done nothing but praise.

Like you never get "testy"?

Niles is a great talent but you can't deny he's a fumble machine. I don't recall seeing a NU player "ever" who fumbles as consistently as that guy. Now into his 2nd year of dropping the ball. Have you??

Yes, Tmart made some bad mistakes today. You got me there. I still "love" his upside though and desperately want him on the field. Surely a little slack can be given to a freshman on his 2nd start? At the very least he's a full-tilt threat to score anytime/anywhere with his feet.

The bolded part is uncalled for. He is a freshman QB, excited, inexperienced, and raw. What do you expect from the kid?

The rest of you're post i agree with but don't pass that kind of judgment on the kid yet. This is only his second game EVER. This isn't anything like the Zac Lee and Cody Green fiasco of last year.

I think he was saying no one was surprised when Paul fumbled after being put in the wildcat.

That's right, thank you sir. I thought it was obvious......my mistake.

WE b---- if we play vanilla. We b---- when the kids make mistakes.

We put up what 400 yards of offense, how many times last year?

We b----- about the QB play, we b----- about coaching.

Give it a rest, next week will be different.

amen. our offense is averaging almost 500 yards of offense in the first two games. there is waaaayyyy too much pessimism going on here.

Our offense did the same last year during the Sun Belt stretch. Numbers mean next to nothing right now. The offense is making way too many mistakes for the level of competition and I too am concerned.

that had more to do with injuries than the competition level.

when i saw this thread was titled "old habits die hard", i assumed it was about how huskerboard always goes into meltdown mode/only sees the worst/overreacts even after solid wins. i should have known better.

Thats because they like to sneak it in on ya wink.gif

Personally it can get tiring, and at the same time its good to talk about Husker football good or bad. I just wish there would be a thread on Mondays that was title "I overreacted a bit". People would just jot a few words, like.. its going to be okay, emotions got me. Then we would get on the same page instead of so much anxiety for the perfect game, the perfect season.

As for the OP, the last I checked we haven't wont a conference championship lately. We haven't won a BCS game or been invited lately. This team shows promise and is a work in progress. You got to take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride the best you can. I have no problem with fire starters as long as its legit.

the way i see it, it was a solid win and this is the time to work out the kinks. BO has a lot to harp on, and that will be good for the team. if we just went out and destroyed teams, it would be hard to get better or stay focused. these early "struggles" will only make the team better. excellence is forged through adversity.

The whole point of this thread was to display that I was worried that our team is showing signs of having the same problems we had last year that killed us, but even though I am worried, I am reserving judgment until we see them on the field for a few more weeks. I don't really see that as saying we are going to suck or going into meltdown mode. I don't know maybe you guys are referring to other posters.

Our offense will be in trouble in conference play. I don't see any differences between last year's offense and this year's offense so far. The o-line is still undisciplined, the power running game is a joke, and now we have a QB that is pretty much one dimensional. Yeah, he can throw a little bit, but nothing that would be seen as much of a threat to defenses.

I see us in a similar situation as we were last year. Hopefully our defense can be elite once again to get us through games.